Author Topic: Long time lurker, first time poster  (Read 437 times)

Offline JoeAnna

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • 29 Years here. Yes, I'm сertifiable.
    • The Millions
Re: Long time lurker, first time poster
« Reply #15 on: 15:48 11-Mar-2021 »
Now I'm curious!
When and where were you in Alaska? I was there from 67 thru 17. Yeah an even 50 years until I pulled the plug and moved here. I lived in Anchorage most of the time with portions in Juneau, Kenai, Fbks. and Valdez.

I'm a transplant. Originally from western Washington, but I lived in Anchorage from '79 through '85. I spent most of my time on the Kenai Keys, where my brother has his place. It's, I don't know, maybe about a 30-minute drive south from Jim's Landing near the confluence with the Russian River, near Funny River, maybe about the same distance north of Soldotna.

Fished a lot. Worked on tenders and in a frozen plant.

My two older brothers are still there, one in Anchorage, the other in Juneau, the former since '63 and the latter since '64, IIRC.

I'm partial to Southeast--an island near Sitka would suit me just fine--but I do love the Kenai in those parts where the tourists (and the Texans*) are few.

*No Texans, living or dead, are implicated in this statement, though several are likely hollerin' mad.

Valdez? In search of black gold? What's odd is I keep seeing these ratings where Alaska lands in the "Bottom 10" - one of the worst states in the Union. I mean, I understand what the millennials are thinking, but then again, they clearly don't know what the place has to offer.

If you're at liberty to say: what was the deciding factor in your leaving?
Пар горячий развяжет язык...

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4066
  • -Receive: 1762
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #16 on: 12:52 12-Mar-2021 »

No kidding (never let a crisis go to waste): see the new Covid Relief Bill. Hey, I'll never object to getting money back but congressional fervor to throw money at problems is getting scary.

I am comforted by the fact that you - as a Mainer - have friends. God works in mysterious ways. I, too, once had friends, one of whom was from Maine. He told me about people who had lived in Maine for 25+ years, had kids there, raised them and would say "well, we're not from Maine but our kids are." And the (according to my friend) usual piece of Maine wisdom in response was: "just because kittens are born in an oven doesn't make 'em biscuits."

Concerns aside about why Maine kittens are hiding out in ovens, I appreciate the encouragement. What you report about the febrile news coverage of "America in Flames!!!" rings true with what life-long pals, relatives, etc. have told me. Isolated. Short-lived. Drivers of lots of news coverage with dramatic shots of a truck on fire or a girl stealing a cake, etc.

America is, by and large, good people. Naive, a little unappreciative of intellectual rigor at times, and inexplicably committed to American football and processed food, but otherwise good people.

I'm glad to hear you've got your interview date. We're just getting going. We've yet to hear the result of the Processing Center review, but I'm fairly confident in that outcome. We're set up to interview here in Kyiv, but if it drags out, we might just go the "tourist visa" route, move, and reschedule for a Center in the US. We'll see. Any advice you've got about this ordeal, I'm all ears.

This is year 5 in our journey (I think, seems like forever ago) to Freedom so a lot of what we did to begin has/may have, changed.  Mostly pay attention to the various fields on your I-130 and I-864.  As with UA bureaucrats, they only tell you ONE thing to fix in a rejection even when there are more.  It cost us several months to a year in delays along with other mistakes along the trail. 

If you haven't yet, join visajourney.com.  A lot of folks there can help keep you on the rails.
The only way to stop evil men is good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2488
  • -Receive: 1892
« Reply #17 on: 16:06 13-Mar-2021 »
 Retirement and Grandkids here in Ukraine were the deciding factors for leaving. In a month or so I'll be headed back bouto finish selling off everything left there. With any luck I'll be back here sometime towards the end of June or the first part of July.
 The Valdez years were building the terminal and other sections of the pipeline. Afterwards I kept going with construction, later starting my own small business. My brother kept at it until he retired last fall. Most of the roads in Alaska and the Penn. have some of my time in them.  I've still got a 'dacha' in the Caribou Hills for winter time fun if I ever wander back there in winter. Friends have sort of taken it over during my absence.
 Now I'm settled down in Cherkasy, about 2 1/2 hrs. south of Kyiv.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline JoeAnna

