Author Topic: Passport collection from Ukraine  (Read 2317 times)

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
Re: Passport collection from Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: 17:34 30-Nov-2009 »
2 weeks isn't so bad if you are the organised type and no emergencies in Russia occur to demand an immediate presence..

As for "poor advice"........I give it all the time and I am sure I haven't a monopoly on it either.  :D :D :D
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #16 on: 06:57 01-Dec-2009 »
The initial posting to this tread is absurd. There is no legit reason one has to be separated from a passport and need to smuggle it across borders. Most countries don't allow two passports to be issued, so the UK must be an exception when there are compelling and valid reasons two are needed. In the US you can apply for a passport card for land border crossings (Canada and Mexico) in addition to a regular international passport. Otherwise hardly ever issued.
« Last Edit: 07:02 01-Dec-2009 by SilverBullet »
В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #17 on: 09:42 01-Dec-2009 »
The initial posting to this tread is absurd. There is no legit reason one has to be separated from a passport and need to smuggle it across borders. Most countries don't allow two passports to be issued, so the UK must be an exception when there are compelling and valid reasons two are needed. In the US you can apply for a passport card for land border crossings (Canada and Mexico) in addition to a regular international passport. Otherwise hardly ever issued.

I can remember a lot of more absurd posts on Expat, than the one that starts this thread.  Here is a scenario:  Imagine, if you can an expat who actually goes to a foreign country and simply stays until his passport is expiring.  Imagine that he orders a new one, online or by mail, to be sent to his home address in the country where he is a citizen and received his last passport.  He did it this way, because the process of applying for it seemed simpler.  But, by this time his old passport expired.  And then he realizes that he can't get that passport sent on to him in Dubai. 

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #18 on: 10:44 01-Dec-2009 »
There is always the option of an "Emergency Passport" as issued when originals are lost or stolen as you are about to leave country "x" on your jolly's to return to your home nation.

I am sure the Greek and Spanish UK Embassy's will have got this down to a fine art considering the amount of drunken and stupid Brits we manage to export, temporarily, to their shores every year.  :D
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline Aloz

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: 22:04 04-Dec-2009 »
sorry for late reply...

the case is that i had to send my passport to Ukraine for completing the PR procedure..it takes 3 months and i cant stay that long in Ukraine....so my wife's family used to follow up...now with the PR issued and passport stamped i had to get the passport back....i can leave from Dubai without passport as we use the E-gate card ( where you don't pass thru Passport control ) but..i cant enter in Boryspil without passport !!...

Offline Aloz

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #20 on: 22:11 04-Dec-2009 »
just adding to the latest message...FEDEX really didn't say a word when they collected my passport from here heading to Ukraine...but it seems they have new rules ..the same applies for DHL / UPS...

i never thought of having 2 passports ( despite the fact its allowed from where i came ) since this will just put me in unnecessary troubles someday ...

Carlusha

« Reply #21 on: 22:49 04-Dec-2009 »

I can remember a lot of more absurd posts on Expat, than the one that starts this thread.  Here is a scenario:  Imagine, if you can an expat who actually goes to a foreign country and simply stays until his passport is expiring.  Imagine that he orders a new one, online or by mail, to be sent to his home address in the country where he is a citizen and received his last passport.  He did it this way, because the process of applying for it seemed simpler.  But, by this time his old passport expired.  And then he realizes that he can't get that passport sent on to him in Dubai. 

Sorry, missed this post! People do not normally end up in a foreign country with an expired passport. However, when they do, as I said above, UK citizens can renew their passport at the UK Embassy in Kyiv. This didn't seem to achieve any response so I will add that the same applies to US citizens who can go to the US Embassy in Kyiv.

http://kiev.usembassy.gov/amcit_passports_eng.html

and renewal details

http://kiev.usembassy.gov/amcit_pass_renewal_eng.html

I cannot be bothered to check but it is most likely the same service will be offered in Dubai.