Expatriate Life > I recommend

Surface shipment of household goods to US

(1/3) > >>

cc3:
My lovely Ukrainian wife and I have decided to pull the plug on our residential Ukrainian life (Lviv) and move to the US. My wife has just earned her master's degree and my stepdaughter her bachelor's degree. They have both just also have received their green cards. The time is ripe!

The household goods to be moved are an indoor stationary cycle trainer, a bicycle, and all of our clothes. I would ship the trainer and the bike, unless it would be prohibitively expensive, and all of the excess clothing that could not fit in our airline transported luggage. Shipment speed is not a factor; the slowest but cheapest means would be fine. Does anyone have experience with surface shipment between the US and Ukraine? Is it feasible/possible?

AkMike:
Only based on my moving to Ukraine, not the return trip.  I'd get rid of the trainer and bike here and get others stateside. I came with the barest of essentials and my library. The cost of extra bags on the plane should be looked at VS the cost of replacement clothes. Styles for the ladies will be different stateside.

shuggah21:
MEEST ships from Ukraine to US. I used them when I moved to Ukraine. If you select shipping by sea, as opposed to air, you can save money. It takes about six weeks.

http://meest.us/m/en/poslugi/dostavka_posilok_z_ukraini_do_ssha/dostavka_posilok_ta_vantajiv_z_ukraini_do_ssha.html

Tnic:

--- Quote from: cc3 on 17:57 25-Sep-2019 ---My lovely Ukrainian wife and I have decided to pull the plug on our residential Ukrainian life (Lviv) and move to the US. My wife has just earned her master's degree and my stepdaughter her bachelor's degree. They have both just also have received their green cards. The time is ripe!

The household goods to be moved are an indoor stationary cycle trainer, a bicycle, and all of our clothes. I would ship the trainer and the bike, unless it would be prohibitively expensive, and all of the excess clothing that could not fit in our airline transported luggage. Shipment speed is not a factor; the slowest but cheapest means would be fine. Does anyone have experience with surface shipment between the US and Ukraine? Is it feasible/possible?

--- End quote ---

No advise on shipping, but agree with Mike.

Congratulations to your two lovely ladies!  They have the right fella to help them assimilate.
Best wishes for a safe and successful journey.

cc3:
Thanks, Tim, and Mike, and all other forum members with whom I have communicated pleasantly, mostly, over the last 6 eventful years in Ukraine. It's off to a new adventure, especially for my ladies. I will miss life in Lviv, but, I think I miss more, now, riding my gravel bike on and off the much safer roads of the US, American football season, celebrating US holidays with family and compatriots, and I know I will delight in watching my Ukrainian girls, soon to be Americans (three years), discovering all that is good about our country...rather than the negative propagandistic anti-American crap spewed out by our own PC, "woke" media.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version