Author Topic: Covid medical insurance  (Read 65 times)

Online Sailor291

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 26
Covid medical insurance
« on: 16:17 15-Jun-2020 »
With these new rules for foreigners entering Ukraine at Borispil, specifically U.S. citizens, it requires proof of medical insurance that will cover Covid treatment in Ukraine.  Well, what kind of proof do they need, anybody know?  I can show my insurance card but what would that tell them?

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: Covid medical insurance
« Reply #1 on: 21:12 15-Jun-2020 »
Probably ordinary medical insurance that you buy with your plane ticket.  Maybe there is some new initiative, but I have never been asked to show proof of insurance in dozens of visits as a tourist, all before the pandemic.  As an expat with foreign insurance, depending upon policy and country, you might be covered, in which case you might just ask your provider for proof of that.  You technically have to have proof of insurance, just generally, not only for Covid-19.  So, mentioning this is redundant, but might suggest that some "Third World" countries have weird insurance that excludes it.  Many countries let you buy acceptable insurance right there, at the airport, but it might not be the best deal if available.  In the U.S. , corporations with workers abroad, often buy insurance that pays for visits to American style clinics in Ukraine.  Usually that option is the most expensive and American style clinics don't always offer better care than Kyiv's best hospitals.
Along with your insurance card, you might wish to bring some documentation from the insurance website, that you are covered for travel abroad and some indication of what is covered.  Many policies may not yet have documents online that specify Covid, but they all might say they cover all infectious diseases or all excepting ebola.