Author Topic: Why Ukraine? How did we first come to be here?  (Read 20291 times)

Offline Tis_me

• Living life to the min...
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 119
  • -Receive: 138
  • Look not at where you fell...
Re: Why Ukraine? How did we first come to be here?
« Reply #15 on: 14:56 04-Apr-2011 »
Whilst this thread is revived i will give a sensible reasoned post!

I stayed in contact with an old ex's father from some years ago. For the purpose of the story i shall refer to him here on in as 'M'...
He had, (through a completely different set of circumstances and far too long a story to explain!), spent a few years living here, in a town near Dnepropetrovsk. He was back in the UK, but had a daughter out here and so visited whenever he could.
I had long wanted to travel to Ukraine. A good friend of mine had been one of the lucky few who had done the online marriage agency thing and successfully come out of it with a wife - Belarusian to be precise, simply a lovely woman who saved him from his impending mid-life crisis! My belief was that i could find what i was looking for far easier from an Eastern block country and so the desire was born.

I was single at the time three years ago and had the chance to travel from England with 'M', to the town and meet his circle of friends. An easy decision and a month later here i was. I loved the place instantly and having a ready made group of guys that i could talk to and were there to help me get by, i found myself making new friends easily. Most of the guys 'M' knew were more my age or younger and so suited my clubbing desires etc!
I stayed for a couple of weeks, having shashlik in the forest, going swimming in the river and getting hammered on a daily/nightly basis. Everyone was very warm and friendly towards me and i found myself not wanting to leave.
I came back a month later and spent a little longer this time before returning to UK for the winter.
Early the next year i found myself with no commitments to keep me in the UK any longer and so made arrangements again to visit in the early Spring. I kept an open mind as to how long i would stay, but once here, i never looked back.
Fate brought me and my fiancee together a little later in the year and all i can say is after years of looking for the right one in blighty, with many heartache stories to be told, i can honestly say it was worth all the strife!
I wish i had come to Ukraine many years earlier to be honest! I don't miss England at all... well maybe the roads and pavements... errrrrrrr and the streetlights.... oh and the drainage...... ummmmm and the electricity staying on literally all the time..... and the same with the water.................... ;)
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Offline sasha0

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: 14:15 17-Apr-2011 »
delete
« Last Edit: 18:56 03-Nov-2012 by sasha0 »

Offline mizugami7523

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #17 on: 08:23 06-May-2011 »
Because of woman.
Money isn't everything......lack of money is everything

Offline Euros

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #18 on: 09:36 02-Jun-2011 »
I came because I needed to win a 20 bet to visit every country in Europe.

I arrived in Kiev in 2005 from Minsk and left via Lviv. I liked the place, but it didn't win me over at the time - I didn't understand the place and it was far less mysterious than Belarus.

However, after conquering the whole continent (in an entirely peaceful way) and after collecting my 20 GBP winnings, I spent a year in Slovenia (possibly my favourite country in Europe) and a year studying European politics in Hungary.  For reasons which I still can't fully explain, I decided to focus my research on EU Visa policy in Ukraine and decided it was fairer to study this in Ukraine rather than Oxford.

So, I came here, studied much less than I should have and I learnt to love the place.

Personally, I'm not overly impressed by the girls here, sorry guys. I mean I love them but no more or less than the girls I know elsewhere.
« Last Edit: 09:39 02-Jun-2011 by Euros »
Peace, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of fighting.

Offline Siggi

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: 13:42 18-Jul-2011 »
I came to Ukraine because of the low taxes ... and because my wife is Ukrainian and she did not like Germany. After living 3 years together in Germany we went to Ukraine in 2004.

I don't know whether we will stay in Ukraine forever. We don't like the winter and for that period of time we are searching for a warmer place. Crimea is too cold in winter and without tourists Schelkino (the place where we spend the summer) looks almost deserted.

« Last Edit: 08:22 05-Oct-2011 by Siggi »

Offline misterb

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 313
  • -Receive: 346
« Reply #20 on: 15:16 18-Jul-2011 »
I came to Ukraine because of the low taxes ... and because my wife is Ukrainian and she did not like Germany. After living 3 years together in Germany we went to Ukraine in 2004.

I don't know whether we will stay in Ukraine forever. We don't like the winter and for that time we are searching for a warm place. Crimea is too cold in winter and without tourists Schelkino (the place where we spend the summer) looks almost deserted.

Coming from one of the coldest countries on Earth in Winter, I would have to say Crimea is not cold at all. Spoiled spoiled spoiled I say! Egypt and Tunisia (among others) are a stones throw away, and have reasonable real estate markets. Winter home? Voila.
« Last Edit: 15:29 18-Jul-2011 by misterb »

Offline Travel Writer

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 178
  • -Receive: 94
    • STORIES, ARTICLES AND PHOTOGRAPHS FROM UKRAINE
« Reply #21 on: 15:30 18-Jul-2011 »
It's interesting that among the most attractive and hot countries are places that pose no visa problems for Ukrainians. But if you want 4 distinct and good seasons, Ukraine is as good a place as any to live: maybe Kyiv in the spring and autumn, Crimea in summer and the Carpathians in winter...

