Author Topic: Jumpers for goalposts?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2028
    • Kiev Life
Jumpers for goalposts?
« on: 07:18 13-Aug-2009 »
Kyiv officials prepare three capital parks for ?Picnic?

The next year Kyiv officials plan to start implementing ?Picnic? experimental program on organization of recreation for residents and guests of the capital.

The press service of Kyiv city state administration disclosed to UNIAN that the program is approved within the frameworks of preparation of the capital for the football championship Euro-2012.

Director General of ?Kievzelenstroy? PU Yuriy Haev noted that a picnic is a typical European form of leisure time in the open air.

He added that the experimental program ?Picnic? will be implemented in several parks controlled by Kievzelenstroy? PU: park of ?Druzhby Narodov?, Hydropark and ?Guerrilla?s glory park?.

The start of ?Picnic? experimental program is scheduled for spring 2010.

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1000
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: Jumpers for goalposts?
« Reply #1 on: 07:34 13-Aug-2009 »
Sounds like just an outdoor food fair, basically, with some sort of entertainment, and whatever the Ukrainian equivalent is, of spitting contests, three legged races, and of course a Vareniki eating contest.
   How is prohibition of alcohol going in Kyiv, anyway?  That will go over really well, during the Euro matches, I'm sure...

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #2 on: 22:41 13-Aug-2009 »
Does Kiev have the hotel capacity issue like Moscow has ? Do they have enough room for all the visitors?
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 00:38 14-Aug-2009 »

I guess they managed to put people up during Eurovision, In Kyiv so probably they can handle Euro 2012.  Unfortunately, they (Kyivians) seem to have misplaced most of the money allocated for construction of facillities to host the event, itself.  So, construction hasn't started.  (I think Carl posted about that, someone did.   Perhaps the picnic will actually be a consolation prize for disappointed ticket holders.

Ukraine struggles with Euro 2012 ultimatum

Note that Donetsk has a large stadium, the most modern in Ukraine, but they definitely don't have the other requisite infrastructure, hotels, airport facilities, etc.

richardm

« Reply #4 on: 09:29 14-Aug-2009 »
In the extremely unlikely event Euro 2012 will be in Ukraine there is no way at present they could handle a fixture like England-Germany in Kiev let alone any other city in Ukraine.

At a guess 70,000 fans from those countries alone will be in one city on one given day (god knows where they will sleep).

4000 people coming to Kiev for Eurovision can not even be compared with the magnitude of what this tournament entails.

Only a hell of alot of work could address this and so far that hasnt happened and there are no signs it will happen in the future, three quarters of a billion dollars has gone missing from the funding already and I guess that is your main answer for the lack of progress.

I guess they managed to put people up during Eurovision, In Kyiv so probably they can handle Euro 2012.  Unfortunately, they (Kyivians) seem to have misplaced most of the money allocated for construction of facillities to host the event, itself.  So, construction hasn't started.  (I think Carl posted about that, someone did.   Perhaps the picnic will actually be a consolation prize for disappointed ticket holders.

Ukraine struggles with Euro 2012 ultimatum

Note that Donetsk has a large stadium, the most modern in Ukraine, but they definitely don't have the other requisite infrastructure, hotels, airport facilities, etc.

« Last Edit: 09:50 14-Aug-2009 by richardm »

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 12:00 14-Aug-2009 »
In the extremely unlikely event Euro 2012 will be in Ukraine there is no way at present they could handle a fixture like England-Germany in Kiev let alone any other city in Ukraine.

At a guess 70,000 fans from those countries alone will be in one city on one given day (god knows where they will sleep).

4000 people coming to Kiev for Eurovision can not even be compared with the magnitude of what this tournament entails.

Only a hell of alot of work could address this and so far that hasnt happened and there are no signs it will happen in the future, three quarters of a billion dollars has gone missing from the funding already and I guess that is your main answer for the lack of progress.

Well, O.K. you are right, that Eurovision would be dwarfed by Euro-2012 , but I think maybe Eurovision brought up to 10,000 visitors to Kyiv.

richardm

« Reply #6 on: 14:05 14-Aug-2009 »
Yeah and those of us who were here at the time can remember that even that was going to have the plug pulled on it 2 weeks before, only some frantic work on Dvorets Sport saved the day!