Author Topic: Defunding the Police  (Read 91 times)

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3110
  • -Receive: 4831
  • What's the future ever done for me?
Defunding the Police
« on: 09:35 08-Jun-2020 »
'Defund the police' activists aren't living in reality
by Kaylee McGhee https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/defund-the-police-activists-arent-living-in-reality
June 07, 2020 03:39 PM

The idea that we should strip police departments of all funding and come up with a better way to maintain law and order is picking up steam in the wake of George Floyd's death. But, like so many of the far-left's policies, "Defund the police" is not realistic.

Why not, you might ask? After all, we the taxpayers pay law enforcement to protect our communities, and if it cannot do that, why should we continue to pay for services we're not receiving? And, if past reforms haven't worked, what more can we do besides getting rid of the problem entirely?

These questions are important, but the answers are not as simple as activists would like to think. The fact is that defunding the police, which activists hope will ultimately lead to the total abolition of police, will create more problems than it will fix. And to understand why that is, we need to ask why law enforcement exists in the first place.

Police departments are supposed to protect and serve their communities, and they do so in a variety of ways. They field emergency calls, respond to urgent situations, and imprison those who violate the laws. But on a more fundamental level, our law enforcement agencies exist to protect our lives and liberties from, well, each other.

And herein lies the fundamental disagreement. The far-left tends to view humanity through a liberal, rose-colored lens. They believe that we as human beings are constantly bettering ourselves, and that all we need is a push in the right direction. So, it makes sense, then, that the Left wants to push law enforcement away from its traditional focus on surveillance, prevention, and punishment and toward programs that foster healthy communities, such as health insurance, education, and so on.

What these activists don't account for, however, is human nature. We are fallen, sinful creatures, and we need laws to hold our passions in check. If men were angels, we would not need laws or governing officers to enforce them, wrote James Madison.

And make no mistake, the problem is not a lack of opportunity. If what the "Defund the police" crowd is proposing worked, crime should have disappeared after President Lyndon B. Johnson implemented the Great Society. But here we are, 60 years and trillions of dollars spent on Medicaid, welfare, public housing, public schools later, and cities run by liberals are struggling to contain the looters and rioters who have recently taken to the streets.

We can pump money into all sorts of programs, but human nature will not change. And if you eliminate the hand that keeps human nature in check, otherwise known as law enforcement, we will collapse into anarchy, and every single one of humanity?s worst instincts will run rampant.

This isn't to say the system is above reform? quite the opposite. Cops are human beings too, which means they also need to be kept in check. The past few weeks have made it quite clear that we need more accountability and transparency within law enforcement. And many police departments across the country have proved that there is a deep-rooted institutional and cultural failure that needs to be addressed. But the way to address these failures is through more training and more accountability, which means more funding and more oversight. (Abolishing qualified immunity and overhauling police unions would also be a step in the right direction.)

And most importantly, we need fewer laws in general. Law enforcement's primary responsibility is the protection of life, liberty, and property, but arbitrary laws have turned its attention elsewhere. The "War on Drugs" is a perfect example of this. Let's train our cops how to do their jobs well, but let's also make sure their jobs have purpose.

So, no, defunding law enforcement is not feasible. We need better, more responsible policing. But we also need policing in general. And that's not going to change.

Fraucha: Defunding. I seldom agree with this newspaper/rag. But she has the right of it. For example: Looting and riots. When the police lose control as they have in many US cities what to the people do? LOOT. Usually it is poor black people who are the ones doing this, but there are people of all races except maybe the Asians, whom are much more under self control that the rest of us. Is it racist to say the blacks do the looting? No, it is fact and the cameras and news footage doesn't lie. Is it racist to say I don't see Asians in the USA looting? No, just a fact.

