Author Topic: Should Ukraine join the E.U?  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Lt. Campers

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 216
  • -Receive: 571
  • On patrol
Re: Should Ukraine join the E.U? - its poor driving record
« Reply #15 on: 08:46 28-Jan-2008 »
With most expats disgusted by the poor standard of driving in Ukraine which is born from the
ineptitude of certain officials to provide 'over the counter driving licenses' for financial gain.
We have found yet another barrier to Ukraines entry into the EU.
No EU government 'in their right mind' is going to give Ukrainians freedom of the road without
checking out their driving record first. Perhaps insurance companies are already aware of
the fact, which will make it far harder for Ukrainians to obtain insurance cover in the EU.
The first in the field and the last from the Taverna.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
Re: Should Ukraine join the E.U?
« Reply #16 on: 10:10 28-Jan-2008 »
For the EU it is important ukraine joins. With the most fertile land in europe it could swiftly become a major agricultural bread basket for europe. As long as the poor farmers are allowed to lease and not sell their land to major eu producers all should be happy. If they sell their land i fear the poor ukraine farmer will remaine poor and be conned out of market prices. Also there is the strategic location of ukraine which is obvious. If ukraine joins the WTO in february as thought they could block russia entry on the grounds of unfair gas trade which will not sit well in the kremlin. They will need a big brother and better the EU than NATO in my opinion.
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

JonathanCampion

Should Ukraine join the E.U?
« Reply #17 on: 15:12 28-Jan-2008 »
Have just found this article - if Ukraine ever adopts a European work ethic I may have to do some work instead of reading BBC news all day!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7212672.stm

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #18 on: 17:07 28-Jan-2008 »
I dont think ukraine can teach brussels anything about a black economy or corruption. The eu has not signed off its own accounts for the last 13 years ;)
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

phasar

« Reply #19 on: 18:57 02-Feb-2008 »
My answer would have to be NO!

I worked in Bulgaria and saw what happened there after they joined the EU

Salaries remained the same.
The cost of goods increased 200% and more in 1 year (especially foodstuffs)
Property values skyrocketed, fueled by Brits looking for cheap summer homes.
All the factories either closed completely or moved to other countries.
Unemployment is rampant, some of the hardest hit areas were Plovdiv and the surrounding towns.
Now that they all have EU passports all the skilled workforce has left the country.
Talk to any student and they all say the same, once they graduate they're GONE!
98% of students leave upon graduation.

Just what the Ukraine needs!  >:(

Offline BritKyiv

• Still own property in Ukraine
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 415
« Reply #20 on: 17:42 09-Feb-2008 »
Are there any really brave people out there?
We are trying to find people who are prepared to debate in front of an audience and explain why they think Ukraine should NOT join the EU.  You you want to be one of those people on Thursday 28 February in Kyiv, please step forward. (Free drinks and food are the only rewards)

Volunteers?
I escaped. Now in Sunny Cyprus

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
Brave - what's the issue?
« Reply #21 on: 17:59 09-Feb-2008 »
Any- and everybody with a valid point of view must stand up for it, or admit that her/his point of view is not valid - right  ::)?
Well, seriously - perhaps it does demand courage to stand up for an opinion (almost) everybody else will oppose  :P
Personally, I fear no audience and would relish in the challenge - but I don't qualify! I can't help you with this; I'm 100% against the EU for my country, Denmark, and 100% for the EU for Ukraine.
But please inform about the arrangement - some of us here might like to be guests/onlookers  :D
j'y suis, j'y reste!

ecocks

« Reply #22 on: 19:55 09-Feb-2008 »
LOL - I'm not so much against the EU (or Ukraine joining it) as I am in favor of an alternate market force on the world stage.  If the Kremlin-based midget had taken advantage of the energy windfall created by the Middle East situation and established a firm Russian Union (or whatever you wish to call it) then the world might have enjoyed a stronger global market structure.  Instead they let the robber barons have their way and when the global oil/energy market dips we will see an extremely large world sinkhole as the country/region unravels.

Anyway, for now there appears little alternative to the Ukraine joining the EU as a means of mid-term political/economic stability and eventual prosperity.  Market forces will assert themselves at some point and maybe South America or even the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere will revitalize itself to better balance the world economy.   :-\

Offline BritKyiv

• Still own property in Ukraine
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 415
« Reply #23 on: 17:40 10-Feb-2008 »
Wow Ed,

You are sounding more like a US diplomatic everyday. Keep taking those pills.
I escaped. Now in Sunny Cyprus

ecocks

Re: US Diplomatic Views
« Reply #24 on: 18:58 10-Feb-2008 »
The views expressed herein are solely those of the author and have no bearing on the policy or position of the United States position concerning Kyiv.  ;)

Hardly drug-induced, just sound economics and business strategy.

Actually, I think the US government is supporting the EU membership.  Still seems sad that the region faces a few more years of disarray when it could have been done so much more elegantly.  Ah well.

Maybe a follow-on topic could be, "Just how much larger can the EU get before it cracks from the strain?"

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
« Reply #25 on: 20:37 10-Feb-2008 »
"Just how much larger can the EU get before it cracks from the strain?"

About that I also wonder - in the USA case it has so far been 49 continental states, and Hawai (right?). And if I remember my history, there were some tiny cracks in the fabric way back in 1861 which it took a few years to mend... ;)

Well, as a European I'm worried about Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia - and terrified about Turkey - but do think that Ukraine should join (even if that means that we'll probably have to emigrate once again - tiresome!)
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #26 on: 13:54 11-Feb-2008 »
"Just how much larger can the EU get before it cracks from the strain?"

About that I also wonder - in the USA case it has so far been 49 continental states, and Hawai (right?). And if I remember my history, there were some tiny cracks in the fabric way back in 1861 which it took a few years to mend... ;)

Well, as a European I'm worried about Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia - and terrified about Turkey - but do think that Ukraine should join (even if that means that we'll probably have to emigrate once again - tiresome!)

I really do not think Turkey will ever get in the EU.  Germany does not want it in and as one of the largest contributors to EU funding they will probably be able to put Turkey off indefiantely.  Why don't they want them in.......because outside of Turkey, Germany has the largest population of Turks and a "right wing" which is gathering support again.  Also, to be fair is it really in Europe or is it African or Middle East geographically.

To be fair to Turkey however, they at least banned and enforced the wearing of the vails for the women in schools, colleges and universities, something which the UK tried and failed.  Can't remember if France succeeded or not...something tells me they succedded!  I personally would not class Turkey as a Muslim extreamest state, unlike many of their neighbours, and are indeed trying to look and appear as European as they possibly can in many ways..... business, fashion, construction etc. etc. They are constantly trying to ascend to the ever higher hurdles they are set for EU membership.....maybe someone should just tell them the truth - they won't get in  :o

I belive that the EU can only take a few more nations before it implodes and those will probably be Georgia, Ukraine, Moldova and possibly Belarussia if any or all want to join.  Maybe they would all do better with a special agreement like the Swiss and certain other Scandinavian countries.......I guess only time will tell  :-\

ecocks

« Reply #27 on: 14:37 11-Feb-2008 »
Germany?  How about Greek opposition? Did they change their position on Turkey's membership?

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #28 on: 14:39 11-Feb-2008 »
LOL - good point - I bow to your knowledgable comment !!!! :)

So why does somebody simply say not a chance?  :-\