Author Topic: Any differences between Ukrainian and Russian women?  (Read 27056 times)

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 102
Any differences between Russian and Ukrainian women? Any thoughts? Any married expats with Ukrainian or Russian wives? Any word of advice to keep in mind for single expats considering tying the knot in the new year? A simple observation can perhaps be that these two people are very similar but in Ukraine there are more dark-haired (by nature) and hazel-eyed women, while in Russia more blondes and blue-eyed women. Reportedly there is a saying that Ukrainian women are more opinionated and persistent. They are great hostesses, they like to cook and invite guests home. Ukranian girls are more ready to act on impulse while Russian women are more prudent and sensible? Any thoughts? While on the subject; what can be said about Moldovian girls? I know it is difficult to try to generalize on such a topic, but perhaps some of you have some experience to share?   :-\

В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Offline Lt. Campers

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 216
  • -Receive: 571
  • On patrol
Re: Any differences between Ukrainian and Russian women?
« Reply #1 on: 06:28 02-Jan-2008 »
Just watch out for the money scammers !!!
The first in the field and the last from the Taverna.

Offline matlockk

• I used to live here
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #2 on: 09:39 02-Jan-2008 »
I'm getting married in February to a lady I met 3 years ago in Moscow. She was born and raised in Kiev but left for Moscow when she was 25 and lived there for 20 years. I think I can speak with some authority on this! Bear in mind my views are generalisations and there will be exceptions on both sides. I do find Ukrainian womed warmer, gentle and fun loving. Russian women are much more demanding and straightforward. I think the dark haired swarthy ones you've seen originate from East ukraine as there are many blonds in the west.

it sound like you are on the look out for one! my advice is forget nationality and look for love.

Good luck!

ecocks

« Reply #3 on: 06:57 03-Jan-2008 »

"It sound like you are on the look out for one! my advice is forget nationality and look for love!"

Yeah, what Keith said!  Wouldn't trade mine for anything imaginable.

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 07:43 03-Jan-2008 »
Thanks for all the good advice. Matlockk, congratulations with your upcoming wedding!

I find that both Russians and Ukrainians are very direct and straight forward but that is from what I understand due to the culture and the tone of the Russian language. The language is much more direct than English and if you are not aware of it, you would think that the other person is not very diplomatic. Russians and Ukrainians will tell you the truth, what they like or not like. There is not much diplomacy. It is a very straightforward language.

As for money scammers .... how do I spot them?  :-\ I would think you can say the same about many Western women too. From what I hear, there are more crime and scams going on in St. Pete and Moscow than in Kyiv.   

I agree that nationality doesn't matter in love. That said I am happy with my lady who I have known for 2 years already. She is a Kyivian.  :)

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

ecocks

Re: Spotting scammers....
« Reply #5 on: 09:00 03-Jan-2008 »

As for money scammers .... how do I spot them?  :-\ I would think you can say the same about many Western women too. From what I hear, there are more crime and scams going on in St. Pete and Moscow than in Kyiv.   

I can spot 'em, look for the little taxi sign on top of their cars... ::)

Actually better than it was summer before last though.  At least it seems that way to me.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #6 on: 07:48 21-Jan-2008 »
Met my wife in Moscow and assumed she was Russian  :-[ - Turns out she was Ukraine from Odessa.  Women are women, you will never understand them but you gotta love them.  If you love them it won't matter where they are from - Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, whichever planet!!!!!    ;D
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline Packman

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 112
  • www.fabbers.com.ua
    • Fabbers Desktop Factories
« Reply #7 on: 12:24 21-Jan-2008 »
It was told to me, that since Ukraine has a history of basically getting "raped" by Russia, in all things such as culture, food etc. that traditionally Ukrainian women have needed to be more attentive and better lovers for the men they are able to find.

Now I don't know if I believe it, I don't have the level of experience with Ukrainian women to say yet.  But so far I find that while there are alot of behavioral similarities between Ukrainian and Russian women, but so I would tend to agree with the generalization above.  Additionally I would add Ukrainian are much more open to western things at this point given the lack of state sponsored xenophobia that Russians are exposed to.

