Author Topic: Surface shipment of household goods to US  (Read 174 times)

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 810
Surface shipment of household goods to US
« on: 17:57 25-Sep-2019 »
My lovely Ukrainian wife and I have decided to pull the plug on our residential Ukrainian life (Lviv) and move to the US. My wife has just earned her master's degree and my stepdaughter her bachelor's degree. They have both just also have received their green cards. The time is ripe!

The household goods to be moved are an indoor stationary cycle trainer, a bicycle, and all of our clothes. I would ship the trainer and the bike, unless it would be prohibitively expensive, and all of the excess clothing that could not fit in our airline transported luggage. Shipment speed is not a factor; the slowest but cheapest means would be fine. Does anyone have experience with surface shipment between the US and Ukraine? Is it feasible/possible?

"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2458
  • -Receive: 1864
Re: Surface shipment of household goods to US
« Reply #1 on: 18:24 25-Sep-2019 »
Only based on my moving to Ukraine, not the return trip.  I'd get rid of the trainer and bike here and get others stateside. I came with the barest of essentials and my library. The cost of extra bags on the plane should be looked at VS the cost of replacement clothes. Styles for the ladies will be different stateside.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline shuggah21

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 120
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #2 on: 05:02 26-Sep-2019 »
MEEST ships from Ukraine to US. I used them when I moved to Ukraine. If you select shipping by sea, as opposed to air, you can save money. It takes about six weeks.

http://meest.us/m/en/poslugi/dostavka_posilok_z_ukraini_do_ssha/dostavka_posilok_ta_vantajiv_z_ukraini_do_ssha.html

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4026
  • -Receive: 1732
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #3 on: 11:57 26-Sep-2019 »
My lovely Ukrainian wife and I have decided to pull the plug on our residential Ukrainian life (Lviv) and move to the US. My wife has just earned her master's degree and my stepdaughter her bachelor's degree. They have both just also have received their green cards. The time is ripe!

The household goods to be moved are an indoor stationary cycle trainer, a bicycle, and all of our clothes. I would ship the trainer and the bike, unless it would be prohibitively expensive, and all of the excess clothing that could not fit in our airline transported luggage. Shipment speed is not a factor; the slowest but cheapest means would be fine. Does anyone have experience with surface shipment between the US and Ukraine? Is it feasible/possible?

No advise on shipping, but agree with Mike.

Congratulations to your two lovely ladies!  They have the right fella to help them assimilate.
Best wishes for a safe and successful journey.
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 15:23 26-Sep-2019 »
Thanks, Tim, and Mike, and all other forum members with whom I have communicated pleasantly, mostly, over the last 6 eventful years in Ukraine. It's off to a new adventure, especially for my ladies. I will miss life in Lviv, but, I think I miss more, now, riding my gravel bike on and off the much safer roads of the US, American football season, celebrating US holidays with family and compatriots, and I know I will delight in watching my Ukrainian girls, soon to be Americans (three years), discovering all that is good about our country...rather than the negative propagandistic anti-American crap spewed out by our own PC, "woke" media.
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 19:28 26-Sep-2019 »
I wish we would have had a chance to meet but life is what it is.

I wish you and your's the best in this new chapter of your lives.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online Tnic

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #6 on: 12:44 27-Sep-2019 »
Looking forward to much the same CC.  I think we're finally entering the home stretch and hope to have her interview in Nov.
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Offline shuggah21

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 120
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #7 on: 14:46 27-Sep-2019 »
We are starting our application in January, target date mid-2021.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3110
  • -Receive: 4834
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #8 on: 15:15 27-Sep-2019 »
So.... you are all gonna leave me here with these Ukrainians?? O M G !!  :D
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online Tnic

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #9 on: 13:02 28-Sep-2019 »

You'll never abandon the Salo Capitol of the known universe.  :D

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 17:02 28-Sep-2019 »
I wish we would have had a chance to meet but life is what it is.

I wish you and your's the best in this new chapter of your lives.
Thank you, Mike. We will probably be returning once annually to visit family and friends

Ronald Reagan

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 17:07 28-Sep-2019 »
Looking forward to much the same CC.  I think we're finally entering the home stretch and hope to have her interview in Nov.
Hey Tim, we might settle down not too far from you, if you're still planning on a Maine homestead. We're aiming for my sister's town, also my high school town, Plattsburgh, New York, 60 miles south of Montreal. Good luck on your wife's interview (it's a breeze).

Ronald Reagan

Online Tnic

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #12 on: 11:40 29-Sep-2019 »
Hey Tim, we might settle down not too far from you, if you're still planning on a Maine homestead. We're aiming for my sister's town, also my high school town, Plattsburgh, New York, 60 miles south of Montreal. Good luck on your wife's interview (it's a breeze).

I'm in Maine now, finishing up the electrical service.  Hope to have the vaulted ceiling (high open ceiling and floor plan) insulated and the heat tubing laid on the floors before I return to UA end of Oct.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 12:09 29-Sep-2019 »

I'll stick around just to harass you.