Author Topic: How to withdraw money from Ukrainian banks without going to Ukraine?  (Read 391 times)

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 150
I realize that this is not the most important question when people are dying, but nevertheless maybe somebody has an idea: 

How can you withdraw money held in a bank in Ukraine in a foreign currency account without going to Ukraine, without having online access to the account and without having any credit/debit cards for this account? 

The only thing I could come up with is trying to talk to the foreign parent company of the Ukrainian bank in view of the special situation, but they will probably refuse.  Any other ideas?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 22:13 01-Mar-2022 by K24 »

Offline Yarletpa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 14
  • I live here but don't expect to see me working
Sorry no ideas on that one

Good luck

Paul
Kiev

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
Drawing a blanks also. 
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
How can you withdraw money held in a bank in Ukraine in a foreign currency account without going to Ukraine, without having online access to the account and without having any credit/debit cards for this account? 
Is it really "your" account ??  :)

Sadly I don't think there is any way to do it. If you had a card, you could use Wise to extract the money. If you had online access you could wire it to another account where you have a card.
And unless your bank has branches abroad, you won't get any help. It's extremely unlikely the foreign parent company has any technical access to their foreign branch.

You could try to give a power of attorney to a trusted local, but even doing that from abroad will be a pain.

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
The parent company of the Ukrainian bank is in the EU.  I tormented the parent company with messages for a long time.  First, they told me repeatedly that I should talk to their Ukrainian subsidiary, not the EU parent company.  When they could not continue doing this any longer they then told me I should just go to Ukraine in person myself as this would not be too dangerous in their opinion if I am careful.  So basically they told me to piss off and since I have no legal right with which I could force the parent company to help, I have now unfortunately exhausted what I can do.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
Paypal is expanding services in Ukraine to send and receive.  They are also waiving fees until June 30.  This might be a viable option, although there is probably a limit on amounts and frequency of tranactions. 
https://news.yahoo.com/you-can-now-use-paypal-to-send-money-to-users-in-ukraine-001530106.html

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Paypal is expanding services in Ukraine to send and receive.  They are also waiving fees until June 30.  This might be a viable option, although there is probably a limit on amounts and frequency of tranactions. 
https://news.yahoo.com/you-can-now-use-paypal-to-send-money-to-users-in-ukraine-001530106.html

Thanks
« Last Edit: 23:57 07-Apr-2022 by K24 »

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You

Thanks, but the problem is unfortunately not making the international transfer - SWIFT also happily works -, but getting the Ukrainian bank do something without personal presence which they refuse :'(
Then you should try the power of attorney route. You may be able to do it in some of UA consulate abroad

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Along this line,, The National Bank of Ukraine has stopped SWIFT transfers into Ukraine except for sending to the army or for education. I can't send money to myself for living expenses. I might need to soon head to some out of country airport, fly stateside. get cash and return. I don't like the idea of carrying cash when going thru customs.  I think they'd love to seize it at any customs point.   Hopefully things will soon settle down here and SWIFT will again be allowed.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Along this line,, The National Bank of Ukraine has stopped SWIFT transfers into Ukraine except for sending to the army or for education. I can't send money to myself for living expenses.

This is bizarre.  Ukraine should be happy for any foreign currency entering it and not forbidding it.  I in the meantime have also realised that you cannot send money OUT of Ukraine by SWIFT but this I kind of understand - to conserve scarce foreign currency, however the other way round just seems bizarre.

But you can withdraw by credit card, so if you do not have one for a foreign account, get somebody to send you one if this is possible.

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 66
Along this line,, The National Bank of Ukraine has stopped SWIFT transfers into Ukraine except for sending to the army or for education. I can't send money to myself for living expenses. I might need to soon head to some out of country airport, fly stateside. get cash and return. I don't like the idea of carrying cash when going thru customs.  I think they'd love to seize it at any customs point.   Hopefully things will soon settle down here and SWIFT will again be allowed.

You could try sending it through Western Union. It works for sending money into Ukraine at the moment. My Polish bank even offers WU transfers into Ukraine completely free of any charges now.

Also, MoneySend (direct card-to-card transfers, not account-to-accont) worked okay just a week ago. Maybe it still does. If your bank offers the service, that is.
« Last Edit: 01:11 26-Apr-2022 by fabula_rasa »

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Along this line,, The National Bank of Ukraine has stopped SWIFT transfers into Ukraine except for sending to the army or for education. I can't send money to myself for living expenses.
I have just checked my Monobank app, and it still allows me to send money by SWIFT, SEPA, Payoneer, WU... From Europe to my euro account in monobank (from which I can transfer to my UA card))

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Update: The banker thinks that this might have a limit under 10K US but might be 5K US. He said try it and see. BUT htere are limits on the amount you can pull out. He thought 3.5K
US or 100K UAH was the limit.

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 66
There is definitely a hard limit of 100 k UAH a month on pulling money out of Ukraine.

Update: The banker thinks that this might have a limit under 10K US but might be 5K US. He said try it and see. BUT htere are limits on the amount you can pull out. He thought 3.5K

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
There is definitely a hard limit of 100 k UAH a month on pulling money out of Ukraine.

What do you use to pull out money from Ukraine ?
I used to do it with Wise & Revolut but it stopped working a few back