Author Topic: A Diplomatic Russian Leak  (Read 1321 times)

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
A Diplomatic Russian Leak
« on: 13:07 12-May-2010 »
Sorry folks but it is far to long to fit here as it exceeds the character maximum, so over on my blog there is an extremely long document in Russian, supposedly written by Lavrov to KBM's brown tonguer  detailing Russian foreign policy for the next decade.....almost by nation.

www.odessablog.wordpress.com

I have to say, if it is a fake, then an incredible amount of work has been put into it and the author would seem to be very well informed in current affairs and future opportunities.

(Sorry Admin I would have put it here but it is simply too long.  Of course if it is genuine Admin, I will save you the rath of the Kremlin as it is on my blog and nothing to do with you directly.  ;D).

Strategic plans for nations like the USA, Germany, France, Ukraine, Italy etc etc are all detailed if you can read Russian.

(I did translate the bit about Ukraine on my blog.......but for other nations you'll have to do it yourself  :D)
« Last Edit: 13:34 12-May-2010 by P-N »

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
Re: A Diplomatic Russian Leak
« Reply #1 on: 14:22 12-May-2010 »
So - assuming it is not fake - who leaked it, and why?
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #2 on: 14:57 12-May-2010 »
I don't know why and of course won't say how it came to me......but guarnateed to be all over the Internet very fast as some newspapers in Moldova, Aserbaijan and Armenia regularly pingback to my blog.  ;D

Did you read it Claus?

It seems quite plausible in content and plans to me and would certainly be worthy of consideration if I was Russian.

Of course, any leaked document from the UK along these lines would be how to influence the Isle of Wight.  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: 15:29 12-May-2010 by P-N »
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #3 on: 16:02 12-May-2010 »
OK Claus, I have just had an email from a diplomat who says (sorry I have to put in some editing with *****).......

"Dear Nick

Thanks. Obviously ?leaked? deliberately. This the piece which mentions everyone but UK? If so is that good or bad? I?ll answer when I get a moment.

***** (Missing)

I like W Hague, by the way. I have met him a couple of times privately. He has a steadiness and directness which comes as a vast relief after the pomo brainy elitism of DM

C**********"

So I think it fair to say this document is being considered "genuine" by the diplomats and politicians.

Now the question is why was it leaked?
« Last Edit: 16:10 12-May-2010 by P-N »

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #4 on: 16:47 12-May-2010 »
If the part translated to English, about Ukraine, is representative, it is then mostly about business and commerce with Ukraine and only about military relationships where you can see what the purpose is behind the obvious intent to maximize business opportunities for Russia. 
  So in the Russian view, the purpose of the Odessa-Brody pipeline reversal was to prevent Ukraine from getting resources first, and what it contributes to Russia in terms of legitimate transport of oil, is at best a secondary concern.
   The other important matter seemed to be that apparently Russian businesses will be purchasing or otherwise gaining control of Ukrainian enterprises as a matter of Russian policy, and not independent business decisions.

Carlusha

« Reply #5 on: 16:58 12-May-2010 »
It took us a while to read it. Irina reckons the letter is very well written and seems genuine. One would have expected a fake to have a few speelung mishtaykes.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #6 on: 17:05 12-May-2010 »
There is almost nothing military in it David.  The overriding policy seems to be based on an economic and business empire by way of buy outs, partnerships, joint ventures and long term contracts.  There is nothing really concerning in the plans they have for dealing with NATO either.

To list (and translate) a few nations at random from this document...............

Canada

- Activate the Canada-Russia Intergovernmental Economic Commission and bilateral business council.

- To promote industrial cooperation and investment cooperation, facilitate the acquisition of assets and exchange of technology in industries such as mining, timber processing, machinery and aircraft, high technology, agriculture and agricultural machinery, the establishment of transcontinental air and sea transport routes in the northern latitudes, using the capabilities of inter- interaction.

- Continue work on improving the legal framework of Russian-Canadian relations on cooperation in peaceful uses of atomic energy, cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes, on technical and scientific cooperation.

India

- The further development of Russian-Indian strategic partnership as the basis for increasing bilateral cooperation in trade, economic and scientific-technical spheres.

- In order to further strengthen Russia's position in the Indian market weapons to the military-technical cooperation with India on the basis of specialized long-term program to support the activities of the Russian-Indian intergovernmental commission on military-technical cooperation and to ensure full and timely implementation of its decisions.

- Increase in the volume of bilateral trade share of Russian exports of machinery and equipment and other goods with high added value.

- Continue to strengthen business partnerships in the energy sector to have a coherent and promising projects, focusing on joint projects in oil and gas and electricity, especially in hydropower, implemented in Russia, India and third countries to enhance cooperation in peaceful uses of atomic energy, including the construction of plant in India.

