Author Topic: Kiev Neighborhoods - Districts - Apartments for rent  (Read 3923 times)

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 102
Kiev Neighborhoods - Residential Districts
(Source: Kiev Post 2006)

For those expats trying to get a grip of the various residential districts of Kyiv, here is a good start  :)
(The rents listed are too low in today's markets since rent information is from 2006) Perhaps someone can update the current rent for the various districts, interesting to see how much rents have increased over 2 years. +50% perhaps?  :-\

Central areas
Kyiv's center, which for obvious reasons is most often recommended for first time visitors, encompasses many different neighborhoods, whith Khreshchatyk and Maidan Nezalezhnosti commonly considered their epicenter. It is difficult not to see the benefits of living in the center: here you can see a developed commercial infrastructure as well as a beautiful and bustling city urban landscape. But there are some disadvantages. The center is noisy and crowded; it is a congregating place for just about the entire city and on weekends Khreshchatyk draws large crowds with its free concerts and activities. The central metro stations are always overcrowded and large grocery stores are scarce. However, living in the center does have certain charms.

Podil
Podil, Kyiv's oldest neighborhood, has beautiful pre-Soviet architecture, quiet streets, a nice selection of restaurants and is host to the National University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy, one of Kyiv's oldest, most prestigious universities. It is also located on the Dnipro's banks and is close to several of Kyiv's star tourist attractions—Andriyivskiy uzviz's souvenir street market and numberous art galleries are in Podil, as well as its one and only funicular, both of which lead directly to Mykhaylivskiyi and St. Sophiyiskiy cathedrals. It also hosts Zhovten movie theater, which is unofficially known as Kyiv's most artistic, alternative movie theater, the Chornobyl museum and many nice restaurants. Podil is less expensive than other central neighborhoods. Small apartments may still be found in this neighborhood for a slittle as $350—a bargain compared with other areas—although you shouldn't expect them to be luxurious or recently remodeled.

Pechersk
Defined by its location in the very ceneter, close to the Rada and other parliamentary buildings, as weel as the beautiful Mariyinkyiy park, the Pechersk neighborhood is perhaps the most prestigious in all of Kyiv. Pechersk is situated in between vul. Khreshchatyk, Lesi Ukrainikiy and Druzhby Narodiv blvds and bordered by the Dnipro on th eEasat. Black Mercedes line the streets near Ukraine 's governmental buildings and residential dwellings look impeccable and refined. If you get away from the major streets you will find many qiet residential neighborhoods. The old caves monasteries of Pecherska Lavra and the Great Patriot War Museum with the giant steal lMaty Batkivshchyna statue are only a quick bus ride or walk away, as well as numerous restaurants, clubs and upscale shopping. Rental price estimates from real estate agencies were about $700 - $2000 per month.

Starokyivskiy and Lukyanivka
This area is loosely defined to encompass the areas between Lukyanivka and Zoloti Vorota metros and bordering Tarasa Shevchenko blvd. This neighborhood hosts some of the most elite residential areas—with prices to match. One agency recommended residences on Yaroslaviv Val in particular. This area is also known for quiet streets, upscale restaurants and shopping, as well as many cultural institutions, such as Kyiv's national Taras Shevchenko Opera and Taras Shevchenko University . Just like Pechersk, rent in this area could set you back $1000 or more per month.

Kyiv's “Suburbs"
Outer-lying areas of Kyiv are developing quickly, which means that a lot of them boast recently constructed modern apartment buildings with stylish décor and modern appliances. Apartments that would cost $1000 in the center may cost half that or less in the Kyiv “suburbs.” For anyone with a tight budget or who would like to get more for their money, here are some neighborhoods worth a look.

Obolon-Minska
North of the city center and following along the Dnipro you will find Obolonski Lypky, roughly located between the Minska and Obolon' metro stops. The apartments along Prosp. Heroyiv Salingrada near Minska metro is an up-and-coming area. Running along the Dnipro's bank, there are many new high-rise complexes with pretty views of the river, as well as a wide selection of restaurants. One apartment complex we found had a nice centralized courtyard with rows of ethnic restaurants surrounding it—including Chinese and Japanese restaurants, a Pizzeria, as well as a pub and tea shop, all located within steps of another. The area also hosts Kyiv's largest shopping mall, Karavan, where you can find high-end retail shops, a Hypermarket, cinema, bowling alley, billiards and skating rink. If that isn't convenient enough, just one or two metro stops away is the giant Petrivka book and electronic market. This neighborhood is a little pricier than some of the other suburban areas, but is still a bargain compared to the center. We found a very nice one-room apartment there last year for only $300.