Offline timinua

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 466
  • -Receive: 605
« Reply #22 on: 16:39 18-Jul-2011 »
I'm on the lam, and I am comfortable knowing that all documents relating to my whereabouts are in a forgotten stack of papers in a stuffy office that smells of cabbage and drains...
Irritating Ukrainian Shopkeepers By Not Having The Correct Change, Since 1999...

Offline Siggi

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: 18:07 18-Jul-2011 »
Coming from one of the coldest countries on Earth in Winter, I would have to say Crimea is not cold at all. Spoiled spoiled spoiled I say!
I agree, that I am spoiled. Even in October with 17? it can be very unpleasant to take a walk at the beach due to the wet wind. In winter, if the sea is frozen nobody will sit at the beach. This is too cold (in my personal definition). We also don't like hot weather. We would like to have a mild winter where you can sit in winter outside for a dinner.

Egypt and Tunisia (among others) are a stones throw away, and have reasonable real estate markets. Winter home? Voila.
We have been already looking for real estate in Turkey in 2010. A lot of marble, very reasonable priced. But even in May 99% of the "Villas" were empty in Alanya. Not so nice, to live somewhere without any social contacts. We are currently thinking about Florida. Prices are low after the crises. Of course, it is far away. That is a significant disadvantage. Almost no possibility to get a permanent residence, we could only stay there 6 month as a tourist. But there is a good infrastructure, we know the language good enough to communicate, the culture is more similar than that of in an Islamic country. This winter we will stay in Florida. Then we will see.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #24 on: 20:13 18-Jul-2011 »
Coming from one of the coldest countries on Earth in Winter, I would have to say Crimea is not cold at all. Spoiled spoiled spoiled I say!
I agree, that I am spoiled. Even in October with 17? it can be very unpleasant to take a walk at the beach due to the wet wind. In winter, if the sea is frozen nobody will sit at the beach. This is too cold (in my personal definition). We also don't like hot weather. We would like to have a mild winter where you can sit in winter outside for a dinner.

Egypt and Tunisia (among others) are a stones throw away, and have reasonable real estate markets. Winter home? Voila.
We have been already looking for real estate in Turkey in 2010. A lot of marble, very reasonable priced. But even in May 99% of the "Villas" were empty in Alanya. Not so nice, to live somewhere without any social contacts. We are currently thinking about Florida. Prices are low after the crises. Of course, it is far away. That is a significant disadvantage. Almost no possibility to get a permanent residence, we could only stay there 6 month as a tourist. But there is a good infrastructure, we know the language good enough to communicate, the culture is more similar than that of in an Islamic country. This winter we will stay in Florida. Then we will see.

Costa Rica or Belize.

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline KPIC

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 166
  • -Receive: 112
  • I'm in Ukraine!!
« Reply #25 on: 21:58 18-Jul-2011 »
I'm on the lam, and I am comfortable knowing that all documents relating to my whereabouts are in a forgotten stack of papers in a stuffy office that smells of cabbage and drains...

Finally, some truth from the joker in Kherson  ;D
« Last Edit: 22:17 18-Jul-2011 by KPIC »
It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water.  ~Franklin P. Jones

Offline ECOCKS

• American
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 118
« Reply #26 on: 22:23 18-Jul-2011 »
Thought I would take a few years to travel around and see some more of the world.

First, I went to Prague for a course on English teaching methodology then came to Kyiv for a job interview. Contracted a bit with a couple of different operations, then settled in and did my own thing. In the meantime, met a wonderful woman and fell in love. Family illness brought me back home.

Lots of mis-information here. Research carefully and decide what is real and what isn't.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #27 on: 22:26 18-Jul-2011 »

Finally, some truth from the joker in Kherson  ;D

iF you said idiot, then you know you are talking about KH.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline sasha0

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #28 on: 10:22 04-Oct-2011 »
Came for first visit in December 2009, heard the girls were hot and the prices low.

Had a nice holiday, being a freelancer I thought it would make sense to live here.

So here I am :)

Offline dazure

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #29 on: 06:35 11-Oct-2011 »
Soon I will return to Odessa for a short time.
In another post that I can't find it at the moment someone wrote that a person with my economic advantages must be stupid to come here. I have just finished a 4 month stint in an Australian mine where my take home (after tax pay) +US$2500 each week (at today's rate of .997 against the US$). I am not stupid. My reasons for returning here are not romantic and not because of a woman. It would take too long to explain; suffice to say the reasons add up to the only home that I know.

I will have to return to Australia however my goal remains the same; to one day get PR. I will jump through whatever hoops are necessary in order to do this. Going off topic, in Ukraine I am a guest. I do not have an opinion on the politics of Ukraine. As far as visa / PR rules, why do some complain that 'how can these inconsiderate Ukrainians put all these obstacles in my way...'? Those with such an attitude or who are also guests and compare the woes of Ukraine with the advantages of the rest should stay in the rest. Also as far as the visa / PR laws, Ukraine has the sovereign right to act for its own benefit as it sees fit and it is up to me to prove that I am a net gain for Ukraine.