Author Topic: U.S. Social Security Payments new laws  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
U.S. Social Security Payments new laws
« on: 16:24 29-Mar-2016 »
ok.

So. As of right now, Americans are no longer able to take their Social Security checks from the Embassy, deposit them in a Ukrainian Bank and wait 4 weeks to get their US$ cash. That program is now officially DEAD. As in DEAD as of this week dead.

So...if you DO not have a USA account and were receiving your check and going through the above route the NEW procedure IS:

Set up a direct deposit account with MC-Debit Card from USDirect at

www.usdirectexpress.com

it is an easy procedure but you will have to actually call them at 1-800-333-1795 and set up via phone. Process takes 10 minutes, your new debit card will be delivered in a few weeks and off you go.  I was the first in Ukraine to set this up as I just found out about it today.

BUT there are a few things you NEED to know!

The address to send the Debit Card is:

Department of State Con. Svc. American Citizen Services,
5850 Kyiv Place
Washington DC 20521

---- this is the direct address to the Diplomatic pouch that goes to Kyiv Embassy for you to pick up your new debit card. Give them THIS Address!!! No matter what your address is on your check.

The start-up process takes a month or two and you will still be receiving your paper check at the Embassy....so......you gotta figure out on your own HOW to cash these paper checks until the electronic system kicks in. I figured mine out and it must be so on an individual basis....sorry, I know that part sucks.

Once up and running your check will be deposited on the first of the month and funds available on your MasterCard Debit Card (Good in Ukraine) immediately. You can only withdraw in UAH NOT $. I repeat not $. A service charge of $4 per transaction will be applied so really, just extract large chunks of UAH and be happy.

Your Ukrainian Cell phone number has too many numbers in it and it confuses the USDirect system, they will put a 999-9999 number in, just give them an e-mail address incase they need to contact you.

Until Ukraine gets a few laws passed there will be NO Direct Deposit into Ukrainian banks from the US Government. This new system with the Debit card is gonna be all we get for some time to come.

PM me if you have questions. The Embassy will be referring other Americans to my phone number if they have questions and problems also.

Fun times gents, fun times.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2492
  • -Receive: 1898
Re: U.S. Social Security Payments new laws
« Reply #1 on: 17:13 29-Mar-2016 »
Good going Fraucha! That should iron out the rough parts for others!  ;D
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Carlusha

« Reply #2 on: 07:09 30-Mar-2016 »
Excellent post, Fraucha. Your helpful informative post illustrates exactly why expatua exists for the benefit of many.

In fact, I have set the topic sticky.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #3 on: 08:03 30-Mar-2016 »

PM me if you have questions. The Embassy will be referring other Americans to my phone number if they have questions and problems also.

I hope they are paying you for your services.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 13:13 30-Mar-2016 »

You mean....I can make some salo money on the side???

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #5 on: 13:20 30-Mar-2016 »

You mean....I can make some salo money on the side???

I wouldn't be handling phone calls for the US Embassy for free. They charged me 80 dollars to just put extra pages in my passport, which used to be a free service.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 11:36 17-May-2016 »
UPDATE:

If you ever talk to the staff at Direct Express and they ask you about or for your address...what they are really asking is where was the card sent...and that is the aforementioned Washington DC address !!! Not Kyiv or whatever hovel you inhabit out here in the wilds of goat land.

John

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 04:56 13-Jul-2016 »
Update(again)

Finally received my Direct Express ATM MasterCard this last week, it seems it never made it to the Diplomatic Pouch in Washington D.C., twice. So I had it sent directly via US Mail to the Embassy in Ukraine.

The Address the card is sent to is now YOUR official address for Direct Express, so, write it down including the ZIP code. Turn around time for card issue to delivery was 3 weeks. But remember setting up the account took a couple months for everything to be settled between Social Security and Direct Express.

Card arrived at the Embassy, they called me and I went over to pick it up.  American Services, whom have been extremely helpful throughout the process, offered me free telephone use in room #1 to call the USA to activate my card. I called Direct Express, set up my PIN number and went back through the menu to speak to a live person. My questions were:

1) Could you unblock the card for international use?
2) Could you make sure the card is good to be used on the internet?

No need to unblock as my official address was in Ukraine. Internet was unblocked automatically.

Activated card and went home. Ordered a e-book off of Amazon USA and a game extension for EVE from Iceland. Both worked instantly, so Internet shopping OK!

Went to PrivatBank ATM withdrew 8000k UAH, menu in English, (total fee was 175UAH for that transaction or $7.04) UAH was sold at the day's rate. The ONLY limit I had was $4000 a day per PrivatBank's rules, other banks may limit you to LESS per day. So, one thing: No, I could not go inside PrivatBank and have them issue $ off the card directly to me. They said ATM only and UAH ONLY from the ATM of course, and informed me of the $4000 daily limit (converted to UAH) ---- I didn't need 110,000UAH in my pocket....so I went and bought a pizza and went home.

Opened up the Direct Express site on the Internet. Signed up and signed in. My use was recorded from the previous transactions, list of transactions and current balance displayed.  Social Security is issued on the first of the month and is available for withdrawal/use on the third of the same month. So no need for paper records.

Works great!!!  I have heard there are problems with other Direct Express card users here. No Internet use, card blocked at ATM, needing to send copies of Passport and Birth Certificate, which is what you have to do if your account is BLOCKED in the first place! ....I think it might be due to the U.S. address vs the International address that I have. The lady in Texas was somewhat impressed I was at the US Embassy, I guess she thought I was some sort of diplomat or something*. I have NO ISSUES with my card, which BTW expires in 2027.

So, maybe IF you do this, use the Kyiv Embassy Address.

* Salo Diplomatic Corps...DUH!!!!

« Last Edit: 05:34 13-Jul-2016 by Fraucha »