Svyatoshyn-Nyvkiy
The Svyatoshyn-Nyvkiy district is located west of the center, running for miles along Prosp. Peremohy. This area is primarily residential—it has the most highly concentrated population of residences in all of Kyiv. There is nothing of particular tourist interest here. However, Kyiv's zoo is just off the Politekhnichnyi Institute metro stop, and Pl. Peremohy, situated in between Politekhnichnyi Institute and Universytet metros, is host to the circus, a modest shopping mall, Odessa Kino cinema, which is known for showing a movie in English each week and a bowling alley. The farther from the center, the more removed you are from the action of the city, but still, if you are looking for cheaper accommodations, you may find some here, where it is still possible to rent for $250 to $300 per month (or maybe less if you search hard).

Darnitsya & Poznyaky
While transportation is less convenient on the Dnipro's east side due to the fact that you have to cross the river to go to most destinations, comfortable and affordable apartments are easier to find. Some neighborhoods also have a suburban feel, and by this we mean that they have their own convenient centers with a plethora of shopping, restaurants, gyms, grocery stores, entertainment centers, etc. While we were searching for apartments in this area last month, we found several two-and-three room options that were affordable and well decorated, for $500 to $600 per month.

Real-estate agencies in Kiev
The Kyiv Post lists four agencies that, I assume, can accommodate English speakers.

Key Realty, 278-27-76
Capital Real Estate, 486-86-15
Real Estate & Service, 270-68-95
Kiev City Real Estate, 270-57-18

В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Vera

Re: Kiev Neighborhoods - Districts - Apartments for rent
« Reply #1 on: 16:14 29-Apr-2008 »
I know that a three-room in Darnitsya & Poznyaky rents now for $ 1000 and up depending on condition.

ecocks

« Reply #2 on: 17:30 29-Apr-2008 »
Rentals are edging up to keep pace with inflation.

Minska appears to be approximately $700 now for a one room.  Two room, western-style is around $1200-1400 according to our agent.  Looks like a bit of a bump out in Akademistechka as well.  I'm thinking the apartment will go to $650 (probably priced in Euro equiv.).

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 00:36 30-Apr-2008 »
I am looking for a new apartment these days after my current landlord now wants $750 for my Soviet Style 2-room. The third increase in 12 months. Still perhaps an ok rent in this market but I have had enough. So busy touring various flats and in touch with most agents. What I have learned so far, good flats go very fast in Kyiv. The ones listed in Russian in Aviso with no agents are taken fast, gone by the time you call. Kyiv is getting expensive for sure, perhaps settling down in Sevastopol would make more sense but my good lady prefers Kyiv  ::) The advice is to go after the Russian listed ads, if you answer the English listed ones it is going to be expensive since they are catering to well off expats.  :-\

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 16:44 05-May-2008 »
I know that a three-room in Darnitsya & Poznyaky rents now for $ 1000 and up depending on condition.
Just found a 3-room apartment this week. The rent was reasonable at $650/month. I had to pay first + last month. Located 10 min. walk from the LYKYANIVSKA metro station. The apartment is Soviet style and needs some work as expected (new paint and wall papers which I don't mind adding, etc) but came with new kitchen appliances!!!! The flat can easily be shared by 3 room mates. The key in this rental market is to be flexible and don't mind doing some cosmetic renovation yourself without asking for compensation. A few hundred dollars goes a long way at the local building market to add what is needed and you have a good appartment for a few years. I am happy since my old landlord had already raised my rent 3x over the last 12 months! I ended up getting a larger flat (had a 2 room), I pay less, and it has a better location being closer to metro. It makes a difference if you speak Russian and rent on local terms. Use Avisio - out every Friday at newsracks and use local agents (not those advertising in English - too expensive)

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

rjm

« Reply #5 on: 21:06 05-May-2008 »
Out of interest SB, how is he raising your rent so often, do you not have a written agreement with the landlord?

I know they dont mean a great deal but its normally something to bung at them if they suggest increasing rent and it normally keeps them at bay, normally when Ive rented through an agent the rent is set for a year.