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
« Reply #8 on: 14:59 21-Jan-2008 »
We're talking about millions of people here - all unique.
But there is one factual difference between Ukrainian and Russian women: The vast majory of Ukrainians speak two languages, Ukrainian and Russian; the vast majority of Russians speak only one language, Russian.
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Carlusha

« Reply #9 on: 22:03 21-Jan-2008 »
Met my wife accidentally in London, UK and later found she was from Odessa, Ukraine. We swapped letters for a couple of years. I visited her in Odessa, fell in love and married her.  :-*

Nine years later ................... still bliss!

Both very happy, both retired, homes in UK and Ukraine. After all these years, I am still trying to get to grips with the million superstitions she has! Just received a minor rollicking today for putting the broom against the wall, bristle-end down (it should be bristle-end up!)  ???

I wouldn't change her for the world!  :D

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 05:35 22-Jan-2008 »
After all these years, I am still trying to get to grips with the million superstitions she has! Just received a minor rollicking today for putting the broom against the wall, bristle-end down (it should be bristle-end up!)  ???

I wouldn't change her for the world!  :D

Yeah, the list of superstitions can be long. No whistling while indoors (then my money will go away), sit down in a quiet moment to think about the journey you are about to make just before you leave,  and so on, but I would think both Moldovian and Russian women act like that too  :-\. I think it is hard to generalize anything, people are just too different regardless of nationality. Still trying to figure things out though  ::) There should be some cultural differences. What I have noticed is that Eastern European women are light years ahead of Western women, they are more grown up, serious and have an impressive cultural background from their education. Never come across women who has read so many famous authors, not only Russian and Ukrainian litterature but even the Norwegian Knut Hamsun's novel "Hunger" and Henrik Ibsen. Never came across an American girl who had read such authors. Visited the University in Dnepropetrovsk on Karl Marx Street, no grafitti on the camp grounds, good security with guards, crystal chandeliers and silk curtains. You never see anything like that in the USA.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Carlusha

« Reply #11 on: 22:09 22-Jan-2008 »
Yes, funny you should mention that! The universities are the same in Odessa - one feels as though one is visiting a stately home belonging to a minor royal.

Oh, and I just received another rap on the knuckle for attempting (attempting, mind you) to take the rubbish out to the bin outside our apartment after dark! No rubbish to be thrown out after dark! Is that superstition 1,000,001?
« Last Edit: 22:11 22-Jan-2008 by Carlusha »

JonathanCampion

Ukrainian superstitions.
« Reply #12 on: 07:47 23-Jan-2008 »
I got a telling off at the weekend for pouring vodka 'backhanded', with my palm facing the ceiling.

I know ravens are unlucky, as they say that they only congregate in bad places.

And giving birth by Caesaerian section is a curse on the child, as it will not fear its' own death.

J

Offline SmartJAzzInOdessa

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 210
    • My Music!
« Reply #13 on: 02:42 22-Feb-2008 »
Excuse my bluntness...  Do you think that there is a shelf labelled "Ukrainian Women," and that all of the women there are one and the same, just some with bigger boobs than the other?  How can one even begin to label these women (or any person of any gender, sex and yes, there is a difference by the way, or race) by their nationality?  That is a ridiculous notion.  Do you consider yourself different from your friends, or are you all the same because of your nationality?  What would make one think that women (in general, people) in another country are all homogeneous?   One word, perhaps... Ethnocentrism.  The current social paradigm is that of the society based on individual social units.  Good luck with your "goal" of finding a nationally categorizable woman before the "new year"... Excuse my bluntness, but we are humans and should be treated and thought of as such, not products.  Is it only me that thinks those marriage agencies are sordid and a disgrace? 
« Last Edit: 05:14 22-Feb-2008 by rayjazz21 »
Если человек просит у тебя рыбу, дай ему удочку.

Offline SmartJAzzInOdessa

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 210
    • My Music!
« Reply #14 on: 02:51 22-Feb-2008 »
By the way, concerning Eastern Europeans being light years ahead of Western women... Don't confuse DIFFERENT with ADVANCED.  If an Eastern European were to visit America, he would say the same thing... Just as those women there read Russian literature, ours read Western literature, and he might say "Oh, I've never met a woman who has read Faulkner or Thorough!"  Although you don't see graffiti there, they don't see paid bathrooms or internet paid for by the MB in America.  :-)  Everything is relative...
« Last Edit: 05:05 22-Feb-2008 by rayjazz21 »
Если человек просит у тебя рыбу, дай ему удочку.