Author Topic: Adaptive Quarantine Questions  (Read 93 times)

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1013
  • -Receive: 1325
  • Statue of the Motherland
Adaptive Quarantine Questions
« on: 04:02 06-Apr-2021 »
I was thinking about visiting Ukraine, my second pandemic visit, but I need to know what the situation is for tourism.  Kyiv is in the Red Zone.  Officially Restaurants are closed, except for the deli in the Supermarkets being partially open.  Can you just walk about looking in restaurant windows and see which ones are illegally operating?  Is it that way for all services.  See if they are secretly working and knock?  It was that way on my last visit.  Kyiv was a bit scary, though, because in the center, there were ambulances everywhere I went.
With regard to Kyiv, the press suggests the quarantine is more strict.

What color quarantine zones are Odessa and Kharkov operating in and what do they mean, if they are yellow or orange colored?

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2488
  • -Receive: 1892
Re: Adaptive Quarantine Questions
« Reply #1 on: 08:41 06-Apr-2021 »
Best case scenerio is to stay away for now.   All the major cities and their oblasts are in red zones most of the rest are in orange. The sole yellow zone is in the south at the Melitopol area.
But home delivery is going strong. There are probably many back doors open even though the rules say otherwise.
You will need a negative test to enter the country with the covid insurance and also a fresh test for re-entry to the states. All current information is available at   "  visitukraine.today   "
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 42
« Reply #2 on: 10:38 06-Apr-2021 »
It seems that Kyiv authorities are making the quarantine more strict by the minute. When the quarantine started again in ernest, they left the public transport running. But they changed their minds a few days ago and now it's special permit only. It's the worst with hospitals, as they are severely overloaded, running out of beds. Our mer even addressed Kyivans some days ago stressing how everyone who can should stay home. I think the authorities are somewhat scared that healthcare system will not be able to cope.

In my district (Святошин), some things are indeed working even though they shouldn't. But most are closed or home-delivery only. Home delivery is indeed going strong. There are a lot of ambulances running around. And a lot of police patrols driving around.

I would also recommend postponing your visit. The general atmosphere is not really cheery.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1013
  • -Receive: 1325
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #3 on: 10:59 06-Apr-2021 »
Kyiv was in quarantine last time I visited, but only orange.  I got the PCR test at the airport, but ignored every other rule.  Negative result within 24 hours and nobody followed up on my failure to use the app (It didn't work on my global, Google Fi carrier.)  You have to have a Ukrainian carrier.  But, I didn't go to the quarantine hotel either.  No 17000UAH fine at immigration on the way out. 
It does seem like the Red quarantine in Kyiv is so much tougher.  Ukrainian friends are just horrified that they can't even work in shops on the sneak.
Just trying to figure out whether I would be facing not having anything to do.  Last time about 20% of businesses operated illegally.
   I will be vaccinated with the second dose of the mRNA Moderna vaccine, so if I go, it will be less scary.
   But, I might end up in Minsk
As for hospitals being overloaded, well, techs were kicking patients out of hospitals and leaving them on a drip in their apartments, when I visited Kyiv last time.

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 107
  • -Receive: 140
« Reply #4 on: 12:42 07-Apr-2021 »
I repeatedly tried to call a few bank branches in Kiev of two different banks today, but nobody picked up the phone.  Are bank branches closed because of the quarantine?  If so, anybody knows when they open again?  Thanks.

Online fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 13:07 07-Apr-2021 »
I repeatedly tried to call a few bank branches in Kiev of two different banks today, but nobody picked up the phone.  Are bank branches closed because of the quarantine?  If so, anybody knows when they open again?  Thanks.

Banks are allowed to work and should be working almost normally. They are closed on weekends and have some mandatory breaks in opening hours (for disinfecting and such). For example, PryvatBank near me has an hour break in the middle of the day. Maybe you were just unlucky with the timing?
Or - that is pure speculation on my part - maybe some bank branches closed because they were unwilling to organize transport for their employees and had employees who could not get to work any other way (and public communication is limited to those with special permissions).

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2488
  • -Receive: 1892
« Reply #6 on: 09:33 08-Apr-2021 »
During that last lockdown the only places allowed (officially) to be open were gas stations, apteka's and grocery stores.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 12:23 08-Apr-2021 »
During that last lockdown the only places allowed (officially) to be open were gas stations, apteka's and grocery stores.

Yeah, but even during the last lockdown some bank branches (official offices and main branches definitely) were allowed to stay open. I saw nothing specific about banks in the quarantine rules this time and those branches that I have close to home seem to be working almost normally. But who really knows, maybe they are indeed doing it illegally.

I took a peek on PryvatBank site just now, and they for one claim to be working normally there (on weekdays, not on the weekends), just with an hour break for airing out and cleaning the premises.

Offline UKUA

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 175
  • -Receive: 207
« Reply #8 on: 22:53 08-Apr-2021 »

WTF, David? You can't be serious! Say you are joking.  ???

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3130
  • -Receive: 4860
  • In search of procrastination.
« Reply #9 on: 05:14 09-Apr-2021 »

I suspect he was on crack when he said that.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4066
  • -Receive: 1762
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #10 on: 10:34 09-Apr-2021 »

OH!  Thought he said Minx at first.
The only way to stop evil men is good men who are skilled at violence.