Author Topic: sending a package to ukraine  (Read 25851 times)

Offline kline1972

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
sending a package to ukraine
« on: 19:46 11-May-2010 »
Has anyone sent a package to Ukraine. I want to send a handbag as a gift and was wondering if there is a good chance it will arrive safely? If so what is the best method of shipping and also dealing with customs.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
Re: sending a package to ukraine
« Reply #1 on: 20:01 11-May-2010 »
Google MEEST

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline kline1972

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 20:09 11-May-2010 »
clanholmes they say right now they are not offering express service. I was thinking to use regular U.S.P.S. but I am afraid the package will never arrive.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #3 on: 20:24 11-May-2010 »
I find that DHL is more European oriented thus less hiccups that Fedex.
Other thing is check similar forums and see if an fellow American is going over and is willing to do a buddy a favour.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline kline1972

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 20:32 11-May-2010 »
Clan do you know anything about the customs fees for sending something valued at say 100 dollars? I know I could bring it into ukraine at the airport no problem, but to ship it I can't really find any info on this.

Offline Never2old4that

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #5 on: 21:36 11-May-2010 »
I have used both DHL and UPS.

DHL did the job 100%

UPS failed 100% (3 months later I got the package back. Opened of course. It only contained a book and a football shirt !!) 

Offline kline1972

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 22:08 11-May-2010 »
and what about customs?

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #7 on: 23:47 11-May-2010 »
I have tested out different shipping solutions from the US to Kyiv. Here are the results:

1)  FedEx. Expensive and get's stuck in Ukrainian customs.
Paid about $100 to ship a large envelope. Local FedEx representiative did not deliver the package to the residential address in Kyiv. Recipient had to go to the customs office to get the package. FedEx Service Center in the USA admits they don't have a good local representative in Kyiv.  

2)  UPS. Expensive but ok delivery.  
Paid about $100 to ship a small envelope with documents. Local UPS representative delivered on the door as expected in a timely fashion. However when calling up the recipient to arrange for delivery, UPS driver offered to just leave it outside the door despite that signature was required for the delivery. Recipient declined this option and delivery was made in a correct manner.

3)  US Postal Service Global Express Delivery - The Best!
Shipped same size envelope with documents. Cost $29 and delivery time only 2 days longer than UPS. Local neighborhood post office in Kyiv did an excellent job! They called up the recipient to arrange for delivery and the postal worker did a thourough job checking the recipient's identification. (Nor FedEx or UPS did so). The recipient was impressed how professional Ukrainian postal service was handling the Global Express Delivery from the US.

Conclusion, I will only use the US Postal Service Global Express Delivery or Registered Mail when shipping to Kyiv. It will also save me money as well.

A piece of advice. Instead of spending a lot of money shipping gifts to the lady. Send her money instead and she can buy the handbag she really wants. The selection in Kyiv is excellent. She will have no problem finding a nice handbag on Kretchatyk  ;D

Send her a PayPal card in her name and fund it via your checking or credit card account and she will get her money via the local ATM or Bankomat as they say locally. Cost only $1 per transaction and the USD/Hryvnia exchange rate is good. I even gave my Miss 2 cards so she has a backup in case something happens to the first card. I guess I must be a good PayPal customer since I am being kept busy funding it all the time  :o ::) But who's complaining, I am not  ;D  

« Last Edit: 23:53 11-May-2010 by SilverBullet »
В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Offline kline1972

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 00:07 12-May-2010 »
yeah she has the paypal card-- good idea but we were thinking bags in the usa were much cheaper than in odessa-- but she could probably get a pretty good one for like 400usd in odessa, but i know the prices are much more in Ukraine.

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #9 on: 06:33 12-May-2010 »
yeah she has the paypal card-- good idea but we were thinking bags in the usa were much cheaper than in odessa-- but she could probably get a pretty good one for like 400usd in odessa, but i know the prices are much more in Ukraine.
Seriously.............a handbag in the U.S. for less than $400 would not exactly be what American women would be craving for....  :o Why should Ukrainians settle for less  ???. To put it in perspective, a handbag would have cost you more if you were dating a lady in Moscow. A friend in Kyiv is engaged to a Russian banker in Moscow. She got a Dior handbag costing $1,200.

Shipping a handbag on sale at WalMart for $99 and paying the same in shipping is not what I would have done. In Odessa handbags cost less if you make a trip to the big market not far from the airport. People come from all over Ukraine to shop there and prices are less than in Deribaskoya.  :) I trust the Odessa beauty know where to find the bargains if you leave the shopping to her. After all, most men me inclusive are not exactly handbag experts...  ;D Just my 2 cents.

Shipping to Ukraine is expensive from the US. Together with Russia, among the most expensive countries to ship to if you take a look at the UPS price list. I fill up two oversized suitcases and carry them through customs at Borispol whenever I can. Customs there have never given me any problems. Only problem I have experienced in the past is with the Odessa customs but that is another story.  
« Last Edit: 06:45 12-May-2010 by SilverBullet »
В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Carlusha

« Reply #10 on: 10:02 12-May-2010 »

They are cheaper in US than the centre of Odessa. I fail to understand why people believe paying 3 or 4 times more for the same thing (or worse) that can be bought outside the centre. My wife's daughter is no different and sticks to the city centre.

You can get quality leather bags, very well made in 7km market but some people consider it beneath them to shop there. A shame really.

I have to agree with SB - use the Postal Service, registered, signed for delivery. Works every time for us when sending items from UK to UA. In our case, the UA postal service delivers a docket to your home advising you to collect the item from the main post office and that you need to bring identification. So far, no losses.
« Last Edit: 13:49 12-May-2010 by >>Carl<< »

Offline kline1972

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 10:39 12-May-2010 »
SB  i don't know. I know many girls who like Coach bags and they have many from 300-500

Offline timinua

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 466
  • -Receive: 605
« Reply #12 on: 10:44 12-May-2010 »
Here is my mathematical formula for figuring out the value of a designer handbag in Ukraine:

PSB + HMDL + G =value of bag

where,

PSB= Piece of Sh*t Bag
HMDL= Home Made Designer Label
G= Glue
Irritating Ukrainian Shopkeepers By Not Having The Correct Change, Since 1999...

Offline richok

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #13 on: 14:43 12-May-2010 »
I have sent and have had sent many packages to Ukraine, probably 15 total. All arrived safely and on time. I always chose the cheapest option, which is usually First Class International for small and lightweight packages, and Priority International for those about the First Class weight limit. Typically packages take 7 or 8 days to arrive in Kiev. Very reliable in my experience.

I have never used FedEx, UPS, etc.
Строгость наших законов компенсируется необязательностью их исполнения.

Bocodillo

« Reply #14 on: 05:51 15-May-2010 »
Gentleman, you are far too knowledgeable about handbags.
 ;)