- Extend the Russian presence in such important sectors of the economy of India as transport infrastructure, aviation, telecommunications, metallurgy, mechanical engineering, to develop cooperation in the medical, biotechnology and food processing, telemedicine, in the field of nanotechnology and other high-tech industries, promoting on a priority basis, projects with high technical readiness.

- Continue to implement significant for the Russian side of large joint projects, such as a joint venture to produce titanium dioxide and other titanium products, development and manufacture of multipurpose transport aircraft.

- Continue technical and scientific cooperation with India in fundamental and applied problems, primarily based on the Integrated Long Term Program NTS; stimulate exports to the country of Russian high technology, knowledge-intensive goods and services to support the establishment and operation of joint research centers.

- To develop the Russian-Indian cooperation in information and communication technology and mass communications, enhance cooperation in the peaceful exploration of space, including in the areas of manned space programs, exploration of the solar system, as well as joint development, operation and use of the GLONASS system.

Iran

- Use the existing potential for cooperation with Iran on a wide range of issues of regional security, combating international terrorism and drug trafficking, and economic cooperation.

- Continue to increase bilateral trade, expand the scope of trade and economic cooperation, to develop a "road map" for cooperation in the energy field, including cooperation with Iran in the framework of the Forum of Gas Exporting Countries.

- Continue to work in the field of peaceful uses of nuclear energy in relation to the achievement of political and diplomatic settlement of the situation around the Iranian nuclear program.

- Improve the contractual basis, in particular, to sign the agreement on encouragement and mutual protection of investments.

USA

- Make greater use of an extensive system of channels of trade and economic cooperation with the United States to the goals of Russia's domestic development, inward investment, increasing the volume and "beautification" of the trade structure, the solution of current social problems, build quality innovative ties, the useful experience of public and business management. Particular attention is preferably given to harnessing the potential of bilateral cooperation for the modernization of Russian industry using advanced technology and management systems, as well as deeper integration of the Russian economy into world economic processes, including our participation in the "administering" of multilateral superstructure.

- Push for early ratification by Congress of Russian-American agreement on cooperation in peaceful uses of atomic energy, signed in May 2008 (withdrawn from the Congress, the Bush administration after the Caucasus crisis in August 2008). Entry into force of this Agreement will provide local companies access to U.S. nuclear energy technology, nuclear materials (even if not owned by the U.S., but in their territory) as well as materials and equipment of U.S. origin in third countries.

- Seek the abolition of unilateral U.S. sanctions imposed against Russian companies in connection with their legal military-technical cooperation with Iran, Syria and several other countries of the American "black list".

- Work towards enhancing bilateral trade and investment relations through the removal of retained by the U.S. artificial barriers and constraints - in particular, to provide Russia MFN on a permanent and unconditional basis, cancellation of agreements on voluntary export limits and anti-dumping duties on Russian products, policy review Discrimination Russia in matters of export control.

Choose any nation or organisation of note and there is a plan in this document.

I am not sure why this has been leaked now I am assured of its authenticity.
« Last Edit: 17:17 12-May-2010 by P-N »

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #7 on: 17:39 12-May-2010 »
The language relating to the U.S. seems rather thick and, well, abstract, compared to the rest of the document.  Perhaps, because it was translated by a different person? I am struggling to decide whether they were euphemistically discussing industrial espionage, or getting foreigners to invest billions in their oil industry, again, so they can steal the investments, again. 

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #8 on: 18:00 12-May-2010 »
All the translations are by me.....so may not be entirely accurate or in context.  The more educated amongst the Russian readers will probably do a better job in all honesty.

I am not even sure that the greater reasoning behind this is to do with investment, although undoutedly everything written in it makes sound strategic sense for Russia.

I am wondering if this "leak" is to make Russia look (seemingly) less aggressive as of course it has not come by way of the usual "announcements" or pomp of individual formal "signings" which all appear to be "ad hoc".

As the diplomat above says in the email, it is genuine and definitely leaked deliberately.  Such announcements on foreign policy could quite easily have just been communicated directly from the Kremlin without a "leak".......but then the Russiaphobes would have been looking for the "hidden agenda" as Russia is not normally as open on such a large scale.

Is the leak simply a way of the Kremlin trying to soften its international image with this document which really says nothing that would not be thought out by strategists internationally......eventually.......anyway.

A case of, "it did not come through formal channels, but now you know, as you can see we aren't that bad"

Are we about to see a massive international PR exercise on behalf of Russia of which this is just the start?

I see no other real reason for the "leak" over formal channels.

« Last Edit: 18:32 12-May-2010 by P-N »