So, the police kill a few black people -- and it is caught on tape/digital phone and of course people are pissed. Hell, I am pissed...but why would I go out and STEAL from honest shopkeepers who have nothing to do with the police shootings? I hear a lot of people scream about "white privilege", but does that mean there is a privilege for the poor non-whites that gives them free reign to loot goods and destroy property at a whim? It wasn't ok in L.A. with Rodney King and it is NOT EVER OK to loot and destroy. Protest...yes, Riot...yes, Strike...Yes, but loot and destroy innocent businesses who's only business is to run and store at a profit is a huge NO.

Defund the police and chaos will reign, the military will be called in and we will have soldiers shooting down people just like at Kent State in May 1970 (4 dead 9 wounded).

In conclusion; Yes Black Lives Matter - ALSO. As do all lives (even those rat-fu-ck-tard russians), but the message the ignorant  send is ONLY black lives matter and to me that is racist as much as the double standard of saying nigger.

Once again, I am glad I am not in the USA and glad I am not going back. There is nothing left there except shopping and good COSTCO Sinai 44 hot dogs.

« Last Edit: 09:41 08-Jun-2020 by Fraucha »

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Re: Defunding the Police
« Reply #1 on: 04:53 09-Jun-2020 »
Although defunding the police seems radical....we have been defunding education for decades.

Look how that turned out, a f u ckin g disaster.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 935
  • -Receive: 741
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #2 on: 16:33 10-Jun-2020 »
"The idea that we should strip police departments of all funding" <<< stop right there. That's NOT what "defund" means, and you should be smart enough to know that. Aren't you smart??

It means, instead of the Police being called to deal with relationship conflicts, the mentally ill, trouble making kids in schools, the homeless, etc., that money from their over bloated budgets will go to institutions whose toolkit does not consist primarily of guns and batons and pepper spray and tazers. Those are not the tools for those issues.

Unless you're cool with the police state and the prison industrial complex, you wouldn't be sharing dumb poop like that. I bet you think "global warming" only means its going to get warm, and not the reality of "extreme weather fluctuations".

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1000
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #3 on: 18:32 10-Jun-2020 »
Defunding means different things, depending upon the community and local politics.  Yes, it can mean completely closing down a police department or similar institution, but even then, it can be with the intention of rebooting with a hopefully better one. 
The police department is traditionally the first responder for the mentally ill, substance abusers and other social problems, because some of those people, unfortunately are extremely violent.  Sending a social worker into a knife fight is not necessarily a better idea.
Defunding can be legal, but rebooting police departments with Union contracts can potentially be violating U.S. labor law.  If Ford Motor made some announcement that it did not like the behavior of union members and so it would replace them with new people, without the usual negotiations that legally have to be in good faith, then what might happen at the NLRB?

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 20:18 10-Jun-2020 »
"The idea that we should strip police departments of all funding" <<< stop right there. That's NOT what "defund" means, and you should be smart enough to know that. Aren't you smart??

It means, instead of the Police being called to deal with relationship conflicts, the mentally ill, trouble making kids in schools, the homeless, etc., that money from their over bloated budgets will go to institutions whose toolkit does not consist primarily of guns and batons and pepper spray and tazers. Those are not the tools for those issues.

Unless you're cool with the police state and the prison industrial complex, you wouldn't be sharing dumb poop like that. I bet you think "global warming" only means its going to get warm, and not the reality of "extreme weather fluctuations".

Try not to be a dick. You are smart aren't you?

Many of these activists are demanding the police departments be dismantled. It wasn't long ago that the police were out gunned on the streets, do you remember that?? Taking the money from the police is not the solution, but weeding out the unstable individuals from police departments and replacing them with better people would be better answer. If you don't want the police to be called to deal with relationship conflicts, the mentally ill, trouble making kids in schools, the homeless, etc. ...then send someone else. In the meantime their unions will fight this out if it looks to be happening in some cities AGAIN.

Global warming is not the issue.

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4024
  • -Receive: 1729
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #5 on: 06:59 11-Jun-2020 »
Global warming is not the issue.

Wish it was.  I HATE ice fishin.
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 10:10 26-Jun-2020 »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY3zbL7trhE

She says it much better than I can. and I 100% agree with her.