Author Topic: What should non-Russian speakers do if/once they get COVID-19?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Sandora

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
I'm concerned that if it gets to the point that it's no longer quarantine, and it's just an ocean of hospital beds lined up, there will simply be little to no patience for dealing with people who can't speak Russian/Ukrainian well, as it would not be efficient to play the Google Translate etc. game. This is under the assumption that expat hospitals are already full (and/or such hospitals won't fit within the protocol of where to send infected ppl) and you're now instead stuck in some huge, chaotic facility, at best.

I tried to call an ambulance (Medikom, I believe) about 9 months ago, and the communication was such a nightmare that I ended up taking Uber or whatever, then using Google Translate once there. But in this case, of course I would want to take an ambulance (which might be overbooked/impossible anyway?), so as not to infect the driver.

So, basically, I'd like to know what to do/where to go if one suspects they are infected.

I know like 500 words tops (and grammar is practically nonexistent, so no cases/genders/etc.), am in Kyiv, and have a genetic condition that affects lungs (currently early stage asthma, I guess, but for now I'm self-medicating just by using inhalers you'd get prescribed anyway).

Hopefully others can benefit from the responses here as well, in terms of having a plan in place. Thanks
« Last Edit: 22:07 28-Feb-2020 by Sandora »

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
You are suffering from media hype.

My lungs are worse than yours and I am not worried.

You don't need to speak Ukrainian or russian if you are worried, just have a friend translate for you at a doctor they trust to put a plan in place should you panic. In the meantime read this and do some more Google https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu
« Last Edit: 03:33 29-Feb-2020 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 134
If or rather when Ukraine will get hit by large numbers of covid-19, you should not look to local hospitals, but rather go to a country where the health system is in a better shape than here

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2473
  • -Receive: 1869
The fatality rate at this point is far below the seasonal flu.
 This appears to be yet another mass media hyped up story because there isn't much for news.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Sandora

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Well, we def don't know how accurate the metrics coming from Iran and CN are

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
You can just as easily die waiting for an Ambulance to get you to the hospital, if you speak Ukrainian or Russian, so don't worry.

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
The fatality rate at this point is far below the seasonal flu.
 This appears to be yet another mass media hyped up story because there isn't much for news.

This is entirely untrue.  Flue has a mortality rate of about 0.1%, covid-19 appears to be at least 1% which is at least 10 times higher.   >:(

Currently global death rate is 3.4% (87,474 cases, 2,990 deaths; https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6).

Current death rate in Italy is 2.0%
(1,700 cases, 34 deaths; https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/01/coronavirus-latest-updates-coronavirus-live-updates-latest-news-china-wuhan-stock-markets-update-china-iran-us-australia-south-korea-japan)

And death rate in Iran is close to 10%.

All no problem?  Really?
« Last Edit: 19:45 01-Mar-2020 by K24 »

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Chances of contracting flu or swine flu, or some seasonal influenza are much greater than the chances of getting the new Coronavirus.  Consequently, if you have some variant of flu, then it might not be wise to make a beeline for some hospital treating numerous Coronavirus patients, when there is such a place and they have such patients.   You are more likely to catch the disease at the hospital than anywhere else in Ukraine. 
It is really hard to judge the mortality rate as many if not most who contract it, don't report it or seek medical treatment and only a few flu patients who report having been in China are probably tested with the very few test kits available. 
There is a lot of bias in the media, though, because if you consider all forms of influenza, in the U.S., about 64,000 die of influenza each flu season.  One person has died of Coronavirus this year, but that justifies a panic and regular flu does not.
Yes, in some form, the Coronavirus will eventually spread everywhere, but: 
   Any kind of Virus, particularly the sort we are discussing, mutates rapidly, and what eventually will spread successfully in Ukraine or the U.S. will not be the same as what is going on in Wuhan. 
A rule of thumb is that viruses can either evolve to be more deadly or they can evolve to be more contagious, but not both.  That's because natural selection favors viruses that do not kill their victims.  Dead people are not the ideal Typhoid Mary(s) for a virus.  So, the virus that killed people in Wuhan is more likely to be contained, and similar versions that are more likely to spread and less likely to kill are more likely to make it to Ukraine or to America.  The chances of a weak form dominating, increase with time.  So, while we will all get Coronavirus, by the time it gets to us, it is probably going to be weaker.  In 1.5 years vaccines will be widely available.  Some laboratories have already made test batches of vaccine and will begin testing shortly.  Many countries will be testing vaccines within a few weeks.  The U.S. has already created a vaccine and it might be rushed to approval in just a year and a half or so.  Other countries with less burdensome regulation, like Israel, might have a vaccine on the market, in small batches, in less than six months.  Once an even moderately effective vaccine is available to even just the elderly, the crisis is over in the country that distributes it.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
K24, if your numbers are correct it's still a very, very small percentage of fatalities.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Quite frankly I personally would not want to die of the coronavirus either as a part of a small or a big group of people dying with me.

But if you really want to do this statistically, then the outcome does not cheer one up much more either.   The reason so many people die of flu is not because flu is so deadly but because so many people get infected. 

And the reproduction number (R0) of SARS-CoV-2 is actually higher than that of flu.  Currently, the R0 for SARS-CoV-2 is estimated at about 2.2, meaning a single infected person will infect about 2.2 others, on average. By comparison, the flu has an R0 of 1.3. (https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html).

If the world does not succeed to prevent the virus from spreading uncontrollably (with we are getting increasingly close to though we are fortunately not there yet), then it can well be that about 30-50% of the population gets infected as no one has immunity yet.  So you can just run some simple numbers.  Population of Italy - about 60 million.  Number infected at 30% infection rate - 18 million.  Number of fatalities with mortality rate of 1% -...  Well, I think you can see that this easily can get to rather big numbers.

« Last Edit: 20:36 01-Mar-2020 by K24 »

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
You are more likely to catch the disease at the hospital than anywhere else in Ukraine.

Very very true.  And another reason to get out of Ukraine if you can, if covid 19 should significantly spread here
« Last Edit: 20:37 01-Mar-2020 by K24 »

Offline UKUA

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 155
  • -Receive: 187
The disease (known as COVID-19) seems to have a fatality rate of less than 2 percent?exponentially lower than most outbreaks that make global news. The virus has raised alarm not despite that low fatality rate, but because of it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
The disease (known as COVID-19) seems to have a fatality rate of less than 2 percent?exponentially lower than most outbreaks that make global news. The virus has raised alarm not despite that low fatality rate, but because of it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000

A failed attempt to manufacture the Zombie Apocalypse by the Chinese. Gotta give them props for giving it another go at it though.
Failure is only a pothole on the road to success!
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You