Author Topic: Do I need my passport to go from Kyiv to Lviv..?  (Read 2885 times)

stephenh

Hi - if there's anybody out there... If anyone could answer this question for me, I'd be very grateful. I'm in Kyiv to get a Russian visa. I'm going to have to leave my passport at the Russian consulate tomorrow for a few days. I'd like to go by train to Lviv for maybe 2 days while I'm waiting for the visa to be processed. I suspect that, as in Russia, I will officially need my passport to buy a train ticket and to get on the train. Does anyone know if I can in fact travel without my passport? Is a photocopy (Xerox) enough?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me!

Cheers

Offline Old Admin (Retired)

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 115
  • -Receive: 321
    • http://www.expatua.com
Do I need my passport to go from Kyiv to Lviv..?
« Reply #1 on: 19:36 28-Feb-2006 »
Well, there is a special letter from transport ministry that anyone can buy ticket and get on the train with photocopy of the passport. But in fact you can have trouble with that on the cashdesk. So, the best option is - to buy ticket (and return one) with passport and then use photocopy for actual traveling. I have personal experience traveling with photocopy. In the worst scenario - use 10 Hrivnas as provodnik's tip :-).

stephenh

« Reply #2 on: 14:16 01-Mar-2006 »
Sounds like good advice, thanks very much!

petrenko

« Reply #3 on: 15:31 11-Mar-2006 »
I use my ACCA student card (in English) with ease and never bring passport with me. For last three years I never had problems with this.