Offline charles

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 4
Help?
« on: 20:27 24-Feb-2022 »
Can anyone offer a lift from Kyiv to western ukraine to British male, Ukrainian wife and child? I expect not, but worth a try. Nearly 30years in the country and never believed I'd see this day  :'(
« Last Edit: 21:45 24-Feb-2022 by charles »

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 341
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: 15:01 26-Feb-2022 »
Sorry no where near you. Yes, it is very strange times.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #2 on: 17:59 26-Feb-2022 »
This isn't old, but I guess decisions are hour by hour in Kyiv now, and the tank attack was suspended yesterday, due to the possibility of negotiations or, reinforcements needed by Russia, depending upon who is asked:
Trains might continue to run with long waits and free tickets:
https://www.datalounge.com/thread/30346776-women-and-children-first-policy-in-place-in-kyiv-for-trains-leaving-the-city-as-russian-forces-approach#:~:text=I%27ve%20arrived%20from%20the%20east%20to%20Kyiv%27s%20main,are%20still%20operating%2C%20but%20they%20have%20long%20delays

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #3 on: 21:55 26-Feb-2022 »
The fuel supply line was blown up so tanks and APC's are out of fuel. For the ones coming in from the west. They're even trying to get fuel and paying at the pumps out of pocket. Some are just walking back east to home, cold and hungry.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 944
  • -Receive: 755
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #4 on: 07:48 11-Mar-2022 »
No evacuation trains?

Here was our experience from Odesa
https://www.think.cz/english/politics/our-life-as-refugees

Offline speibl

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 50
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #5 on: 11:05 28-Mar-2022 »
Quite a lot of UA-refugees here around Burgas (BG). Not a bad area, especially in case children envolved. Accomodation mostly now in Sunny Beach or other tourist areas, however, because appartments for rent in Burgas city all occupied. Refugees coming via Romania, from South of UA. But also from Charkiw.

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Returning?
« Reply #6 on: 10:25 04-Jul-2022 »
Just asking the dudes here, this forum kinda died, but still a good source of opinions of the wise owls...

We're in EU at the moment, thinking of returning in August (Odesa). Foolishness or not? Getting tired of refugee life, missing our home. Wife with two boys, her parents and sister have been there the whole time. Not sure if anyone has returned or not... thanks in advance

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
Re: Returning?
« Reply #7 on: 09:51 06-Jul-2022 »
We're in EU at the moment, thinking of returning in August (Odesa). Foolishness or not? Getting tired of refugee life, missing our home. Wife with two boys, her parents and sister have been there the whole time. Not sure if anyone has returned or not... thanks in advance
We are in the same situation, staying in France with my parents... But we would like to come back to Kyiv sooner than later.
It's hard to make a decision, not being sure if kids will be safe or not

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 19:04 07-Jul-2022 »
Just IMO,( but I've been here the whole time) The entire country can be hit with rockets at any time from Mordor, The Black Sea or Belarus. Today Odesa area was once again hit with rockets.  Personally I'd avoid  that area. Small towns and villages w/o infrastructure that they'd want to hit, military bases or warehouses or government buildings would be better.  They've hit my town several times since the beginning of this invasion. The last time they managed to hit the bridge across the Dniper. The railroad is down but light vehicle traffic has resumed. The other attacks were very minor with no deaths and light damage. I was in Lviv making a supply run for the local army guys and saw 5 missiles hit there about 1km from my hotel. I got some fairly good photos from the fire escape.
 Until it's over There is no where that I'd consider safe.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 10:38 19-Jul-2022 »
Chatted with Paul Niland and he says there are a few expats he knows that returned to Kyiv, but he says Odesa might be a different story as the Ruzzians are constantly dreaming of "liberating" it. Father in law told me on our recent holiday together (to Greece) that there are greater chances of getting hit by cars on the road, that in 5 years more Ukrainians have died in traffic/pedestrian/tram accidents than the whole of the war so far... not sure the accuracy, but he might have a point. He was at sea until 2 weeks ago, and says he adjusted to the sirens pretty quickly. His hometown of Vinnytsia was hit while we were on holiday. Okean Elzy is coming to our EU town later in August, we might catch that show and head home.

Russia will collapse this year I bet, or at least unfold into a civil war. It won't be getting better for them at all, and all they have left is hitleristic terror attacks...

thanks for the feedbacks!

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
« Reply #10 on: 22:00 20-Jul-2022 »
Russia will collapse this year I bet, or at least unfold into a civil war. It won't be getting better for them at all, and all they have left is hitleristic terror attacks...
The Russians are doing the same mistake as the Nazi did with their V2, targeting civilians instead of military assets... While the Ukrainians use their ammo on military targets

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 19:40 21-Jul-2022 »
I suspect that this war will drag on for quite a while. IMO only, a year or more. But that's only what my crystal ball is saying. As far as  the number of deaths. It's in the 10's of thousands. I doubt that there will ever be an accurate count.