Expatriate Cafe > For Sale and wanted

Freecyclers

(1/7) > >>

clanholmes:
http://www.freecycle.org/

Welcome! The Freecycle Network? is made up of 4,744 groups with 6,724,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on ?Browse Groups? above the search box. Have fun!

They have them in Russia and seem to work well.

Vera:
There is no "Freecyclers Ukraine" community (last time I checked). Someone needs to start one. It is great. I use it. It is a great Idea but really every local classifieds board (like Slando or emarket in Ukraine) usually has a "for free" section which kinda works the same way. But ,yeah ,freecyclers are pretty good. The only bad thing about it is that if someone posts something good - it is usually taken too quickly by someone else :)

Madrigal:
I agree it would be cool to have, I wonder why it never catches on in UA?

Vera:
I doubt in Ukraine they ever heard of it. I am sure 99.9% of population have not. Even if they have, still there is no dedicated freecycling group for Ukraine. Another "phenomenon" :) that I think may be contributing to this (and I am observing this on daily basis dealing with people in Ukraine) -the level of computer literacy is really low. Most are not even intermediate level users- I am telling you that might be surprising but it is a FACT. So, there you have it................

OSK:
All,
  In fairness to our host country, freecycling has existed for ages in Ukraine without all the formality.  Here is how it works.  If you have any that is perfectly good that you don't need (no matter how big or small) there are several ways to deliver it the world of Freecyclers Po-Ukrainski.

If the items are small, place them in a clean cardboard box.  If too large for a box, don't bother with the box.

Alternatives:

- place the box in your apartment entrance way and it will disappear by morning (if you want to remove the guilt from the Freecycler, you can write "bezplatno" on the box

- give the items to your apartment dezhurna or guard and they will take care of its distribution

- offer the items to an elderly neighbor.  They may not need it, but they can trade it with their friends

If you want to take a more anonymous approach, place the items near a garbage receptacle and the elderly or homeless who make the rounds will take care of your unneeded items long before the garbage truck shows up.  As a courtesy, avoid putting out your unwanted items when it is raining to avoid damage.

That's all there is to it!    No fuss, no organizational campaigns,....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version