Author Topic: Calling from warsaw  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Amerikranian

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
Calling from warsaw
« on: 05:05 18-Dec-2008 »
I'm going to be flying into Kiev after a layover in Warsaw. Any suggestions with ways to call from Warsaw to Ukraine on the likelihood that my flight gets delayed/canceled? I've been through Warsaw a few times but can't remember if pay-phones are available within the terminals. Are there any cheap cellies I can pick up and use in the airport abroad?

Offline Jarek

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 83
Re: Calling from warsaw
« Reply #1 on: 14:09 18-Dec-2008 »
I'm not sure, but I think that you can buy some pre-paid sim-cards (orange, heyah, tak-tak, simplus) for 20 or 25 PLN (approx. 5-6 EUR) in RELAY newspaper stores in terminal.
Patriam amamus, non quia magna est, sed quia nostra

Carlusha

« Reply #2 on: 18:16 18-Dec-2008 »
As an alternative, why not check whether your current provider has a partner agreement with a provider in Poland? Presumably you would only want to send an SMS should there be any delay.

For UK mobiles, so presumably the same applies to your cell phone, simply turn your cell phone on upon arrival Warsaw and it will connect to the strongest signal from a local partner provider. All done ........ costs nothing. Now, on my mobile, if I send an SMS from Poland to Ukraine, it costs 35p (about 50 cents). Possibly, with luck, you won't need to send a message.

Upon arrival Ukraine, simply change your US SIM for a local Ukrainian SIM most suited to your needs.

Your current provider should answer all this on their website. My provider, Virgin, covers all Europe and have 4 partner providers in Poland. I have just been told by a US friend that your cell phone should work anywhere in Europe.

Offline Amerikranian

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: 01:18 19-Dec-2008 »
As an alternative, why not check whether your current provider has a partner agreement with a provider in Poland? Presumably you would only want to send an SMS should there be any delay.

For UK mobiles, so presumably the same applies to your cell phone, simply turn your cell phone on upon arrival Warsaw and it will connect to the strongest signal from a local partner provider. All done ........ costs nothing. Now, on my mobile, if I send an SMS from Poland to Ukraine, it costs 35p (about 50 cents). Possibly, with luck, you won't need to send a message.

Upon arrival Ukraine, simply change your US SIM for a local Ukrainian SIM most suited to your needs.

Your current provider should answer all this on their website. My provider, Virgin, covers all Europe and have 4 partner providers in Poland. I have just been told by a US friend that your cell phone should work anywhere in Europe.

Yeah, it is a GSM phone, so it'll work world-wide. However, the rates are outrageous and you have to pay for an entire month once you switch to that plan, regardless of how many minutes you use. The SMS idea is sounds  strong though, I'll keep that in mind.

And Jarek, thanks for the idea with RELAY. Hopefully all flights will be on time, fingers are crossed!