Author Topic: Why Ukraine? How did we first come to be here?  (Read 20290 times)

Offline jackcooper

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Why Ukraine? How did we first come to be here?
« Reply #30 on: 11:06 25-Nov-2011 »
Everyone of my students asks me this....

Well, the short story is that I grew up in a tiny FL town with nothing to do, finished high school, worked odd jobs, decided I wanted to go be a spook like in the movies, joined the Navy, studied Russian, got stationed in Fort Meade, decided that wasn't for me, went AWOL, drove across the US a few times, got caught, got discharged, chatted up some Russians and Ukrainians on the net, got acquainted with a lady that said Kiev was the bee's knees, scraped up some cash, bought a ticket, and she met me at the airport and showed my ignorant, happy-go-lucky, naive ass how to live in Kiev in the dead of winter.

The kicker? This year I went back to USA and thought I'd never return. Managed to stay about 5 months, hopped a plane out of FL, and took off for Kiev again from Borispol on my bicycle...

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #31 on: 16:18 25-Nov-2011 »
Good DLI training!  :D

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
« Reply #32 on: 15:17 30-Dec-2011 »
First time I came to Kyiv (then Kiev) was in 1988, I was paid to do so. My job was to assist in establishing a private bank. We failed (the bank and I). But, it was great fun. Girls? Yes there was Irena, the accountant with the pale-green eyes, but we never even kissed.
Really, I was just happy to get out of there!
Next stop was Minsk, and that was worse.
So, I retired into my coastal, Danish apartment permanently with a whiff of sea-scent and always the background sound of sea kissing shore; contemplating the ways of different mafias, enjoying the bliss of fresh Danish bread and pastry.
Then - around two years later - they paid me to privatize an airline and an airport in Ukraine. Interesting (and demanding) jobs.
In Borispol, I was met by a woman flashing me a kind and concerned smile.
'Hi, I'm Tania,' she said. 'I shall try to be your interpreter.'

The long story, imagine that as it pleases you.
But, after a little time in Denmark we've been living together since 1996, the first 10 years in Prague and then here. And in October we had our 12 years anniversary...
« Last Edit: 13:22 27-Jan-2012 by Claus »
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Carlusha

« Reply #33 on: 17:22 30-Dec-2011 »

And in October we had our 12 years anniversary...

Shucks - your wedding beats ours by a month! We too had our 12th but in November!  8) :)

zodoz

« Reply #34 on: 14:47 12-Feb-2012 »
Typical story:

Meet girls online via Ukraine Marriage Agencies (Later discovered this is bad, I was uninformed)

Came to Kiev to meet them (Also bad, especially when one finds out about other(s))

Had great experience, met a UK mate and came back to run  KievLet.com with him (briefly)

Have a dating experience during that visit that doesn't work out...

Returned again, this time meet a wonderful, Christian, Professional Journalist and find happiness in Ukraine.

Return again to be married soon...

Offline sasha0

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #35 on: 16:37 03-Sep-2012 »
Well almost 18 months after my previous post i'm still here. I hate everything about the Ukraine apart from the girls and the cost of living. In fact, prices are on the rise here so I suppose i'm here only for one thing ;)

I wont spend another whole winter here again, -30 wasn't pleasant in February, but i'm prepared to endure some of the cold season as I would miss Ukrainian girls too much

Offline Siggi

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #36 on: 19:43 03-Sep-2012 »
Last winter I was in the Bavarian Forest. "Only" -15?, the snow storms were not pleasant at all. I hate any strong winter, who cares if it is Ukraine or Germany.

I hate everything about the Ukraine apart from the girls and the cost of living.
That's bad for you. I really enjoy the Crimean sea side from May till October. Since 2005 I come every summer. I even bought a small house with a little piece of ground. I would not know, what can be considered bad here. Is your statement about Ukraine in general or only about Kiev?

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 543
  • -Receive: 812
« Reply #37 on: 07:08 04-Sep-2012 »
My fiancee contacted me on the social website in which our profiles were posted. I never would have contacted her first because she is 28 years younger than I...way out of my age envelope of possible contacts. But, her initial contact was so sweet and sincere that I responded in kind. Eleven months of emails, chats, texts, and phone calls created extremely strong emotional, spiritual, and intellectual bonds between us. The eleven months were due to my knee injury and surgery which postponed an earlier meeting. As our meeting approached at the end of the eleven months, I did not care whether she really resembled her beautiful photos. I was already in love with her.

At our meeting, in May, at last, she was exactly as her photos portrayed her, and her personality was even better in person than I perceived it to be in our digital communications. I was mesmerized, enchanted and conquered physically, emotionally, and intellectually. We dove, wholeheartedly, into our devoted relationship and have never looked back. On my second trip to her, in July, I proposed; she accepted, and we now face all the paperwork obstacles that I have been reading about on the forum for months. I could care less...she is so worth it.
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline Haluk

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #38 on: 11:08 20-Oct-2012 »
I am an anti-militarist. I've been running from the military since 1992. In 2005, when things got really difficult for draft-evaders in Turkey, I started to look for a foreign country to live. Because I am a freelance translator, I can live pretty much anywhere as long as there is internet. I'm from Turkey, I wanted some country that is not hating Turks (so not Malta or Bulgaria), don't have difficult visa requirements (definitely not Europe and Greece), near-by (rule out Bahamas, Cayman, etc), fairly civilized, not Arab, not Muslim, and inexpensive...

It was a matter of choice between Moldova and Ukraine. I don't know why, but I picked Ukraine. And I'm glad I did. I'm loving here so far.

Offline sasha0

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Re: Re: Why Ukraine? How did we first come to be here?
« Reply #39 on: 13:39 20-Oct-2012 »
Had a Turkish friend here who was doing the same. We went out to club one night and he ended up marrying a girl he met. They got married a few days ago. He went back to do his military service for 6 months or something, he said it was terrible, cleaning toilets and.stuff.

Offline Haluk

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: 14:39 20-Oct-2012 »
Yep... Cleaning toilets, peeling potatoes, washing dishes,,, it sounds like Turkish military all right :) but I'm not against cleaning toilet part. Every once a while one is forced to shoot people - that is the part I am against.

albert

« Reply #41 on: 19:37 20-Oct-2012 »
Depends on what they are doing to need getting shot.

Offline Haluk

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: 19:21 21-Oct-2012 »
Unless they come to my home, pose treat to my family, or to my beer stock, I ain't shooting no one. As Chris Rock beautifully put: I don't give a f_ck if there's a Russian tank rollin' down Flatbush Avenue. I ain't shootin' nobody. I ain't shooting nobody, so call me a faggot. When the war's over, I'll be the faggot with two legs

Offline sasha0

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Re: Re:
« Reply #43 on: 22:16 27-Oct-2012 »
Don't blame you, it's never worth dying for your country.

Offline kharaku

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #44 on: 06:51 29-Oct-2012 »
I first came to Ukraine to renew my Visa to Russia (didn't have the cash so I ended up staying in Estonia trying to work up enough cash, but Estonia is expensive).

After having my notebook stolen upon returning to Ukraine, a nice girl from Church helped me get back on my feet and work enough to get a new notebook and thus better paying freelance work.

Seemed like a good idea to marry her, so I did.