Author Topic: Swine flu epidemic starts in Ukraine, says Health Ministry  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Old Admin (Retired)

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 115
  • -Receive: 321
    • http://www.expatua.com
An epidemic of the A/H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu, has started in Ukraine, Health Minister Vasyl Kniazevych announced at a press conference on Friday.

"Unfortunately, we have to state that an A/H1N1 flu epidemic has in fact started in Ukraine," he said.

The Health Ministry is planning to impose quarantine throughout Ukraine, he said responding a question from Interfax-Ukraine.

"We are considering the possibility of introducing quarantine not only in the western regions but throughout the country because the virus is spreading extremely fast," he said.

Source: Interfax

Offline AWSP

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
Does anyone know what the implications and restrictions are likely to be, should a caountry-wide quarantine be imposed?
I am due to fly to Germany next week - will this still be possible or will I have to stay here?

Offline Old Admin (Retired)

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 115
  • -Receive: 321
    • http://www.expatua.com
The Cabinet of Ministers has imposed quarantine in nine regions due to А(H1N1) flu epidemics, Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko said.

In particular, the prime minister said that the quarantine works are held in Ivano-Frankivsk, Lviv, and Ternopil regions, in which flu cases were registered.

Besides, these works are held even in six neighbouring regions: Zakarpattia, Chernivtsi, Rivne, Volyn, Khmelnytskyi, and Vinnytsia.

The prime minister said that right after the meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers, the governmental delegation headed by her will go to Ternopil region.

As Ukrainian News earlier reported, the Health Ministry of Ukraine has declared A(H1N1) epidemics in Ukraine.

Kniazevych said 31 patients have been examined and A(H1N1) have been confirmed with 11 of them.

A total 951 people have been hospitalized with acute respiratory diseases and flu as of October 29.

As for 30 people who died in the west of Ukraine October 19 through October 29, he said only one was examined and the A(H1N1) case has been confirmed.

Other cases are being examined at present.

The Health Ministry said Ukraine has enough medications to cure this kind of flu.

He warned the population of Ukraine about necessity to immediately see to doctors with such symptoms as high temperature, cough, and other.

The Health Ministry on October 29 confirmed 30 deaths from flu and acute respiratory virus diseases in Ternopil region, Ivano-Frankivsk region, and Lviv region from October 19 through October 29.

From October 19 through 16:00 of October 29, six deaths were registered from these diseases in Ivano-Frankivsk region, 12 deaths in Lviv region (including one child), and 12 deaths in Ternopil region.

As of 16:00, October 29, the number of people who contracted flu or acute respiratory disease in the three regions was 37,923 and 951 of them were hospitalized.

Source: UN.ua

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
We have free vaccines in Canada, but you have to wait 6 hours in a line up.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1000
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Ukraine might act out of ignorance, but a quarantine is totally pointless and useless.  No quarantine has a prayer of controlling it either within Ukraine or between Ukraine and any other country.  Everyone without some immunity, natural or otherwise, will get swine flu.
Most countries are making some token gesture to ward off swine flu, for the benefit of the ignorant, but without actually impeding travel or commerce.
   Perhaps Ukraine will go back to the strategy of interdicting and strapping snot nosed travelers to wheelchairs, and subjecting them to ruthless interrogations by military doctors.

Offline MWDabbs

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 217
  • -Receive: 285
    • Opera Mobile Store Blog
Just a quick note that in Odessa one of the pharmacies near us was swamped by literally hundreds of people standing in line about 4:30-5'ish. 

It's starting to hit some news and watch sites:

http://www.reuters.com/article/americasCrisis/idUSLU288212

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2009/10/unidentified-flu-outbreak-in-western-ukraine.html
We cannot afford governments that cannot afford to take care of our veterans.

Offline mattsh

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 105
  • -Receive: 276
Well, maybe the issue is not controlling it, but slowing it down so clinics and hospitals in other parts of the country can get ready.  If that's the case, the a quarantine make perfect sense.

And saying everyone without some immunity will get swine flu is just not true.  If it was, there would be a lot more people getting the flu every winter.  Some people will get it, some will not. 
My brief bio at: About Me
My website at: Matt Create

"Reality will continue to happen, even to those who refuse to recognize it's legitimacy." - Me

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1000
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Well, maybe the issue is not controlling it, but slowing it down so clinics and hospitals in other parts of the country can get ready.  If that's the case, the a quarantine make perfect sense.

And saying everyone without some immunity will get swine flu is just not true.  If it was, there would be a lot more people getting the flu every winter.  Some people will get it, some will not. 

Swine Flu, if a person is not otherwise ill, is not a very severe flu.  It is worse than a head cold, and not as bad as a conventional flu.  The whole thing about swine flu, is that it is new and that because it is new, the human immune system is almost defenseless against it.  The only exception is that older people, past about mid-forties, seem to have immunity, and nobody is sure why, yet.
An extra bonus, is that swine flu, unlike conventional flu, can be transmitted an entire week after onset of symptoms (Vs. two days for regular flu.)  Not only that, but you can have swine flu and conventional flu simultaneously, which is killing some of the worst afflicted.
  Next year, yes a lot of people will have immunity that they develop after getting swine flu this year.  This year almost everyone will get it.  So, next year fewer people will get swine flu, but there is a down side.  The flu may also change into something more dangerous.  Flu viruses tend to either be dangerous or infectious.  This year will be infectious.  Next year could be more dangerous, who knows.