Author Topic: Considering moving to Ukraine  (Read 3490 times)

Anton0067

Considering moving to Ukraine
« on: 16:10 24-May-2006 »
Hello,

I'm a licensed real estate agent in the USA and am considering moving to the Ukraine permanently. I'd like to own a house for me and my 10 y.o. daughter, as I own a 3 bedroom now (in USA) that I would be selling. I am focused on Odessa but Kyiv would be second choice. I am not married but do have custody of daughter. My daughter attends a school for the gifted here and I have concerns about quality education.

For income, I'd consider working as an agent (James East 8 or another broker), becoming a broker, or starting up a business unrelated to real estate. Basically I'd be looking for investment or opportunity where it is available, tourism, restaraunteer, etc...

I believe in January 2006 it has become legal for foreigners to own non-agricultural land so I would be interested in buying investment property.

I do not speak or read Ukranian nor Russian but I am fast with languages and living in-country I believe I could be a fluent speaker in six months and a fluent reader in one year, with classes.

All this is in the planning stages, I am uncommitted to the idea at the moment, but am primarily searching for opportunity. If I cannot work for good money or start up a business, I will not move to Ukraine.

Any advice or resources that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Old Admin (Retired)

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 115
  • -Receive: 321
    • http://www.expatua.com
« Reply #1 on: 16:14 24-May-2006 »
it could be a good idea for you to make a brief visit to Ukraine a have a few meeting around. See things, talk to people...There are chances and opportunities here, no doubts.

Anton0067

« Reply #2 on: 16:29 24-May-2006 »
If my schedule frees up, I plan to come in late summer or early fall for a week or two visiting both Kiev and Odessa. It would be a huge step so I'm making sure I have plenty of time to plan.

I'm also looking at possible franchise opportunities for US food or service businesses that would have a market. It seems like Ukraine is a land of opportunity with its young economy and being poised to enter the World Trade Organization, as long as it remains politically stable.

Thanks!

Offline Old Admin (Retired)

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 115
  • -Receive: 321
    • http://www.expatua.com
« Reply #3 on: 16:32 24-May-2006 »
Good plan. Just keep in mind that Expat Ukraine could help with your trip, accomodation and some market data you may find interesting and useful.

Cheers

Anton0067

« Reply #4 on: 18:21 25-May-2006 »
Would you happen to know the median price of a 3 bedroom house in or near Kyiv or Odessa in good condition? Or just have a rough estimate of what I should expect to pay?

The prices I've seen online through Ukrainian realtors seems unbelievable and grossly overpriced for the region, unless they're using dollar signs for hrivna.

Offline Natalia

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • http://
Re: Considering moving to Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: 12:42 30-May-2006 »
Quote from: "Anton0067"
Hello,

I do not speak or read Ukranian nor Russian but I am fast with languages and living in-country I believe I could be a fluent speaker in six months and a fluent reader in one year, with classes.

You see, Ukraine is really a land of opportunitise, but you are too optimistic about the languages: Russian and Ukrainian are to difficult to be fluent with them in a halfyear :(((
So, consider, that you will have to overcome the language barrier too. Anyway, many expat-top-managers of different companies do well without Russian knowledge even after 5 or 10 years living here)))
Try to set personal contacts with recruitment agencies, with expats)
Maybe, a mini-resume in Kyiv Post could help)