Author Topic: Family doctor?  (Read 79 times)

Online fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 42
Family doctor?
« on: 14:31 28-Mar-2021 »
Hi guys :)
Anybody knows if, as a permanent resident but not a citizen, I have to get myself registered at some family doctor? In other words - do I have to/should get myself an "official" family doctor and if so, how do I do that?

Any input and stories from personsl experience will be appreciated :)

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4066
  • -Receive: 1762
  • Gainfully unemployed
Re: Family doctor?
« Reply #1 on: 09:42 29-Mar-2021 »
Never heard of such a thing, but then they don't let me I don't get out much.

My wife has a regular dentist she drags me to, but no regular Doc.
The only way to stop evil men is good men who are skilled at violence.

Online fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 21:20 29-Mar-2021 »
Okay, that actually helps. I just vaguely remembered hearing something about some new law (some covid-related stuff) saying that everybody should be registered at the family doctor.
Maybe I just imagined it  ;)

My husband has no family doctor either. However, one should not take him as a measure of anything  when it comes to medical aspects - he hears the word "doctor" and runs for the hills screaming  :P

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3130
  • -Receive: 4860
  • In search of procrastination.
« Reply #3 on: 06:10 30-Mar-2021 »
In my Secret Goat Town we have family doctors assigned to neighborhoods. They make house calls and also have an office at one of the local hospitals. When ours visited my father-in-law years ago my wife introduced me and she wrote my name down in her ledger. Anytime I need something I can go see her or call her and she will be available ASAP.

This is also how I got registered to vote with PR. My father in law was unable to travel anywhere so the city sent the local elections commission reps over to make sure he was still alive and brought him ballots when was time to vote. My wife asked if I could be registered to vote, I showed my PR...name entered in their register and I have been voting in all elections for the last 9 years (been here 11)....AT the polling stations, stand in line check in sign your name get your ballots vote and drop in box.

So I have not had problems with the doctors, even if I don't trust all of them, but have NOT paid for anything other than drugs, unless I go to one of the private clinics. No problem voting, no one questions my PR when I show it to sign in.

In both cases it was down to simply asking. ASKING means having your UKRAINIAN wife or husband do the asking(in the government offices) and you let them do all the paperwork. If you try to do it on your own you are screwed or end up paying some lawyer to do it for you.  I never needed a lawyer to any paperwork for marriage or PR...ever. Why pay when you and your spouse can do it?

Anyway.... my 2r.

« Last Edit: 06:13 30-Mar-2021 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline UKUA

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 175
  • -Receive: 207
« Reply #4 on: 21:58 30-Mar-2021 »

We too have family doctors assigned to neighbourhoods of Odesa. They make house calls and also have an office at one of the local hospitals. Our doctor is 79, smokes and drinks cognac (especially if offered). His office is on the 4th floor (5th floor in FSU language) of the city centre hospital and there is no lift/elevator. He has no car but sometimes cycles but mostly it is buses, trams or walkies.

So I have not had problems with the doctors either, even if I don't trust MOST of them, but have NOT paid for anything other than drugs, unless I go to one of the private clinics.

My 2g

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4066
  • -Receive: 1762
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #5 on: 11:59 31-Mar-2021 »
My husband has no family doctor either. However, one should not take him as a measure of anything  when it comes to medical aspects - he hears the word "doctor" and runs for the hills screaming  :P

Yeah, I've seen the public hospitals.  I'd have a hard time housing pigs in the toilets.
The only way to stop evil men is good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2488
  • -Receive: 1892
« Reply #6 on: 14:18 31-Mar-2021 »
Fabula-Rasa didn't imagine it. About a year ago or so it kicked off. Wife signed me up but as yet to know where or who it is.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 16:30 31-Mar-2021 »
There are district governmental clinics in Kyiv as well, of course. The basics of the system are really the same as in Poland - in theory you automatically "belong" to the clinic that corresponds to your official living address. But in practice if you never go there, they will not know that you exists. And if you are like me and intimately know the workings of the underfunded governmental medicine, you will avoid those clinics like a plague (as you can actually get a plague if you go there  ;)). So right now I am a sort of a Shroedinger's cat - I both have and don't have a family doctor (at least until someone opens the box 😉).

So it seems that I will just have to make a trip to my local clinic and register myself there. And register my husband in one go :). It's good to know that there are no troubles with registration for those with permanent stay permission.

I wonder if registering at some private doctor and ignoring the governmental ones all together would also satisfy the legal requirement?