Author Topic: Laughing off the Election: Volodymyr Zelenskiy  (Read 2087 times)

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 993
  • -Receive: 1312
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: Laughing off the Election: Volodymyr Zelenskiy
« Reply #60 on: 20:18 25-May-2019 »
So, to update my understanding of the Zelensky Presidency to date.  Of course the RADA did swear Zelensky in, after Poroshenko did whatever he could to make sure his appointees would be difficult to get rid of.  Zelensky dissolved the RADA within minutes of his swearing in, but they won't go, because the constitution prohibits dissolving the RADA within six months of the end of terms and elections. 
Kolomoisky's and formerly Yanukovych's lawyer has been appointed to a high post, by Zelensky.  Kolomoisky , having sworn to get PrivatBank back, is pursuing a lawsuit to achieve this.   Kolomoisky is returning to Ukraine from Israel, or is in country already.   Zelensky says he will take a close look at the new Ukrainian language law, which as Russian is his first language, and unless he is a hypocrite like former President, Yuschenko (who sent his children to Russian language schools,) must be annoying. 

Saakashvili has asked Zelensky to reinstate his citizenship and will try to force a decision by entering Ukraine in the next couple of days.  This is certainly the first pure test of Zelensky's intentions as a reformer.  Saakashvili will eventually be a thorn in Zelensky's side with regard to Zelensky's dealings with Kolomoisky, but Saakashvili is probably the most genuine and incorruptible reformer Ukraine has had since the fall of the USSR.  Although I can't even think about Saakashvili without remembering video of Saakashvili chewing on his necktie, during the Russian invasion of Georgia.
« Last Edit: 20:28 25-May-2019 by David Rochlin »

Offline UKUA

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 147
« Reply #61 on: 20:43 25-May-2019 »

.... but Saakashvili is probably the most genuine and incorruptible reformer Ukraine has had since the fall of the USSR

Spot on!

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3095
  • -Receive: 4811
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #62 on: 04:28 26-May-2019 »
Popcorn anyone??

I wonder how disappointing it is to Z and his (cough) team that they can not write both sides of the narrative? Welcome to RL.

With-in minutes of his swearing in they demonstrated their ignorance of the constitution. "You have 2 months to do this.".... No bitch they have 6, you can't change the constitution like you can a script.

After 243 years the USA can afford to have a kookie president and recover (even a couple), Ukraine can't afford missing any markers after only being in business for 28 years. There are no second takes on this stage. Dork.

But you made your point, the joke has worn thin, time to resign, and go back to doing the job of repeating your joke writer's lines.

« Last Edit: 04:42 26-May-2019 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: 06:15 26-May-2019 »
In Ukraine, respecting the Constitution can sometimes be optional.  Zelensky does not have control of the Army, maybe not even control of the police.  But, he just got elected with a 70 plus percent plurality.  That is a power that Oligarchs and Parliamentarians might not fully appreciate.  Maybe he can incite a helpful mob?

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #64 on: 04:01 01-Jun-2019 »
O.K., so in recent news Zelensky appointed a number of people.  Some of them are reformers or people with a reputation for fighting corruption.  Interestingly one of the guys who did fight corruption did it from within the Yanukovych Administration. When is that illegal and when is it not?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-president-appointments-factbo-idUSKCN1T1250

Saakashvili is back in Ukraine, his citizenship restored.  Zelensky took the Kremlin-based midget up on his challenge to do this.  But, the Kremlin-based midget thinks Russia will win either way, because Saakashvili will eventually shine light on any dealings by government officials with Kolomoisky.   But, at this time, Saakashvili has only praises for the Ukraine he finds to be a  "New Country."
https://www.rferl.org/a/citizenship-restored-saakashvili-due-to-return-to-ukraine/29970428.html