Author Topic: A Democracy without a Parliament?!?!?  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Tim

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 80
Re: A Democracy without a Parliament?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: 09:57 10-Sep-2007 »
You, gentlemen, started discussing issues not even agreed terms. For example, democracy existed in ancient Greece but its demos didn't include slaves and women i.e. only a few percents could vote. Would you call such a system democracy nowadays?

More complicated example. Karl Popper defined democracy through ability of the people to be the judge and even remove the government (without bloodshed) but regardless of who make the laws of the state. Very different definition, isn’t it?

On the contrary, there is a school believing that making the laws and supervising the financial system are 2 key ingredients to controlling the power. That’s exactly what people lack in most democratic countries.

And what about the UK? That country has not got a Constitution, should it be considered as democratic? Based on what standards?
« Last Edit: 11:59 10-Sep-2007 by Tim »

Offline Packman

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 112
  • www.fabbers.com.ua
    • Fabbers Desktop Factories
« Reply #16 on: 11:45 10-Sep-2007 »
That's nice, Ed - agreeing with all of us!

Though in Parliamentary systems the prime minister and cabinet will exercise executive power on a day-to-day basis, actual authority will usually be bestowed in the head of state, giving them many codified or uncodified reserve powers, providing some balance to these systems.

This sentence gives what we together have been saying!  ;D

Claus,

Obviously you know your system better than I, but let me just ask you as a point of fact. 

Does the Foreign Minister report to the King/Queen or PM?
Do food inspectors report to the King/Queen?

Are you saying that the PM has executive power in the name of the King/Queen?  The King/Queen hold it but rarely exercise it?

Just trying to get some clarification.

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
« Reply #17 on: 12:32 10-Sep-2007 »
Pack,

Does the Foreign Minister report to the King/Queen or PM? To the PM - in DK the Queen/King appoints the PM, who selects the other ministers, which are then approved by the Queen/King but refer to the PM.

Do food inspectors report to the King/Queen? Yes! Well, indirectly - All administrative bodies/persons refer to administrative heads ('departementschefer') who are appointed by and refer to the Queen/King.

Are you saying that the PM has executive power in the name of the King/Queen? Something like that - but each and every minister has some limited and specific executive power in the name of the Queen/King.

The King/Queen hold it but rarely exercise it? True.
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline BrianPBG

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: 09:56 12-Sep-2007 »
We have no spoils-system, and no corruption either.

a lil brash there considering the dk still ranks 4th behind several other Scandinavian countries on the CPI list, hell, assuming no corruption exists at all is just preposterous for any individual to believe, no matter where you live   :-X
I wasn't left behind, I just rode a slower bus

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: 14:54 12-Sep-2007 »
But yes, Brian!  ::)
You're right, naturally, I stand corrected. Should have written, 'In Denmark we do not have the spoils system, and we're one of the four least corrupt countries in the world.'
Apologies for the inprecision  ;)
« Last Edit: 14:56 12-Sep-2007 by Claus »
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline Packman

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 112
  • www.fabbers.com.ua
    • Fabbers Desktop Factories
« Reply #20 on: 15:50 12-Sep-2007 »
Does the PM need to be an elected member of Parliament?

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: 16:42 12-Sep-2007 »
No -there is no demand that the PM is a member of parlament.
In 99,9% of the cases he/she is, but it's not a demand of the constitution.
I think that somewhere above in this string I mentioned that for a period (some 11 months, I think it was), the PM of CZ was not a member of parlament?
Parlamentarism - historically invented by England (pls notice that, Tim! even if they have no written constitution) appeared in 1835, when PM Richard Peel stepped down because a majority in the house of commons turned against his government. His sucessor was Lord Melbourne, a PM without a seat in the house of commons (but I suppose that as a Lord he was a member of the house of lords, and thus a member of parlament - but not elected...? UK guys, am I right about this system as it was then?).
Democracy ain't easy  ::)
« Last Edit: 16:53 12-Sep-2007 by Claus »
j'y suis, j'y reste!