Author Topic: Any differences between Ukrainian and Russian women?  (Read 27163 times)

ecocks

Re: Any differences between Ukrainian and Russian women?
« Reply #45 on: 15:12 17-Apr-2008 »
Q. Why did the American cross the pond?

A. To gain cultural understanding and stimulate intellectual development through an in-depth exhumation, er...uh examination that is, of their ancestral heritage.  Yes, as my ancestors began timidly stepping forth from their caves, throwing rocks at large-fanged carnivores, learning the mysteries of fire, painting their bodies blue, pulling swords from stones, inventing chastity belts, rebuilding caves from blocks of stones and retreating into them when danger threa......ah yeah, what he said.

::)

Carlusha

« Reply #46 on: 18:56 17-Apr-2008 »
Ed, that was superb! Can I be amongst the first to read your long-awaited autobiography?   :)

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #47 on: 01:43 29-Apr-2008 »
I have bought an interesting eBook "Finding a Ukrainian Bride" from a company calling itself Ukrainian Seduction.  Their e-mail is seduction@ukr.net

The book is awesome and great fun to read!
What is the genre of the book? Humor? Facts? A guide book? Why would anyone need a book? Just walk down the main streets in any city and you will be blended with so much beauty  :) Seriously, the two major hazards in Ukraine are "crazy" drivers ready to run you over in the pedestrian crosswalks (or the lack of them) / sidewalks or you are getting a serious neck burn with so many head turners every where. I guess only visitors and expats notice this, the local men take it for granted being surrounded by so many beautiful and smart women every day  ::)   
В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Offline Ceasefire

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #48 on: 23:25 12-May-2008 »
I can agree that perhaps there are some sites that function more as dating sites, but I can't agree that these are counterparts to the Yahoo Personals, or Eharmony, because there are other Russian sites that offer the exact same services, like Знакомства on mail.ru,

I've used dating sites in the UK and have been curious about those in Ukraine and to get around the Bride sites I think it would be best to use google translate to access the site instead of the English route the bride sites target. The only difficulty is trying to creae a profile when you're a beginner to the written language. LovePlanet.ua and Flirt.com.ua appear to be the most popular genuine dating sites.

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #49 on: 00:10 13-May-2008 »
Hey, save yourself a lot of aggrevation... money... and time!!!  All of the sites are really a money making thing.  How can you think you will find real love from a photo, and a juiced up catchy message... followed by more unrealistic expectations!!! and going to meet some girl that you have no real idea about, and very well may look totally different from her glamour shots.  I am trying to say, it is possible, but the odds are way against you.
If you are serious to try things, learn some Russian language, consider to try a month or two rent an apartment, see if you like the lifestyle, and get to know and appreciate real people there, and let things happen naturally... and for all the right reasons...  and that is when you will have a real shot of a great connection.
Just my humble point of view... for what that is worth   ;D

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: 07:04 14-May-2008 »
Hey, save yourself a lot of aggrevation... money... and time!!!  All of the sites are really a money making thing.  How can you think you will find real love from a photo, and a juiced up catchy message... followed by more unrealistic expectations!!!
The Ukraine dating sites are really no different in concept than many US dating sites like Yahoo Personals, etc. with stale pictures and fake information. User there also have glamor shots but they are 10 years old photos and you have no clue who you really correspond with until you meet in person. A dating site is just a place to establish contact, then you have to meet in person and take it form there. If you spend some money on this along the way, what is the big deal.

For those interested the very best dating site in Ukraine: www.Anastasiaweb.com Looking at the ladies on this site you will never think of any other women in this world. The shots are glamor shots but the ladies look just as good in real life too and YES they all do exisit - there is no scams on this site.  :)   

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

Offline SmartJAzzInOdessa

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 210
    • My Music!
« Reply #51 on: 07:16 14-May-2008 »
I just have to throw in my two cents here.  Isn't there something disturbing, awfully curious and perhaps dehumanizing about the term "mail order bride," which is what pops up when viewing the above mentioned site.   ::)

« Last Edit: 07:18 14-May-2008 by rayjazz21 »
Если человек просит у тебя рыбу, дай ему удочку.

ecocks

« Reply #52 on: 07:22 14-May-2008 »
There is a difference between mail order brides and dating sites.  Owners advertise to what they think is the market, many of the women are normal.

