Author Topic: moving with kids questions  (Read 4470 times)

momo

moving with kids questions
« on: 12:33 09-Jan-2006 »
My husband has been offered a position in Kyiv and we are deciding whether to accept or not.  We have 2 small kids (2yr old child and 4mth baby) and are currently living in Czech Rep.  I would love to hear from other families to find out:
- how child friendly Kyiv is?
- what are medical facilities like  (I have read some articles on Internet advising to travel to Germany when you have a medical problem requiring hospitalisation).  
- We would like have a third baby later so anyone who has info on child birth in Ukraine for a foreigner
Thanks for any info you can give me

Offline Old Admin (Retired)

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 115
  • -Receive: 321
    • http://www.expatua.com
« Reply #1 on: 09:21 10-Jan-2006 »
Big Mothercare store opened recently in Kyiv will definitely help.

Offline Old Admin (Retired)

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 115
  • -Receive: 321
    • http://www.expatua.com
« Reply #2 on: 14:35 12-Jan-2006 »
We have received this leter from Yulia Boyle she wanted us to post it to this forum -

We have been living in Kiev for about year and a half and we are enjoying it.  Kiev is great for kids. Below are just a few places we have been with our 2 kids: 13 months old and a 4, 5 year old.  In addition, if you consider having a baby here, there is absolutely no need to go to Germany or any other place: Private Maternity Clinic Issida offers great conditions and pretty good medical staff.  Before having the baby we thought of going to the US, but when we saw Issida, we decided to stay and are very happy with that decision. Our girl was born in this clinic in Kiev in the midst of Orange revolution!  Kiev is a very pleasant and developed city, possibly the most developed in the former Soviet space  (not including the Baltic states, of course) and tons nicer than Moscow ( no comparison whatsoever!). I think you will have a good time here with your family.  

CHILDREN?S ENTERTAINMENT AND FOOD

Inside

Dim Klouniv (The Clown House)-Located in the same building as circus (entrance from the exact opposite site), this place is a party surprises shop, as well as a Birthday Parlor.  There are tons of masquerades/carnival costumes, masks, wigs, etc. on the first floor. The second floor has a large venue for birthday parties.  It is called Podushkovy Zal (Pillow Hall), and it consists of a large main hall for the actual festivity, a small room for parents/adults and a small kitchen.

Ukraina Mall-3rd Floor has an activity area for kids; they do interactive play and some table-top activities

Petrivka mega-market - less crowded than other places, cheap video games and play-zone.

Petrivka GorodOK - free play room (for one hour) with nice ladies Ukraine shopping mall - free activities for the kids while you shop in uncrowned conditions

Arizona ?Sunday kids activities and clowns

Baboon-Sunday 12:00 a very friendly lady, who actually loves children, will do origami and other fun activities with your kids.

Karavan magic water fountain ? the kids will watch it for hours, while you can sit nearby at a cute caf? and have a drink.

Karavan skating ring- a fun place to be if you can maintain balance on ice! The entrance fee includes skate rental for  45 minute session.

Aquarium Fitness Center in Obolon- this place has a great Children?s Center with a large play area, tiny work out stations/equipment for kids, computer room, table-top activities
and an instructor/nanny.  This is for children from 12 months up, however, and at least one parent has to be a member of the gym to be able to buy a membership for for the kid. The Fitness Center is great, though!

Bowling for kids?Ira

riding the metro during a weekend morning - it's uncrowned and you can pretend the fast-paced escalators are an amusement park ride

Outside fun

sledding at hero mother (winter)
Ostrich farm - like a privatized zoo!
Dnipro cruise (summer)
playgrounds in shevchenko park and marynsky park (if you had to choose - then shevchenko - cheap mlintsy! Marinsky has no food nearby) Afghanistan memorial - climb on tanks and sit on helicopters.
McDonalds on Prospekt Pobedy (across from ministry of transport) - play-zone and view of the trains Nyvky park (paddle boats for under a buck!)

CHILDREN?S BOOKS

Globe Bookstore in Metrograd-lots of English language children?s books, the latest best-sellers

Great children?s books from Aba-Ba-Ba-Ha-La-Ma-Ha Ukrainian publisher?the books are absolutely beautiful design and content-wise.  By far the best I have seen by any post-Soviet publisher.  Really awesome! Artwork is so great you just want to frame every page! You can find the Ukrainian versions almost in every books store, including Petryvka Open-air market.  English versions of some titles are available, however are rarity at this moment.

KIDS CLOTHS

Mothercare-by far the best cloths for children (much cutter and better quality then Bennetton and such), reasonably priced.  Has great dress-up party stuff and costumes.  Great toys.

Lithuanian Cottons ?Liniya?- has a good selection of children?s casual cloths and underwear, very inexpensive (they have adult cloths as well).  Stores in Karavan Shopping Mall and on Sahaydachnogo street in Podyl.

Darnitza ?Detski Mir? and the children?s open air bazaar.  Located close to Darnitsa metro, this place has lots of nice cloths.  The open air bazaar has some great bargains and some cool casual long sleeve T-Shirts with action figures (Spiderman, etc.).

Small shop on Shevchenko Blvrd. Right after the Railway Ticketing Agency.  It is called something like ?Everything for embroidering at home? and it has a great selection of yarn and ? for children?s cloths.