Author Topic: How to ship suitcase from Ukraine to EU in times of war?  (Read 282 times)

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 150
Hi! While I am not in Ukraine, I am trying to ask somebody to ship a suitcase from Kiev to the EU.  Are there any reliable commercial shipment services available at the moment? 

I believe due to the war UPS, DHL & Co. have paused their services and there are also no airlines flying into Ukraine at the moment.  As the content of the suitcase is important to me, I also do not just want to give it to some unknown guy I do not know who might say he can arrange something via a friend of a friend of a friend who might go by truck somewhere West. 

What would you recommend? 

Thank you!

« Last Edit: 18:31 18-Apr-2022 by K24 »

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 66
Hi!
You could try international delievery of Nova Poshta (https://novaposhta.ua/international_delivery/chastnym_klientam_md). They are definitely delivering stuff abraod at the moment, as they even started a special service for the refuges that allows sending stuff from your house abroad.
You'll need to make an accont first and register your package - all is explained there on their site.

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Hi!
You could try international delievery of Nova Poshta (https://novaposhta.ua/international_delivery/chastnym_klientam_md). They are definitely delivering stuff abraod at the moment, as they even started a special service for the refuges that allows sending stuff from your house abroad.
You'll need to make an accont first and register your package - all is explained there on their site.

Great idea!  Thank you!  Do you think they are reliable or am I at a high risk that my suitcase will just disappear or an empty suitcase will arrive?

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
I agree about using Nova Poshta.. They are very reliable and I use them when ever I order something, Thei tracking withing Ukraine works great, for International I'd assume the same thing. They'll ship any size for a suitcase will be no problem.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
K24, I read a bit about someone in a similar situation that in addition to the shipping VAT was added bringing the total to more than the cost of new things in the EU.

edit to add, Here's the FB post showing this, " This is good but at the same time causing lots of trouble. I know a girl that is in Poland, and her friend sent her used personal belongings from Ukraine to Poland. Delivery cost 5000 uah, reached Poland and there is 120€ tax on it, and tax office/customs grants no exceptions to a refugee. And this girl have no work, no money, and without paying this tax they are not handing over the shipment to her.
Moral of the story: she could have bought all the stuff new for $500  "
« Last Edit: 09:17 24-Apr-2022 by AkMike »
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Yes, thank you. I am aware of this.  My tentative shipping cost is actually even 8000 UAH and the import duties will also be a little higher.  But just things which have a certain sentimental value to me so I am unhappily happy to pay this.  Currently, Nova Poshta indeed seems to be the best option, but I will still wait a few weeks to see if anything else comes up.  Thank you.

Offline fabula_rasa

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 66
Great idea!  Thank you!  Do you think they are reliable or am I at a high risk that my suitcase will just disappear or an empty suitcase will arrive?

I used NP for a lot of my shipping needs over the years - both inside Ukraine and international ones - and they never let me down once. So, I would definitely label them as reliable :)

Online jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 944
  • -Receive: 755
  • Death to (your name here)!
Ukrposhta is still operating, we've sent items in both directions in the past 60 days. A tad bit slower than usual, as it goes by rail only now/

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
Ukrposhta is still operating, we've sent items in both directions in the past 60 days. A tad bit slower than usual, as it goes by rail only now/
I can confirm that. Received a few packages from Ukraine to France (took 3 weeks for one and a month for another)

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
I have been told that at the border there currently is a significant problem of theft.  Therefore shipping valuable things at present unfortunately appears very difficult

Online jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 944
  • -Receive: 755
  • Death to (your name here)!
Re: How to ship suitcase from Ukraine to EU in times of war?
« Reply #10 on: 09:03 18-May-2022 »
Ukrposhta is pretty tight... and keep in mind, with international tracked shipping, the declared value of the item is insured for the amount declared, so unless a family heirloom, shouldn't need to worry!

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 00:02 19-May-2022 »
Ukrposhta is pretty tight... and keep in mind, with international tracked shipping, the declared value of the item is insured for the amount declared, so unless a family heirloom, shouldn't need to worry!

That is true.  But if you declare high values, you also pay high import duties/import tax which in the EU generally amount to about 20-30% of the declared value.  So there soon comes a point where unless you really ship family heirlooms, the whole thing just becomes uneconomic
« Last Edit: 00:05 19-May-2022 by K24 »

Offline Yarletpa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 14
  • I live here but don't expect to see me working
« Reply #12 on: 19:20 17-Jun-2022 »
My experience is trying to receive items from the UK, on 3rd May I ordered a pair of boots for a neighbour who has enlisted and last update was 13th may from Parcelforce saying it's being prepared for export. I have chased this several times and gotten confirmation that the parcel has left the UK but no idea at all where it is now.