Author Topic: Tony Blair For President??????  (Read 2578 times)

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
Tony Blair For President??????
« on: 13:07 10-Feb-2008 »
There is rumour that Tony B.Liar is in the running for the new top job in Europe, "President of the Council" which is a job which becomes available in 2009 and was created in the EU's Lisbon Treaty.

Apparantly France is behind this move 100% and the UK is awaiting Mr Blair admitting "officially" his interest before also backing him.  Blair is apparantly waiting to find out just how much power the job will have (there's a suprise!!!  :o ::)).

Tony Blair for EU President????

Your thoughts folks  ::)

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline BritKyiv

• Still own property in Ukraine
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 415
Re: Tony Blair For President??????
« Reply #1 on: 17:35 10-Feb-2008 »
Why not..its not a real job. Blair has not had a real job for a many years  now so whats the difference?
Its easy once you are on the EU/Government from any country gravy train...you can get another job, that also proves you do not have to show any real gains just do plenty of talking , make a few good speeches, and heh, presto, you have another well paid public sector job, where you do not really have to do ANY thing.
In fact give me $250,000 per year and I will talk crap all day.
I escaped. Now in Sunny Cyprus

Offline matlockk

• I used to live here
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #2 on: 19:04 10-Feb-2008 »
I think Blair was the finest PM we had for decades. his downfall, sadly, Iraq. I can't see if it would make any difference anyway. What exactly does the President of Europe do?

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
« Reply #3 on: 20:24 10-Feb-2008 »
There is no and will be no 'president of Europe' (thanks Danish veto!)  :P
But they decided to have some figurehead with purely pseudorepresental function (why?).
And why not Mr Blair for that? He's a good speaker, he's intelligent and fast, represents personally several religions, etc.
Furthermore, a German or French would be firmly opposed.
Why not?
In Denmark we did have a saying (back before protestantism but after paganism), 'When a devil becomes old, s/he retires in a monestry.'
Guess that a relevant re-formulation could be, 'When a politician is ousted, s/he'll have representative, well-payed glamour-jobs.'
Well, I could imagine worse candidates  :P
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #4 on: 14:09 11-Feb-2008 »
Why not indeed??

Maybe because (and I am not knocking him for it) the UK didnot take up the Euro.  The UK vito'd many motions which other members where very much in favour of.  He was after all doing what the country (in general) wanted but not what the EU wanted.  It was his job after all (at the time).  How will it sit with the other members of the EU when they recall these facts?  Or will it just be met with the usual "so what" attitude of many MEPs.

My knowledge of the treaty I mentioned before is very scant to be fair and I do not know what power if any the position holds when it comes into a reality in 2009.  I guess we will have to wait and see when some meat is put onto the bones of the "job description".

On a purely personal basis, my faith (such as it was) in Mr Blair was severally shaken with the treatment and outcome of Dr David Kelly in the lead up to the current Iraq debarkle.   So glad I did my bit and left HM Forces before that started!!!  ::)  Up until then I thought he was doing OK even without a credible opposition to keep him in check!  :-\

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

ecocks

« Reply #5 on: 14:32 11-Feb-2008 »
Kelly?

He that Flight Surgeon that refused deployment?

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #6 on: 14:41 11-Feb-2008 »
Kelly?

He that Flight Surgeon that refused deployment?

No weapons expert who was hung out to dry and then "commited suicide" apparantly.

Profile: Dr David Kelly

Dr Kelly was a weapons inspector in Iraq
Weapons expert Dr David Kelly was thrust into the media spotlight after being identified in newspapers as the man the government believed was the source for a BBC report on Iraq.
The scientist was used to talking to journalists behind the scenes - but he became a key figure in the row between the government and the BBC over claims that Downing Street "sexed up" a dossier on Iraq's weapons capability.

After being publicly named the 59-year-old told MPs he did not believe he was the story's main source - after admitting to his managers he had met the Today programme's Andrew Gilligan.

Two days after facing MPs he was found dead, after apparently taking his own life. The BBC confirmed on 20 July 2002 that the scientist was their principal contact.

His wife told the inquiry into his death that her husband had been utterly dismayed by the media frenzy around him.

Janice Kelly said he became: "distracted... dejected... desperate...I just thought he had a broken heart. He had shrunk into himself".

Iraq weapons inspections

At the time the story broke, the Oxford-educated microbiologist had been scientific adviser to the proliferation and arms control secretariat for more than three years.

He was an expert in arms control, working as a weapons inspector in Iraq between 1991 and 1998, following the first Gulf War.

I just thought he had a broken heart

Janice Kelly's evidence to the inquiry 
Dr Kelly became senior adviser on biological warfare for the UN in Iraq in 1994, holding the post until 1999.

He was sufficiently well respected to have been nominated for a Nobel peace prize by the man who led the Iraq weapons inspections for much of the 1990s, Rolf Ekeus.

During a lecture Dr Kelly once said: "When Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990, little did I realise that Saddam Hussein would dictate the next 10 years of my life."

He also led all the visits and inspections of Russian biological warfare facilities from 1991 to 1994 under the 1992 Trilateral Agreement between the US, UK and Russia.

Garth Whitty who worked with him as a UN weapons inspector in Iraq, told the BBC the scientist was "internationally regarded" as an expert in biological weapons defence who normally coped well under pressure.

"He was a quiet man who got on with his job. He did it with the highest professional standards," he said.

A quote from the media at the time I found on line - just for you  ::)

« Last Edit: 14:50 11-Feb-2008 by Pompey-Nik »

ecocks

« Reply #7 on: 14:50 11-Feb-2008 »
Ah, thanks for the elucidation and education.  I was thinking only of medical doctor.