Author Topic: Larry David on the election  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Billy T

• N00b
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 72
    • Whirling Dervish
Larry David on the election
« on: 12:56 24-Oct-2008 »
For those who don't know Larry David is the writer that co-created the television series Seinfeld with Jerrry Seinfeld, he is also the creator of an hilarious show called Curb Your Enthusiasm....I feel Larry's pain, not as much as my wife though....

I can't take much more of this. Two weeks to go, and I'm at the end of my rope. I can't work. I can eat, but mostly standing up. I'm anxious all the time and taking it out on my ex-wife, which, ironically, I'm finding enjoyable. This is like waiting for the results of a biopsy. Actually, it's worse. Biopsies only take a few days, maybe a week at the most, and if the biopsy comes back positive, there's still a potential cure. With this, there's no cure. The result is final. Like death.

Five times a day I'll still say to someone, "I don't know what I'm going to do if McCain wins." Of course, the reality is I'm probably not going to do anything. What can I do? I'm not going to kill myself. If I didn't kill myself when I became impotent for two months in 1979, I'm certainly not going to do it if McCain and Palin are elected, even if it's by nefarious means. If Obama loses, it would be easier to live with it if it's due to racism rather than if it's stolen. If it's racism, I can say, "Okay, we lost, but at least it's a democracy. Sure, it's a democracy inhabited by a majority of disgusting, reprehensible turds, but at least it's a democracy." If he loses because it's stolen, that will be much worse. Call me crazy, but I'd rather live in a democratic racist country than a non-democratic non-racist one. (It's not exactly a Hobson's choice, but it's close, and I think Hobson would compliment me on how close I've actually come to giving him no choice. He'd love that!)

The one concession I've made to maintain some form of sanity is that I've taken to censoring my news, just like the old Soviet Union. The citizenry (me) only gets to read and listen to what I deem appropriate for its health and well-being. Sure, there are times when the system breaks down. Michele Bachmann got through my radar this week, right before bedtime. That's not supposed to happen. That was a lapse in security, and I've had to make some adjustments. The debates were particularly challenging for me to monitor. First I tried running in and out of the room so I would only hear my guy. This worked until I knocked over a tray of hors d'oeuvres. "Sit down or get out!" my host demanded. "Okay," I said, and took a seat, but I was more fidgety than a ten-year-old at temple. I just couldn't watch without saying anything, and my running commentary, which mostly consisted of "Shut up, you prick!" or "You're a ****ing liar!!!" or "Go to hell, you ****sucker!" was way too distracting for the attendees, and finally I was asked to leave.

Assuming November 4th ever comes, my big decision won't be where I'll be watching the returns, but if I'll be watching. I believe I have big jinx potential and may have actually cost the Dems the last two elections. I know I've jinxed sporting events. When my teams are losing and I want them to make a comeback, all I have to do is leave the room. Works every time. So if I do watch, I'll do it alone. I can't subject other people to me in my current condition. I just don't like what I've turned into -- and frankly I wasn't that crazy about me even before the turn. This election is having the same effect on me as marijuana. All of my worst qualities have been exacerbated. I'm paranoid, obsessive, nervous, and totally mental. It's one long, intense, bad trip. I need to come down. Soon.

"The story of the gay sheep showed what can result when science meets global news"--The International Herald Tribune, January 26th, 2007.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
Re: Larry David on the election
« Reply #1 on: 13:35 24-Oct-2008 »
I am sure he is not alone, regardless of party line.  The next Presidential election campaign (2012) starts November 5 2008 right?  ;) :D :D :D :D
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline Billy T

• N00b
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 72
    • Whirling Dervish
« Reply #2 on: 14:37 24-Oct-2008 »
I am sure he is not alone, regardless of party line.  The next Presidential election campaign (2012) starts November 5 2008 right?  ;) :D :D :D :D

Pretty much....But I think it doesn't really get going till around 100 days after the new guy gets sworn in in January....See after Election day, we all know who is gonna be president, and we can turn our attention back to the current guy, at this time Bush, and see if he' screws anything up, see who he pardons, and just generaly keep an eye on what messes he's gonna make for the next guy...And depending on whether we like or loath him, we can spend those last two months together thinking about all the great times we had blowing someone or another off the face of the earth, or venting our final reserves of outrage and spleen while screaming he better find a way to pardon himself in advance, while we wistfuly dream of all those scenes of pitchfork and torch wielding mobs in the old black and white frankenstein movies.....

Then the new guy starts and he has what the press likes to call his honeymoon...A period where the new guy has generaly laid out what he hopes to accomplish in his first 100 days in office...And those who blindly hate him get to start screaming, those who blindly love him cheering, and nothing much actually getting done....And right about here is where the congressional eloections for 2010 start and pundits begin hedging their bets for 2012.....Ahhh brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it....
"The story of the gay sheep showed what can result when science meets global news"--The International Herald Tribune, January 26th, 2007.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #3 on: 14:49 24-Oct-2008 »
That is what happens when you have "the greatest democracy on earth" label.  :D :D :D :D :D
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me