If anyone wants to raise the rent 3 times in a year they are not to be trusted and its best not letting apartments from them, youve done the right thing moving I would add!!!!

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 23:32 05-May-2008 »
The 1-year contract was up and I continued to rent month to month. Also remember this is Ukraine, anything goes  ::) Technically being on a month to month the landlord could do this. When dealing with local landlords directly as I have done, be preapred that they often want to store some belongings in your flat you are renting, and perhaps also need a place for some relatives to stay for a few days now and then. Unheard of in other countries, but again this is Ukraine and the affordable rental market is tight. That said it is part of the experience and I get to meet a lot of people. Still I am happy for my new place.  :-\

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

rjm

« Reply #7 on: 23:45 05-May-2008 »
Yeah the month to month contract arrangement explains all then!

That gives some of these owners in Kiev a real opportunity to "take the piss" as we say back in the UK

On another note, has anyone ever been returned their 1st months rent when they have left at the end of the contract, unheard of but to be fair its also a similar situation in UK and probably everywhere for that matter.

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 00:35 06-May-2008 »
On another note, has anyone ever been returned their 1st months rent when they have left at the end of the contract, unheard of but to be fair its also a similar situation in UK and probably everywhere for that matter.

Don't pay for last months rent. Tell the landlord that you will use what you prepaid so he dosn't have to refund you any money. As an expat trying to get your money back from a landlord who might not want to refund, I ssay good luck  :-\. Better to be a little bit street smart in that respect. It has worked for me but I also told the landlord in time so he didn't have to rely on next months rent  :) Otherwise it can become a problem.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

ecocks

« Reply #9 on: 12:23 06-May-2008 »
When I left my last apartment, we just calculated the rent, deducted the amount of deposit and told the landlord she owed us $148.  No problem.

Offline SteveH

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 983
  • -Receive: 251
« Reply #10 on: 16:12 17-May-2008 »
Ecocks - I'm thinking the apartment will go to $650 (probably priced in Euro equiv.).
Hi Ed,i often use UKR Apartments,i notice Today,that all Their prices are Now in Euros Not $Dollars and of course,they have made about $5 Extra in Their Conversion Rates.

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 08:40 18-May-2008 »
I always refuse to pay in Euro - then I just move on - plenty of competition out there. It is either Hryvnia or USD or when equivalent in Hryvnia always at the official exchange rate. Works for me.  ;D ;D ;D   
« Last Edit: 09:55 18-May-2008 by SilverBullet »

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

rjm

« Reply #12 on: 09:01 18-May-2008 »
And the same rule applies when people pay me for work, dollar always at 5.05

Euro is now becoming a more popular currency to quote now for obvious reason but I have a feeling it will only be a temporary thing!!

I always refuse to pay in Euro - then I just move on - plenty of competition out there. It is either Hryvnia or USD or when equivalent in Hryvnia always at the official exchange rate. Woeks for me.  ;D ;D ;D   

ecocks

« Reply #13 on: 09:34 18-May-2008 »
Like rjm, I believe the USD will come back eventually. 

But, prudence requires staying on top of things and, if the dollar comes unpegged from the hryvnia then I'll switch to Euros.  Was talking to a friend yesterday awho says he has already mentally switched to Euros for business but still works in both USD and Euros for personal money.

Tell me again why I live somewhere so confusing?

;D              Oh, yeah!

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 10:01 18-May-2008 »
Like rjm, I believe the USD will come back eventually. 

But, prudence requires staying on top of things and, if the dollar comes unpegged from the hryvnia then I'll switch to Euros.  Was talking to a friend yesterday awho says he has already mentally switched to Euros for business but still works in both USD and Euros for personal money.

Tell me again why I live somewhere so confusing?

;D              Oh, yeah!
Reportedly after the last G7 meeting a floor has now been placed under the USD and it has strengthened some. The weak USD is costing the EU a lot in lost exports and many Eurozone companies are struggeling to avoid layoffs. For many the largest export market is still the US. I don't think Ukraine will undo the peg to the USD. Just look at Argentina, their Peso has been pegged to the USD for a very long time and it helped decrease the earlier high inflation in Argentina. Gas prices in Ukraine is still 50% off Western Europe prices, take away the peg and prices would go up. Not in the interest of the local economy.   

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.