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
    • The Millions
« Reply #18 on: 19:42 16-Mar-2021 »
I'm terrible at navigating posts on here. Keep getting all turned around. I've just seen the visajourney.com recommendation and to whomever it was that sent that my way, a big thanks. Great resource. A little discouraging in places, but a little realism never killed anybody. Well, it probably has, but who's counting?

Divesting of your Alaska holdings, that's a big step. Can't imagine what that feels like. 50+ years. Hat's off to you. Cherkasy's good, low-key. We're headed down to an old Soviet summer camp on the Dniepr not far from there this June. Gorgeous place, also low-key. The facilities would kill most westerners, likely, but who goes to the woods for the facilities?  Little village called Prokhorivka. Check it out, it's a 30-ish minute drive from Kaniv, a little farther from Cherkasy, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: 09:05 17-Mar-2021 by JoeAnna »

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4066
  • -Receive: 1762
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #19 on: 12:41 17-Mar-2021 »
I'm terrible at navigating posts on here. Keep getting all turned around. I've just seen the visajourney.com recommendation and to whomever it was that sent that my way, a big thanks. Great resource. A little discouraging in places, but a little realism never killed anybody. Well, it probably has, but who's counting?

Yelcome!

If you find posts from Tim & Irina that's us.  Look for an avatar with some old fart and a hot redhead in front of the fountain at Independence Square, btw.

If anyone has experience with your questions, you'll get an answer.  Look for the Russia, Ukraine, Belurus (RUB) Regional board LINK THINGY BELOW for more specific info.  At the top of the page you'll find a "Guides" tab.  There should be a fairly accurate list of required docs to submit and a flowchart of sorts (all in plain speak) to help out as well.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/98-russia-ukraine-and-belarus/
« Last Edit: 12:44 17-Mar-2021 by Tnic »
The only way to stop evil men is good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline JoeAnna

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
    • The Millions
« Reply #20 on: 19:31 17-Mar-2021 »

Yelcome!

If you find posts from Tim & Irina that's us.  Look for an avatar with some old fart and a hot redhead in front of the fountain at Independence Square, btw.

If anyone has experience with your questions, you'll get an answer.  Look for the Russia, Ukraine, Belurus (RUB) Regional board LINK THINGY BELOW for more specific info.  At the top of the page you'll find a "Guides" tab.  There should be a fairly accurate list of required docs to submit and a flowchart of sorts (all in plain speak) to help out as well.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/98-russia-ukraine-and-belarus/

Very grateful for this. I like to plan things out, do potential problem analysis, draw up "Plan B" "C" and "D". Folks with lived experience is valuable beyond measure, in my opinion. I will check it out immediately. Thanks again.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2488
  • -Receive: 1892
« Reply #21 on: 20:11 17-Mar-2021 »
  I just looked at the map and I went thru that village last summer. I didn't see any camp but there are lot'sa smaller roads wandering off. I've been to a few that are probably similar in some of the biker bashes. The worst thing IMO is the squat toilets. My knees were replaced here but one only bends to a 90 degree. So I wander off in the woods instead. :D It's not like it's the first time for me.

A buddy has a fishing camp across the river and just down stream from where the Ros River comes into the Dnieper. I've taken my boat up there several times. Very close to your camp area.

I should be back towards the end of June or first part of July if all goes according to plan. Keep in touch and I might wander up there for a day trip. Kaniv seems to be a nice quiet town. I like to spend time out on the dam just watching the water. My grandson like to crawl up on the statue. :)

The boyhood home of Taras Schevchenko isn't too far from Kaniv and it's worth a side trip to see that little museum if you have time.
« Last Edit: 20:27 17-Mar-2021 by AkMike »
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff