Author Topic: Sim cards  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Sailor291

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
Sim cards
« on: 14:59 07-Jan-2019 »
Does anybody know if a Ukrainian sim card will work in a U.S. Iphone?  If so, how does it work, do you pay for a months service or is it pay for a certain amount and when that runs out you top it off again?  Can you please tell me how much they cost, is there any other logistical items that go along with them?  Any help is appreciated.

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
Re: Sim cards
« Reply #1 on: 15:47 07-Jan-2019 »
Does anybody know if a Ukrainian sim card will work in a U.S. iPhone?  If so, how does it work, do you pay for a months service or is it pay for a certain amount and when that runs out you top it off again?  Can you please tell me how much they cost, is there any other logistical items that go along with them?  Any help is appreciated.
If your iPhone is not sim-locked, any SIM card will work.
You can easily use pre-paid SIM (you buy them to street vendors or in most supermarket or in cellphone shop).
Around 100 uah monthly will give you a bunch of call/sms/data
You top-up using these small kiosks in most mall (or by credit card). The number is valid for up to 1 year from your last top-up

Tnic

« Reply #2 on: 19:09 07-Jan-2019 »
If it takes a SIM and as mentioned is not locked to a carrier, it should.  Go to a local phone shop and show em your phone, they'll know.

The SIMs are dirt cheap here.  You can get a month to month or a plan.  I have Vodafone with unlimited data for about 115 UAH a month and its a month-month deal.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #3 on: 04:53 08-Jan-2019 »
I have an iPhone 6s+, all my family has iPhones here, iPhone 7+ etc.) ..... buy a sim card (I use LIFE) have it made into a micro card if needed, insert and use. I have no plan, I just put 100UAH on the card every month through Privat24. I never use up the 100 actually and sometimes I have 500 on it and don't even know. I've had the same number for 10 years. Life carges a couple UAH a day even if you don't use it, not a big deal because that is about 7cents a day.

So yeah it works fine. Look carefully at the tariff plans each carrier provides...for those sometimes you have to sign a contract (KyivStar has that as I have been told). You may or may not need one. I do not because I use Free WiFi evey where I go (asking for the passwords along the way) since the phone stores them forever it works great.

PLUS (Public Safety Announcement) if you are driving you should not be using the phone anyway. That is about the only time I am ever off the networks and defaulted to 3g.

UKUA

« Reply #4 on: 13:54 08-Jan-2019 »
I have an iPhone 6s+, all my family has iPhones here, iPhone 7+ etc.) ..... buy a sim card (I use LIFE) have it made into a micro card if needed, insert and use. I have no plan, I just put 100UAH on the card every month through Privat24. I never use up the 100 actually and sometimes I have 500 on it and don't even know. I've had the same number for 10 years. Life carges a couple UAH a day even if you don't use it, not a big deal because that is about 7cents a day.

So yeah it works fine. Look carefully at the tariff plans each carrier provides...for those sometimes you have to sign a contract (KyivStar has that as I have been told). You may or may not need one. I do not because I use Free WiFi every where I go (asking for the passwords along the way) since the phone stores them forever it works great.

PLUS (Public Safety Announcement) if you are driving you should not be using the phone anyway. That is about the only time I am ever off the networks and defaulted to 3g.

Life balance is a free call to *111# and your cellphone will display the balance remaining. Add *111# to your phone directory under, say, 111AAA so that it appears at the top of your contacts.

If you already knew that, then apologies for stating the obvious.

We have 8+, 7+ and 7 and all work without problem on LifeCell. We were previously with KyivStar but left when the SIM only benefits were reduced over time.

Offline Sailor291

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 14:42 08-Jan-2019 »
Thank everybody for the info.  It will be very helpful. 

Offline Sailor291

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 14:41 16-Jan-2019 »
I have a follow up question.  Does anybody know if you have a sim card for company A and call another cell phone that uses the same company A, does it charge you or is it free?

Tnic

« Reply #7 on: 14:57 16-Jan-2019 »
I have a follow up question.  Does anybody know if you have a sim card for company A and call another cell phone that uses the same company A, does it charge you or is it free?

This IS Ukraine ya know.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #8 on: 04:27 17-Jan-2019 »

I understand that some of the companies do this, (KyivStar, Life) though I never keep track of who I call as far as their sim is concerned, calls are pretty cheap and often people within wi-fi shot will use Viber, WeChat, FaceTime, etc. to make calls for free. When I think about it I use Viber quite often from home on my phone to others. To China I use WeChat point to point.

The real problem is the total lack of VoiceMail and it is difficult to get people to even send a text as backup if you don't answer the phone. The rudeness abounds here and any conversation will be interrupted by a phone call.

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 150
« Reply #9 on: 11:58 17-Jan-2019 »
At least with Kyivstar it is free.  And since Kyivstar has by far the most subscribers, this is a great advantage and the reason why at the end this is normally the cheapest even though other companies might look slightly cheaper.  Because of this they are normally not

Tnic

« Reply #10 on: 12:20 17-Jan-2019 »
Here's what I have.  And yes they DO offer unlimited in network calls.

https://www.vodafone.ua/en/privatnim-klientam/rates/vodafone-supernet-unlim

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 150
« Reply #11 on: 14:46 17-Jan-2019 »
Mobile phone networks
Rank   Operator   Market share
1   Kyivstar                   45%