In the new age of computers and virtual presences, the Internet is just one more way to meet people - women, men, whatever floats your boat.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with using the Internet to meet (and even initially greet) potential dating partners.  How is it any different than seeing a gal across a crowded, smoky bar and walking over to ask her to dance?  She could be married, a hooker, a drug addict, a wiccan high priestess, whatever.  When I first got here, I used the Internet to make some contacts, weeded out the scammers and others who were on the take as best I could, began dating one or two at a time and looked for one I found interesting and worth developing a relationship with.  I ended up married to her.  So, worked for me.

If you want to go cruise bars, frequent church events (rare in Ukraine), hang around the cosmetics counter at TSUM or wait to meet a co-worker/student/friend of a friend or something then best of luck to you.  I see the odds as roughly equal and maybe a bit better screening intelligently off the Internet, if you have your expectations in hand and are thinking with reason anyway.

If you are so incredibly shallow that you pick long-term partners based solely upon their looks and something they put in a few emails, well, you deserve what you get.

Knock yourself out
« Last Edit: 08:09 14-May-2008 by ecocks »

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: 07:30 14-May-2008 »
I just have to throw in my two cents here.  Isn't there something disturbing, awfully curious and perhaps dehumanizing about the term "mail order bride," which is what pops up when viewing the above mentioned site.   ::)

I think that term has long time ago lost its original meaning. It is an outdated term used by older generation. If a man in California are in contact with a woman in Utah using Yahoo Personal, then I guess the lady in Utah would also technically be a "mail order bride" Or if I apply for a job online with a company - would that make me a mail order employee? Everything happens in cyber space these days, you find your special car for sale on-line, you do your shopping there at the best prices, you shop for vacation at the best fares, you find your special someone online, you download your music and videos, I can just not imagine how someone can live without cyberspace these days  ;D ;D ;D   

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • My Music!
« Reply #54 on: 07:39 14-May-2008 »
Kudoz, Ed! 

SB, I think that this term has a special meaning in CIS countries (as well as other key countries), as it refers to men who, as Ed points out, exchange a few emails and pictures, meet once on ten day trip set up by the marriage agency, "fall in love" and start the fiance visa process.  You won't find any "dating sites" in the West that use such a term, as the goals of both the business, and often times, the woman, are different.  But I think most of this was covered in another discussion along the same lines as this one.  The term is used in countries that have a large population of people wanting to move to the West, and the sites typically target Westerners, which is why they are almost ALWAYS in English, and often without a Russian translation, such as the above mentioned site, which offers it only in English, German and French. :)

You're completely right about "shopping" on the net.  And I have no problems with calling a book from Amazon.com a "mail order book."  ;D

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • My Music!
« Reply #55 on: 08:50 14-May-2008 »
Oh, this is that "other discussion." :)

I thought we were in the new discussion in "Q&A."  :) 

rjm

« Reply #56 on: 10:02 14-May-2008 »
For the record I hate the whole practice and know a girl that used to work for a Marriage agency about 3 years ago and told me it was the most dishonest business you could ever imagine from top to bottom, she said that she didnt know who was the more dishonest the men or the girls or the agency!

I remember when I first came here 5 years ago, there would be 2 pages every week in the Kyiv Post with these agencies and numerous people walking up and down Kreshatyk all day with sandwich boards.

I looked in last weeks issue and there were only 2 ads and I never see these people in the centre now with their sandwich boards so I would suggest that this whole grubby business is in its dying days!

I think I saw an article about a year ago in Kyiv Post that said that many were closing as they were finding it hard to find girls that were interested in meeting foreign men for marriage now!

« Last Edit: 10:04 14-May-2008 by rjm »

Offline SilverBullet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: 07:11 15-May-2008 »
I think I saw an article about a year ago in Kyiv Post that said that many were closing as they were finding it hard to find girls that were interested in meeting foreign men for marriage now!

To all bachelors out there - you guys need to hurry up if the girls are loosing interest ::) Seriously, I like Ed's take on this - a 50/50 chance via internet compared to other avenues and it worked for him so why argue with success.

By the way, Anastasiaweeb.com got kicked out of Belarus. The president in Minsk are concerend about young women leaving the country and fear a shortfall of eligible bachelorettes in Belarus one day  ??? ::) :o. Women in Moscow and St Petersburg have already lost interest in Western men. Life is just getting better in Moscow.  ;D

Век живи́ — век учи́сь.
Live and learn.

ecocks

« Reply #58 on: 10:35 15-May-2008 »
An idea is born.

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • My Music!
« Reply #59 on: 10:43 15-May-2008 »
Here's MY idea!!

With the current weak US economy, the EU is becoming more and more desirable!!  I propose a marriage agency for American women and men seeking to go to the EU!!  :D :D :D