Author Topic: Why Ukraine? How did we first come to be here?  (Read 20292 times)

Offline dazure

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 20
Well, okay that's more than one question. Oh alright then I'll go first since I brought it up!

In May 2005 in New Zealand, after surviving a somewhat scaring relationship with a local woman in my little home town and being the quiet chap that I was/am, I decided to go on the internet in order to find a girlfriend from a wider gene pool.

I met and dated a couple of nice ladies and before writing to a woman, 47 years old whose address was given as Auckland, 240 kilometers away.
After a couple of letters I wrote and asked her that if I came up to Auckland could we meet? Where upon she replied saying that she actually lived a little further away, in Odessa, Ukraine and now knowing this did I want to continue our communication?

A quick perusal of the map located Odessa 17,000 kilometers away. Yeah, well why not.
December 2005 I came to Odessa to meet her. We got on well. We have since parted but I finally found a place where I wanted to live.
« Last Edit: 15:02 19-Sep-2010 by dazure »

Carlusha

Re: Why Ukraine? How did we first come to be here?
« Reply #1 on: 16:33 19-Sep-2010 »
I bumped into a group of foreign students and their teachers on their trip to London in 1996. It was lunch time, a gloriously sunny day and I was having my usual walk along the side of the River Thames. The students were taking snaps of the Houses of Parliament. I told one of the teachers that the children could obtain better snaps if they stood outside St Thomas' Hospital further up the embankment.

I walked with them, thinking they were Greek and a little surprised at how well this teacher spoke English. Eventually, she explained they were Ukrainians. Like most people at that time, I immediately thought ........ RUSSIA. We exchanged addresses and began corresponding, snail mail for a couple of years as pen friends.

In 1998, she invited me over to see Odessa and to visit her school. Great trip, loved it all. Best holiday of my life. Upon returning to UK, I realised I had been touched by a very special lady. I was smitten by both her AND Odessa. By this time, as the school had been given computers, we were able to continue corresponding by email. A virtual proposal to become my wife was accepted.

I used ALL of my next year's holiday to visit again, during which time we obtained a fiance visa. I whipped her off to Blighty and we married 2 months later.

My family adore her. My children love her to bits. All our family friends said she is the right lady (General aka The Boss) for me.

Well, folks, it will be 11 years this coming November.
« Last Edit: 09:44 24-Sep-2010 by >>Carl<< »

Offline stephane

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: 01:06 24-Sep-2010 »
Ok, I need to break the "100% of the posters came to Ukraine because of a woman" that we have now 8)
I actually stayed in Ukraine mostly because of a guy (and no, I'm definitely not gay).

I first came for a one week holiday, met a guy in a pub one night and we became fast friends, started to tour the clubs together, and I liked Ukraine and the Ukrainian's warm welcome so much that I decided to extend my stay for an unknown duration (that was 5 years ago).

I eventually invited an ex-grilfriend (american) to come here, and she ended up dating my Ukrainian friend.
And I now live with a Russian girl that I met in China, and who came in Ukraine for the first time with me.
So yes, some of us actually think there are not enough girls in Ukraine and we need to "import" more...  ::)

Bocodillo

« Reply #3 on: 08:49 24-Sep-2010 »
Before I moved here, I worked in several different countries. A year here, two years there.
I came here a few years ago for work and just haven't got off my a**e to leave yet...sure I'll get round to it one of these days.

Offline JTF

• Site Admin
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 120
  • -Receive: 170
  • Have no fear!
« Reply #4 on: 14:05 24-Sep-2010 »
I came here 8 years ago as a student (will be 8 yrs on NOV7) Lived in Odessa for a year,studied russian, then said bye to my school mates(2 of  them)as they continued studying to become Mariners.. i left for Kiev to become an Engineer. Finished my masters in comp.sys.&networks and came back, to continue the startup with my friends, with an IM-1 to continue what i'm good in..Selling Technologies :) and won't be leaving until i have my share of money that can be made here :)

Що Що!!?

Carlusha

« Reply #5 on: 14:45 24-Sep-2010 »

And I now live with a Russian girl that I met in China, and who came in Ukraine for the first time with me.

Oooooops!  :o :o :o  I take it, Stephane, either English is not your mother tongue or you have other typically desirable French attributes (which we won't go into on the forum)!   :o :o

If the former, you should be saying "came TO".

Sorry, as a Moderator, I have to read literally everything since Mod2 is currently on vacation!  :)

Offline Gramonion

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 205
« Reply #6 on: 22:37 25-Sep-2010 »
Ok, I have to hold my hands up and say I came to Ukraine because of a women too!

Having recently celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary I am now in the process of applying for PR.

I met my beloved wife while browsing people who were on-line in Skype. That was back in 2007.
I got chatting to a lovely woman called Tanya, whom I found I had a lot of common interests with.
We began chatting almost every night, and progressed from usual chat to sending pictures and then using webcam.
Eventually I visited Odessa to meet Tanya in real life. We spent a wonderful week meeting up and touring the city.
That week confirmed what I already knew, which was that Tanya was the woman for me!! After a few more visits I sold my house in England and came to live with Tanya in Odessa.

So now I am just waiting for my PR, which I will tell you about in another thread once I have enough info!
I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well!

Offline International

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #7 on: 23:44 02-Oct-2010 »
I left home when I was 13 - Spent a year in England, 2 in Russia, 1 in Israel and another 19 or so countries in between.

