Author Topic: What should non-Russian speakers do if/once they get COVID-19?  (Read 1911 times)

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
I give up, I can't seem to find the right words to convey my thoughts.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
It's hard to compare, because the number of fatalities for COVID-19 will depend upon the response of Government.  The more draconian the measures taken, to the point of a police state, the fewer people will be killed.  60,000 people died in the 2019 flu season in the U.S.  But, with no lockdown, mortality from COVID-19 could reach 2 million deaths in the U.S.  A lot of this depends on quality of care.  What government can do is slow down the pandemic and spread out the people who will go to the hospital, over several more months, preventing facilities from being as overwhelmed, allowing more time to obtain medical supplies, learn more about what treatment is going to be effective and practical.  The minimum number of deaths theoretically possible might be 20,000 given every possible measure is taken. 
What we are starting to see in America, and in Italy, is that hospitals are overwhelmed, and in America that might happen in other states, depending upon government action, including quarantine and "Social distancing" and other measures.  In my state, Washington State, one of the worst affected, lockdown, closures of nonessential businesses, will happen next week as "Social distancing," asking people to stay at home is also being, um, requested. 
In NYC hospitals are already almost overwhelmed. 
And this is still near the beginning with the peak in those two states, not expected until sometime in May.  These two states have robust public health systems and so, what will happen in poor states with big populations?
In summary, a lot of the difference, besides the higher mortality rate, will be a surge of cases inundating the hospitals.

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 33
I give up, I can't seem to find the right words to convey my thoughts.

Than maybe, if you can't find own words, just use a quote from this site you linked? Cause I seriously read it all by now and can't find anything that would confirm that flu is worse than coronavitus, or anything that contradicts the data that I know and quoted in my earlier post. And I keep looking and looking. It's driving me crazy! Craaaaaazy ;)

Offline UKUA

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 155
  • -Receive: 187

It's driving me crazy! Craaaaaazy ;)

Being crazy is good!  :( 8)

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You

Being crazy is the best *runs around, waving arms*  ;)

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You

Being crazy is the best *runs around, waving arms*  ;)

oh i don't know, just look at the numbers.
and look here:  https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu?fbclid=IwAR1fxSukA5geUR81ZK05B5vLM_m0Ri53TBauu9ZbcH5omlid80NdkWmSWPU

and this, note the words I highlight in red and draw your own conclusions:

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 11,906 deaths reported worldwide; 260 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 21, 2020.*

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.

ESTIMATION and THOUGHT are just that, UNTIL the facts are in.
NOT in yet...... we will see IN THE END this summer.

What is the Chicken Little syndrome?
Chicken Little Syndrome. ... This is called Chicken Little Syndrome (The sky is falling!), and humans are, unfortunately, very adept at employing it. When an unfortunate but isolated mishap occurs, it's easy to let your imagination run wild with all the possible causes and eventual consequences that will lead to Doom.

« Last Edit: 14:12 22-Mar-2020 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You

oh i don't know, just look at the numbers.

Numbers? You mean the pure number of cases of flu compared to confirmed covid cases? That means almost nothing, for several reasons:
1. Our testing for covid is very imperfect and we still have false negatives / false positives
2. Number of available test is severely limited. For example, Poland only got 30 000 tests, Ukraine 12 000 (yeah, I heard they were going to try to get another 100 thousand, but who knows if they will)
3. Because of that limited availability of tests, many countries are testing in an extremely limited capacity. Some of them are announcing that publicly. Like Sweden, that clearly said that they are only testing those hospitalized and those from the highest risk groups that show symptoms. And some of them are keeping limited testing more or less a secret from general public, or rather just not advertising it. Like Poland, where doctors have a very restricted access to test and are testing about 10% of people who come in with symptoms. 
4. Quarantine procedures make it all even wonkier. Many people that show symptoms just stay home, will never go to the doctor and never be tested (even assuming that they live in a country that is overflowing with tests and can test anybody that shows symptoms, if such a country exists).
5. Quarantine procedures also limit the spread of covid (how much they do that is anybody's guess at this point). And we never put such in place for the flu.

With all that under consideration, it will be a wonder if we are actually discovering 5% of actual existing cases. The most optimistic doctor I talked to claimed that we are identifying 10% of existing cases.
« Last Edit: 14:20 22-Mar-2020 by fabula_rasa »

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.

Of course all we have of covid now is estimations. We can't really have anything else. But all of those estimations show that the mortality rate of covid is bigger than any flu. As is the ro. So none of those show that "flu is worse than covid".
And obviously flu killed a total higher number of people: it has been around in a population longer, it normalised in it, and we do not quarantine "the whole planet" to stop its spread like we are doing now with covid  ;)

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You

Chicken Little Syndrome. ... This is called Chicken Little Syndrome (The sky is falling!), and humans are, unfortunately, very adept at employing it. When an unfortunate but isolated mishap occurs, it's easy to let your imagination run wild with all the possible causes and eventual consequences that will lead to Doom.

\

I seriously dislike this movie. Everybody in it is just such a jerk  ;)
Also, I am in no way saying that a sky is falling. Or even panicking. All I'm saying is that I don't see any data supporting the "flue is wore than covid" claim.

Offline UKUA

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 155
  • -Receive: 187

The Southern Hemisphere is "enjoying" summer at this time but sharing the effects of this pandemic. The chief is most likely wrong!

Will hot weather end Coronavirus? Trump has suggested it might

Note the CYA "might", leaving the door open to give Alex Azar the push if things get too bad. Time will tell but for now, caution is advised  as suggested by experts.

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You

The Southern Hemisphere is "enjoying" summer at this time but sharing the effects of this pandemic. The chief is most likely wrong!

Will hot weather end Coronavirus? Trump has suggested it might

Note the CYA "might", leaving the door open to give Alex Azar the push if things get too bad. Time will tell but for now, caution is advised  as suggested by experts.

Yeah, Philippines, for example, has a steadily growing number of cases and it's like 30 degrees there atm.

Offline youngken

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 28
It is so easy to make terror attack by using this virus! >:(

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Unfortunately, the decisions about how to react to COVID-19 are partly political decisions made without considering the collateral damage.  For example, in 2018, in America, 48,300 people committed Suicide.  By locking down America, people who lose their jobs, families plunged into poverty, will for sure increase the suicide rate in some dramatic way, and for years, not just in 2020 for the duration of the lockdowns. Who is taking these lives into account? 

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 134
Modelling studies come to the conclusion that the direct death toll from the virus in the U.S. could reach two million.  So a few additional suicides obviously are simply insignificant

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You

\

I seriously dislike this movie. Everybody in it is just such a jerk  ;)
Also, I am in no way saying that a sky is falling. Or even panicking. All I'm saying is that I don't see any data supporting the "flue is wore than covid" claim.

Movie? lol you are to young to remember the tale, I ain't talking a movie. Never bothered to see it  either. The original tale was Henny Penny, Chicken Little is the story I remember this under from abut 60 years ago.