Author Topic: "Reference" rents?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline mscmkr

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 204
  • -Receive: 106
"Reference" rents?
« on: 11:54 09-Dec-2008 »
Hi people,
I have looked around the forum and found some useful information on that matter but I would like some more updated / specific info.

If I come to Kiev, I will be looking to rent a 100 - 130 sq.m. apartment within a normal (30 min.) commuting distance from centre. Some suggestions I have is Podil (is that the right name or I am confused?) or the other side of the river.

Nothing fancy - but of decent quality (I guess that leaves "Soviet style" out) - and unfurnished.

What would be a normal price to look for as I dont want to fall victim to hungry real estate agents?

(I know about Aviso but can't read russian...  :( )

Thank you for taking the time to read.
« Last Edit: 11:04 11-Dec-2008 by mscmkr »

For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle - W. Churchill

Offline Moliere

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 25
Re: "Normal" rents?
« Reply #1 on: 14:33 09-Dec-2008 »

If I come to Kiev, I will be looking to rent a 100 - 130 sq.m. apartment within a normal (30 min.) commuting distance from centre. Some suggestions I have is Podil (is that the right name or I am confused?) or the other side of the river.

Nothing fancy - but of decent quality (I guess that leaves "Soviet style" out) - and unfurnished.

What would be a normal price to look for as I dont want to fall victim to hungry real estate agents?

Hi,

I'm thinking you might be miscalculating square feet and square meters.  A one room apartment might be 30 sq m.

I hesitate to put a number on it.  Yes, real estate agents are hungry, but one or two guesses from folks on this forum won't keep you from falling into their jaws. 

Find a friend who speaks Russian and Ukrainian and have him/her give you a quick primer on the terminology in Aviso  ("fitted kitchen," "remodeled three years ago,"  "20/8/6" which is how they state the size in square meters, furnished/unfurnished).  Even if you don't get to the point where you can judge good and bad apartments you WILL be able to tell : "Hey, almost all of the apartments listed are 25% less than the real estate agent is telling me.  And they do have the one or two things that are important to me (and which I can now read in Russian and Ukrainian.)"

Offline mscmkr

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 19:33 09-Dec-2008 »
Thanks Moliere
I know what sq.m. is. I also have a family for which I need these sq.m.  :)
What I am looking for is some 'reference' rents, If I may call it this way.
For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle - W. Churchill

Offline Jarek

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 83
« Reply #3 on: 20:15 09-Dec-2008 »
Hi people,
I have looked around the forum and found some useful information on that matter but I would like some more updated / specific info.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Podil is one of the most expensive places in Kiev.Nice but expensive, former artists' district (like Latin District in Paris).
Rather forget left bank - huge Kiev bedroom and unpredictable traffic on few bridges that few million people are using everyday to go to/from work in the city on the right bank.
My friends who live in city centre or Podil are paying for 100-140 sq.m. european style apartments 2500-3500USD per month.It was organized through agencies for foreigners and it's overpriced for sure.
My apartment is also in new house, almost 100 sq.m. but far from the city centre - near Odessa exit.As I know russian language, local "culture" ;) and negotiations are my job :) I pay 1000USD/per month.Driving to very centre usually is about 30-40 minutes.
Patriam amamus, non quia magna est, sed quia nostra

Offline Moliere

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #4 on: 20:27 09-Dec-2008 »
Thanks Moliere

Apologies for my presumption.  You can guess that my family is in the US .  Three grown kids can use a lot of space.  After 3 months in Kiev, I've forgotten what it was like to have 3,000 sq ft.

Offline mscmkr

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 11:03 11-Dec-2008 »
Thanks Moliere

Apologies for my presumption.  You can guess that my family is in the US .  Three grown kids can use a lot of space.  After 3 months in Kiev, I've forgotten what it was like to have 3,000 sq ft.
No problem  :) I understand.

Offline Jazz

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: "Reference" rents?
« Reply #6 on: 21:17 23-Dec-2008 »
Hi

I am not a real estate agent. I just own a four-room Western-style apartment in the central part of Kiev and I will rent it out soon. I have found two previous tenants through this forum and I think I could ask them to give you references for it (at least they've told me that they liked the apartment and our cooperation very much.) If if you are interested. Here is the info:

Four room Western style appartment:newly furbished and fully equipped. 

It has 90 square meters, four rooms with beds plus a spacy kitchen (11sq.m). Beautiful design- parquet wood floor, fresh painted walls, Italian curtains and tiles, etc. All new furniture, TV, DVD, VCR, stereo system, Cable TV and high speed Internet,  a washer, kitchen appliances, built-in security alarm,  two entrance doors with safebox locks (one of the doors  is a armored one  and has anti-burglary device). There are two balconies, one of which is completely covered with wooden siding and has 7,5 sq meters and is facing nice green area. The building entrance has a metal door and intercom.

The building is up the hill and has a very nice view. You can see St.Anderws, St.Sophia, St. Makar's church, domes of St.Michaels, and St.Volodymyrs.

There is a school, a swimming pool, a gym, a sauna, an Internet-cafe, a guarded parking and a huge Western-style  Furshet grocery supermarket and mall close to the apartment.

It is conveniently located between Lukyanovka metro station and Podil. The monthly rent is 2000 USD.

I am the owner hence there is no agency fees.

My e-mail is: eazelenko@yahoo.com

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 102
Re: "Reference" rents?
« Reply #7 on: 22:28 23-Dec-2008 »
I pay $650 / month for Soviet style flat near (just above) Podil. (Close to the Mary Kay HQ if you know your way around). Nothing fancy but for that price I am happy. I just have more money to spend on other things. It is a 3-room flat on a high floor with 2 balconies with nice views and metro not too far way. Mini buses just a few blocks away and several supermarkets close by. I can even walk to the city center (St Sophia) in about 30 min. In case you need a reference rent to compare with. That said I consider the rent to be below local market, the catch is that I have to fix everything myself that breaks down, the landlord only wants to collect the rent   ::) 
В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.