Author Topic: Who won?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline matlockk

• I used to live here
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 134
Who won?
« on: 12:39 01-Oct-2007 »
I'm on my way back from Barcelona(currently in Vienna) and trying to figure out who won the election. The BBC report only talks about exit polls. When are the official results out?

Offline BrianPBG

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Who won?
« Reply #1 on: 13:02 01-Oct-2007 »
"CEC promises to process 90% of protocols by the end of Monday"

11:41 am kiev -
"CEC has processed 56% of protocols. 6 parties will enter parliament"

"According to the Central Election Committee, 55,74% of protocols of divisional election committees have been processed. ForUm?s correspondent reports. "

"Bloc of Yulia Tymoshenko has 33,26% of votes. The Party of Regions is on the second place, it has 30,75%. ?Our Ukraine ? People?s Self-Defense? Bloc has 15,54% of votes.
Besides, the CPU has 5,09%, the bloc of Lytvyn ? 4,17%, the SPU ? 3,11%. And 2,58 % of voters  didn?t support any political force."
I wasn't left behind, I just rode a slower bus

ecocks

« Reply #2 on: 13:05 01-Oct-2007 »
Since you apparently cannot see the News screen here.  It looks like Tymoshenko and Yushenko can put together a slim majority (52-53%) coalition if they partner with Litvin.  She is about even with Yanukovich.  Otherwise all the others can get together and edge them the other way.  61% of vote is supposedly in.

Ed

Offline matlockk

• I used to live here
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 13:11 01-Oct-2007 »
Have they counted the votes from Donetsk yet? I understand that a couple of million 100 year olds who are registered there could swing it for Yanukovich! ;)

Offline matlockk

• I used to live here
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 13:33 01-Oct-2007 »
Just a thought. With the lovely Yulia in the driving seat does this mean our heating will be switched on later than ever?

Carlusha

« Reply #5 on: 14:00 01-Oct-2007 »
If you're still in the office, you can check progress here -

http://www.cvk.gov.ua/vnd2007/w6p300ept001f01=600.html

Offline Packman

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 112
  • www.fabbers.com.ua
    • Fabbers Desktop Factories
« Reply #6 on: 18:46 01-Oct-2007 »
Just a thought. With the lovely Yulia in the driving seat does this mean our heating will be switched on later than ever?

Probably yes, after Puty Put double the price of natural gas, of course! :o

Offline Ivans

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Queue management systems
« Reply #7 on: 07:55 02-Oct-2007 »
If you're still in the office, you can check progress here -

http://www.cvk.gov.ua/vnd2007/w6p300ept001f01=600.html

Good link, thank you  :)
When in Ukraine DO NOT do as Ukrainians do ;D

Carlusha

« Reply #8 on: 18:08 02-Oct-2007 »
By my calculations, as of 7.40pm 

BYUT + OU       229 seats
PoR + Others    221 seats
Majority              8 Orange

This supposes Lytvyn joins the PoR coalition but if he joins the Oranges, then Oranges would be 249 seats against PoR's 201.

The question is whether the constition allows the coalition with the highest number of seats to form a government or whether it is the party obtaining the highest number of votes and its coalition members. If the latter case, then we would have a minority government. A grey area as usual due mainly to the many ambiguities within the Contitution.

Time will tell.

I found it most satisfying that Moroz fell short of the required 3% votes to remain in Parliament!

« Last Edit: 18:43 02-Oct-2007 by Carlusha »

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
Who lost?
« Reply #9 on: 19:18 02-Oct-2007 »
As for winning, ruling and so forth, that'll probaly be a long painfull issue  ;).
But Carl, I do agree that's it is higly satisfactory that the wind-wane Moroz is out  :P

As for the rest, the constitution here is complicated and unclear, as always. However, parlamentaristic tradition is that the head of state asks the person (not the party, but of course the person is usually heading a party) who is most likely to be able to form a goverment not opposed by a majority in parlament to initiate the negotiations about the creation of a government. If one party holds an absolute majority, then of course it has to be the leader of that party. In all other cases, it utterly depends on the parlament 'constellation' - which we still do not know with 100% certainty here.
So, it's wrong to claim that - according to democratic parlamentaristic principles - the leader of the biggest party should be asked; also it's wrong to say that the leader of the party/block with the biggest progress should be asked.
In a parlament democracy, it's 100% up to the head of state whom should be asked to initiate the negotiations, and he/she is demanded to make this choise only based on the probablility of the appointed person establishing a viable (that means a stable, no more and no less) government.
After the negotiations the head of state must of course appoint that person a PM, who will not have a parlament opposition against her/him.

Hopefully, we'll know before Christmas  ::)
j'y suis, j'y reste!

ecocks

« Reply #10 on: 19:38 02-Oct-2007 »
Well, here's hoping that Tymoshenko, Yushenko and Litsenko (sp?) put it together and this crew gets a chance. 

Maybe Yulia gets a second chance as PM and maybe this time they can stay on track.

We can always hope.

BTW, what do you think Litsenko will want if they do?  Speaker? Defense? Interior (again)?

Ed