I came to Ukraine last year, But left after a few weeks - came again this year (was hired by an American Firm to do a quick job here) & decided to stay for the year.

My goal is to learn Ukrainian - once I speak it fluently i plan to move on to Mongolia or India.

I'm Male, 24, US Citizen & I now live in Uman.
« Last Edit: 14:26 03-Oct-2010 by International »

Offline hellcheese

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #8 on: 17:45 07-Oct-2010 »
I've been here just over two years. Originally from New Zealand.

I came here for a short-term work project. I met a ms. and decided to move here from Italy, with whom I've since parted company. But have decided to stay anyway. It's a nice place to be. Living in Kiev.

Offline liquidtexas

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: 03:53 04-Nov-2010 »
I first arrived in Kyiv in 2005. Lived here for 2 months. I returned 11 times.  In the interim, I traveled to Belarus and Russia. Kayaked the Mzymta River near Sochi and the Onot River in the Sayan Mountains.  Last year (2009), I was supposed to kayak Bilyi Cheremosh and Chornyi Cheremosh, but I broke 8 ribs and tore my rotator cuff.  My kayaking career is probably over, but I am going to do those rivers one day.
In May, 2010, I moved here. In June, I went back to Texas to get the dog and the cat. Why am I here now?  I feel comfortable here. I have been to 41 countries.  This city captures you.  As a photojournalist, I could be anywhere ...
I did not move here, because of a girl. I moved here, because I wanted to be here.

Offline KPIC

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 166
  • -Receive: 112
  • I'm in Ukraine!!
« Reply #10 on: 08:44 23-Feb-2011 »
I met my wife, Viktoriya, in Greece spring of 2008. I visited Kyiv, and crimea the following summer and moved permanently in jan 2009.

Strange as it is, we can live a much fuller life than we could back in Indiana. I have business opportunities here, that I would never have back home.

I came here to start a new life, and it has gone well. I love the grittiness of Ukraine. I live a normal Ukrainian lifestyle- riding the marshrutkas, trams, trolleys, and metro everyday and through teaching I get to know a large number of interesting people, that I would have never met if I hadn't moved here. American culture is very superficial and people are much deeper thinkers here, in general. There is still a deficit in understanding of aesthetics but it's improving.
It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water.  ~Franklin P. Jones

Offline Travel Writer

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 178
  • -Receive: 94
    • STORIES, ARTICLES AND PHOTOGRAPHS FROM UKRAINE
« Reply #11 on: 11:19 04-Apr-2011 »
I studied in Russia in 2005, met a Ukrainian girl there and she invited me to her house for New Year. We stopped off in Kyiv on the way, and there I fell in love with the girl, and the city soon after.

After I graduated I wanted to move back to the Russian-speaking world. I thought about working in Kazan, but Kyiv was the one city that suited both me and my then girlfriend.

Now, after 4 years together, we are married and happy-ish in London! 

Offline Tis_me

• Living life to the min...
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 119
  • -Receive: 138
  • Look not at where you fell...
« Reply #12 on: 11:35 04-Apr-2011 »
My ending up being here was somewhat a mistake... I booked a flight back from The Canary islands and on the drop box of the airline company i was booking with, i must have accidentally clicked 'Ukraine' instead of 'United Kingdom'.... easy mistake to make to be honest... I realised what i had done as soon as i had landed but decided to stay for a week or so anyway, Well, here i am still, three years later and planning to marry the love of my life later this summer...

*Obviously i made that first bit up... i mean you don't seriously think that it's possible do you?!*
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Offline EnglishMKyiv

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 284
« Reply #13 on: 13:08 04-Apr-2011 »
I came here to work in a Ukrainian bank back in 2008.... how boring is that.

The first bank went bust and so I found another one brave enough to employ me.

I must admit I was more interested in the possibilities for Ukraine's economy after joining the WTO ... and I still am.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #14 on: 13:41 04-Apr-2011 »
I met she that must be obeyed in Moscow when I was in Russia on a job.

I naturally assumed she was Russian....well you do when she had a nice apartment in a nice part of the city and has a Russian passport.....everything tends to imply she was.

After a couple of years living together there, it became apparent even to an ignoramus like me, that it was slightly strange that all of her family lived in Odessa.  The fact that this was not only quite a long way away but also a different country did not escape me.

When I asked the obvious question, what do you fancy doing tonight hun? why are all your family living in Ukraine?  She produced a passport I had never seen before.....from Ukraine.  (We won't go into the how's and why's....suffice to say she still holds both.)

Anyone who has lived in Moscow for any length of time will recognise the completely different pace and way of life compared to Odessa.  

Having only been in Moscow for a few years myself, I was still enjoying the city and all it has to offer, however she by this time had been there 12 years and had developed a yearning to return to Odessa.  

The subject of returning permanently arose one day when the M-I-L was visiting on one of those short two month visits.  ::)  A decision to permanently move back to Odessa was taken within 5 minutes despite the fact I had never been there in my life and the obvious disadvantages of the M-I-L being a permanent rather than occasional feature.  ;D

Thus I am here because the good lady wanted to return to her home city and no other reason.  

I wish there was a more interesting or noble reason for choosing to live in Odessa other than she that must be obeyed wanted to.....but there isn't!

« Last Edit: 13:46 04-Apr-2011 by P-N »
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me