Author Topic: Eastern Europe  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Chicagomike

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Eastern Europe
« on: 00:08 16-Feb-2009 »
  Very interesting post, the long one about Eastern Europe.   NOTHING is ANY better or worse here.   The banks won't give out the money O'Bama gave them.   Caterpillar got rid of 20'000 workers as you all may have read last week and said they will bring them back if they get a handout.   People had TOO MUCH MONEY if one rationalizes it !   The money was thrown like garbage !  Maybe now the store won't sell doggie sweaters that are cheap Chinese polyester for $20.  Too many cars and so much else.  The kids take classes like sociology at college and want to get $75K .  Who needs sociology , and what is it, really?  O'Bama says build bridges, but 90 lb. clerks are going to get left  behing.  My wife saw on CNN the Mexicans are going back.  CNN showed a big surge in passports for Mexico .   The fat is shrinking here bigtime !  Who needs the snow and cold anyhow... cheers

Offline Vera

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 825
  • -Receive: 595
Re: Eastern Europe
« Reply #1 on: 00:19 16-Feb-2009 »
What is wrong with sociology!???
Quit ranting please ....I mean really!
Organize your thoughts and then present them in a meaningful form and manner.
You waist the readers’ time posting incoherent stuff like that....
IMHO it is a bit disrespectful of the others
« Last Edit: 01:09 16-Feb-2009 by Vera »
"You never really know a guy until you've stared at him for 8 hours through high powered binoculars." -Spongebob Squarepants

Offline free spirit

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: 00:45 16-Feb-2009 »
The OP post was incoherent, Vera, but I believe the point is that sociology classes are just political propaganda (anti-racism, anti-sexism etc). If it was a real subject you could challenge their results and ask questions, but in fact if you attend sociology classes and question the teacher closely on a subject like race, the teacher will just start screaming epithets (Racist! Nazi! Fascist!). So what's the point of a subject you can't have a rational discussion on?

Offline Vera

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 00:53 16-Feb-2009 »
Look, why single out sociology then? A lot of subjects studied in Universities are of questionable relevance to real everyday life.
Maybe, if he at least set in one sociology class ,he would think in a different manner and his posts would not be so insulting to the reader's intelligence......
"You never really know a guy until you've stared at him for 8 hours through high powered binoculars." -Spongebob Squarepants

Offline Chicagomike

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: 22:21 16-Feb-2009 »
 My apologies to everyone for NOT being educated enough to present things in a proper format !   I am not educated, and am carrying on like Bill O'Reilly, but he has a paper from Harvard and is accross the air on Fox.     I was poking at people in general about not doing "real work"  like building bridges and roads per Mr. O'Bama.  I am a big O'Bama fan !  He is refreshing as opposed to the same  good ole boys govmnt we have had for so long.  The sociology story was about a young woman that was cut and sent out 700 cv's.  She only got 7 replies.  Not even McDonalds would hire her for mgmnt . training.  This was on CNN or somewhere.  I had a plumber rod out the main pipe  in my lawn, he wanted $300 !  My daughter's dentist ws $128 , but she only worked 15 mins. The plumber worked 1 hr.  Nothing personal.. Cheers gang.  I gotta go !  Check in later. 

Writer-Kyiv

« Reply #5 on: 07:22 17-Feb-2009 »
I'm sure most people with Sociology degrees (or degrees in Russian - I'm sure you'll find something dismissive to say about my education) know how to write figures properly, and can spell the name of the leader of their country.

Sometimes the most intelligent people don't earn the most, sometimes things cost more than you imagined they would. Is that news to any of us? You just come across as an illiterate whinger - why here, what's your connection with Ukraine?

Offline Billy T

• N00b
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 72
    • Whirling Dervish
« Reply #6 on: 08:56 17-Feb-2009 »
"The story of the gay sheep showed what can result when science meets global news"--The International Herald Tribune, January 26th, 2007.

Offline mattsh

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 105
  • -Receive: 276
« Reply #7 on: 09:49 17-Feb-2009 »
Wow, lighten up a bit people. 

A rant, good or otherwise, never hurt anyone.  Not that I know of, at least.  :)

And am I the only one that can see a bit of humor in O'bama? 

OK, I guess I am...
My brief bio at: About Me
My website at: Matt Create

"Reality will continue to happen, even to those who refuse to recognize it's legitimacy." - Me

Offline free spirit

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: 11:42 17-Feb-2009 »
Jonathan, there is a YouTube video of President Obama claiming Irish roots. He was joking, I think (although he could have Irish roots through his mother). It's nice to see Obama has a sense of humour. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCkF0hziZXo&e

Writer-Kyiv

« Reply #9 on: 11:59 17-Feb-2009 »
If Mike could write in English we'd be able to tell the humour from the mistakes. I'm all in favour of a rant now and again, as those of you who spent time on Expatua over Christmas know, but what he wrote just came across as garbage. Sorry if it sounds prudish.

Now, the price of metro cards, being stared at by sixty-something women on marshrutki and still having to read about Vanco Prykerchenska as part of my job - now those are worthy rants!

Offline Vera

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 12:17 17-Feb-2009 »
In addition the thread is called "Eastern Europe" but deals with American issues.

Offline Billy T

• N00b
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 72
    • Whirling Dervish
« Reply #11 on: 13:30 17-Feb-2009 »

A rant, good or otherwise, never hurt anyone.  Not that I know of, at least.  :)

OK, I guess I am...

The post isn't offensive in the least, it's gibberish, and broadly written so that anyone could take just about anything out of it (hence my assertion that someone has gone fishin)....Oh and the O'bama joke was kinda funny-a year ago (when the campaign themselves were selling the shirt)...Today, bout as funny as stale bread...

I give you the O'Bama St Paddys 2008 shirt...
http://store.barackobama.com/product_p/ts26946.htm

"The story of the gay sheep showed what can result when science meets global news"--The International Herald Tribune, January 26th, 2007.

Offline Moliere

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #12 on: 18:55 17-Feb-2009 »

[/url]

I didn't read the rest of this thread, so I don't know if there's any excuse for posting under Eastern Europe, but I love this tee-shirt design.  Just before I moved to Kiev, I lived in an apartment complex where one of my neighbors put up the poster version of this design on his door so you would see it as you passed in the hall.

My neighbor was black.  I took to joking with him whenever we met, remarking that it was good to know that he was Irish and that I was proud that we had something in common.

In my opinion, that was the spirit of the design.