Author Topic: you can't leave ukraine for a trip if you have debts  (Read 2346 times)

Offline bankerontheroad

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Hello to everyone

I don't know if someone know this rules in ukraine or if this rule is real but I am in contact in kiev where I am working now for several weeks with a girl. Everything is ok at least until now so I propose her to come with me on  a trip in paris. She told me that she will be very happy to do it but that unfortunately she has some debts and that she could not leave the country if she doesn't pay at least a part of this debt; do you think it is true according to the ukrainian law or it is just another scam..

Thank you in advance

Michael

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 127
Re: you can't leave ukraine for a trip if you have debts
« Reply #1 on: 16:31 03-Mar-2019 »
Could be true. 

https://www.advokatservice.kiev.ua/zapret-na-vyezd-iz-ukrainy/

You can try google translate with the link if necessary

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2451
  • -Receive: 1860
« Reply #2 on: 18:02 03-Mar-2019 »
This sounds like a scam to me.

It'd take a court order to take a passport away for anything. Most debts are private and unless she was seriously in default there wouldn't be any courts involved.

What ever happens do not offer to cover her debts! Never send money to someone that you've never met and even if you've met them be wary.

In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 18:18 03-Mar-2019 »
I do also agree with all of this, but nevertheless it could be true

And just on the face of it, without knowing any more info, there is even some chance that it could be true because 1) it is a little too extreme and with too much negative social stigma to be just made up and 2) most Ukrainian gold-diggers will not decline an offer of a (presumably) fully paid trip to Paris

But of course do not transfer any money for this and keep us posted
« Last Edit: 18:31 03-Mar-2019 by K24 »

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4013
  • -Receive: 1729
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #4 on: 19:05 03-Mar-2019 »
I do also agree with all of this, but nevertheless it could be true

And just on the face of it, without knowing any more info, there is even some chance that it could be true because 1) it is a little too extreme and with too much negative social stigma to be just made up and 2) most Ukrainian gold-diggers will not decline an offer of a (presumably) fully paid trip to Paris

But of course do not transfer any money for this and keep us posted

Unless said gold digger is more interested in parting you from your hard earned than gay Paris.

This one of the oldest romance scams out there.  Surprised they still try it and in this day of digital access to info still surprised it still works.

Good on the OP for asking first.  Shows the "big head" is still in some degree of control. 

Bet the pics have been sweet tho.
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Offline bankerontheroad

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 19:17 03-Mar-2019 »
Thank you very much for all your answers. I will ask her first the court decision and I will see. I will keep you inform of course  :)

Thank you again

michael

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 933
  • -Receive: 740
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #6 on: 08:02 04-Mar-2019 »
Only government debts...

Offline UKUA

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 130
  • -Receive: 161
« Reply #7 on: 11:29 04-Mar-2019 »
Another possibility to throw into the discussion. Does your friend actually have a Ukrainian passport? Have you been told by her that she has been abroad many times. If so, you should see a lot of entry/exit stamps.

Further, yet another possibility, is she from Crimea? Could she have a Russian passport, as issued to those who were forcibly annexed? These unfortunate people can enter/exit Ukraine ONLY into Crimea.

However, the above said, I agree AKM.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #8 on: 13:12 04-Mar-2019 »
I assume you have skyped with this person?
A married woman or a guy posing as a woman would "not" desire a free trip abroad for obvious reasons.

Maybe I am too cautious but I avoid women who carry a large amount of debt, such as charge cards.

Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline bankerontheroad

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 20:00 12-Mar-2019 »
As promised the following of the story...Yes it was true the bank where she has debts around 150.000 grivnas got a decision from the court and she couldn't go abroad if she doesn't pay her debt to this bank. To danno99 I have made more than skype with her because we met in kiev several times the last weeks :) :)

But now the problem is a little bit different ...and your precious advices are always very useful for me. Honestly she doesn't ask me directly to pay her debts. Of course she would be happy to cancel this debts and this problem but many times she told me that may be I should meet a woman with no financial problem and that everything will be more easy for me. But me it is with her that I want to leave ukraine...So in my place what you would do ? Pay these debts ( after all it is just around 6000 USD) and see what's happen with the risk that after she will never leave ukraine with me...or pay nothing and wait...Honestly I don't know what to think and what to do...Thank you in advance for your advices !

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 20:35 12-Mar-2019 »
1) Wait how things develop
2) If you feel desperately that you cannot wait, then give her a loan documented in a contract.  The amount is probably about the amount of an annual Ukrainian salary.

How old is she?
« Last Edit: 20:38 12-Mar-2019 by K24 »

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2451
  • -Receive: 1860
« Reply #11 on: 21:24 12-Mar-2019 »
It's her debt. Her responsibility.. Not yours!

Take her to Odesa for a vacation if needed.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 501
  • -Receive: 341
« Reply #12 on: 23:50 12-Mar-2019 »
Hello to everyone

I don't know if someone know this rules in ukraine or if this rule is real but I am in contact in kiev where I am working now for several weeks with a girl. Everything is ok at least until now so I propose her to come with me on  a trip in paris. She told me that she will be very happy to do it but that unfortunately she has some debts and that she could not leave the country if she doesn't pay at least a part of this debt; do you think it is true according to the ukrainian law or it is just another scam..

Thank you in advance

Michael
This is in fact a law.
I am guessing she has debt related to an apartment or car purchase.
My ex-wife was in a similar situation.
Debt like credit for appliances is not a travel blocker.
I don't envy the credit situation in Ukraine. Very odious terms.

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4013
  • -Receive: 1729
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #13 on: 06:54 13-Mar-2019 »
Thanks for the update!

So;
- You know the girl and have met her several times.  A good sign she's genuine.
- You know or have reason to believe the debt/travel block is valid.

The next questions;
- How well do you think you know her?
- Can you afford to pay her debt?  If you choose to do so.
- Can you afford to kiss that money goodbye and never expect to see it again.

IF you decide to pay the debt, I would go to the bank with her to do so rather than just give her the money.

My one experience in this area;
My (now) ex accrued about $2000 worth of appliance debt shortly after we met, then quit her job to be with me in Moldova (while I was serving my 90 day exile).  Later we married and I paid it.  Things didn't work out between us, but the debt and her were on the up and up.

You've been offered some good advise, but in the end, its entirely up to you to decide.
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #14 on: 14:24 13-Mar-2019 »
How much do she pay the bank every month on this debt ?

An alternative to pay all the Debt could be to go to the bank/creditor and say if the lift the travel ban you will pay ex. 1500 USD, and she will start an downpayment plan of minimum200 USD every month (interests are high in ukrain so make sure it covers more than the interest.)