Expatriate Cafe > Posting for postings sake

Ukrainian food PRETENDING to be another cuisine?

(1/4) > >>

Tnic:
Why can't they just look it up on Youtube for gawd sakes?

Made a trek to our main Silpo for another 6 pk of USA brewed IPA -they have a pretty fair selection now- and while wifey was ordering some favs at the salad/deli section, I noticed they had Mexican Burritos-Chicken.  Umm ok, lets give it a try without much in the way of expectations.  Good thing.

We bought 2 and I ate em both.  They turned out to be more shaurma than burrito.  No Mex flavor at all, in fact not much at all in the way of flavor.  No discernible garlic and no cumin, which is found in most Mexican burritos.  Even salt, smetana and a generous dousing of Franks didn't help them.  The chicken was well shredded, but they use the usual lavash instead of a tortilla and yes there's a big difference.  And they had pickles?  Seriously?

So now I have a full belly of totally forgettable grub.  The Lakefront IPA did however aid in dealing with the disappointment.  :D

It isn't just Silpo either.  Last year a new Mexican cafe opened up nearby.  Same thing.  "We'll CALL it Mexican, who's gonna know?" 

The last time I went it (last winter) I ordered a beef chimichanga.  I had to send it back and to my shock they comped it off the bill.  The chimi was a fried flour tortilla (lavash?) taco, the beef was like rubber and again NO flavor one could associate with Mex food.  Their best item on the menu was the cheeseburger and it was a pitifully small thing.  The patty was slightly larger that a 1 UAH coin.

GOD I miss TexMex BBQ in Lviv.  The ONLY place in UA to get it right.  RIP Chef Mike.

David Rochlin:
Ukrainians unanimously hate spicy food, except their own or Georgian.  I think they might be O.K. with it if they try mildly spicy Mexican.  It seems to me that it is the idea of spicy food and not the actuality, that Ukrainians have problems with. 

Tnic:

--- Quote from: David Rochlin on 15:23 23-Feb-2019 ---Ukrainians unanimously hate spicy food, except their own or Georgian.  I think they might be O.K. with it if they try mildly spicy Mexican.  It seems to me that it is the idea of spicy food and not the actuality, that Ukrainians have problems with.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, they'll gobble down that spicy mustard that burns your nose hairs off, or the Lays Strong with wasabi (JAYZUZ), but the mere thought of hot chili peppers sends them running off screaming like little school girls. 

My wife DOES like the adjika however.  The pasty stuff in the tiny jar.  One of my favorite things to give pelmeni some zip.

And then there's this apparent aversion to FLAVOR.  Most of the food here is flat line like the cheese selection here, you know, 120 varieties and it all tastes the same?

But I wasn't complaining about the lack of heat.  Those burritos weren't even close, neither was what was passing for burritos and chimis at that so called Mex joint in town.  They just throw some crap together and then decide what to label it as.  For God's sake search YouTube for the recipes and then collect the right ingredients to make something that comes close to the real thing.

We went to a so called Italian place a year ago that had NO Italian food on the menu except pizza!  No pasta not even carbonara!  The grilled steaks were awesome, but they weren't Italian.

Ted:
THey are even too Reggie lazy to look up the proper ingredients on the net. The food here in Ukraine, s u c k s donkey balls all across the board. NOTHING here has any redeeming value, except for maybe nutrition, maybe. Tasteless boring crap. ALL if it.

David Rochlin:
Well, as for Italian, my main issue is places that only offer Alfredo style, white sauces on pasta and no tomato based sauce.  Once I asked for pepperoni on a pizza and got a bunch of hot yellow banana peppers, but that was a translation issue. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version