Author Topic: Salaries for Expats in Kiev  (Read 2319 times)

Offline SpeedEight

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
Salaries for Expats in Kiev
« on: 15:00 15-Jul-2011 »
I'm looking for some advice on salary expectations for an Expat living in Kiev, any input appreciated.

I was approached this morning about a permanent position in Kiev and after asking if I was potentially interested it got straight down to what net income I would be looking for. I found this a bit odd in these early stages but thinking about it I guess they are seeing if what they're willing to pay and my expectations are wildly off so to not waste anyone's time.

Anyway I said I'd be looking for what I earn net in the UK or better, have I instantly priced myself out of the market due to lower average salaries in Ukraine? Or should I stick to my guns? What do other Expats expect when they make a move from Western Europe, USA, etc.?

The way I see it from my current regular short business trips to Kiev it's just as expensive as living in the UK. Rent for a decent 1 or 2 bed apartment looks like 1000 euros / month. That's more than my mortgage on a nice 3 bed house with a garage and garden. Also the prices of food, cafes, bars, etc, seem similar to UK prices, but this is the down town areas.

So if they come back and negotiate can I lower my expectations and still have the same living standards? My guess is no.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

On Skype & Vk.com if you fancy exchanging contacts.

Offline plazkarta

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 44
Re: Salaries for Expats in Kiev
« Reply #1 on: 15:16 15-Jul-2011 »
Many on here will know better than me but firstly if you need to rent a place you will certainly be looking at requiring the same sort of salary as in Western Europe.

Prices have rocketted here for food and everyday things in the last 2 years, Ukraine is not cheap anymore with the exception of transport and a few other things.

Luxury things like restaurants and entertainment are as if not more expensive than the UK I find.

If you could be based outside Kiev that would put a different slant on things as Kiev is way more expensive than anywhere else in the country.

At a time when I understand many expats are leaving or have left Ukraine you would do well to do your maths before contemplating your next move.

Good luck in any case!

I'm looking for some advice on salary expectations for an Expat living in Kiev, any input appreciated.

I was approached this morning about a permanent position in Kiev and after asking if I was potentially interested it got straight down to what net income I would be looking for. I found this a bit odd in these early stages but thinking about it I guess they are seeing if what they're willing to pay and my expectations are wildly off so to not waste anyone's time.

Anyway I said I'd be looking for what I earn net in the UK or better, have I instantly priced myself out of the market due to lower average salaries in Ukraine? Or should I stick to my guns? What do other Expats expect when they make a move from Western Europe, USA, etc.?

The way I see it from my current regular short business trips to Kiev it's just as expensive as living in the UK. Rent for a decent 1 or 2 bed apartment looks like 1000 euros / month. That's more than my mortgage on a nice 3 bed house with a garage and garden. Also the prices of food, cafes, bars, etc, seem similar to UK prices, but this is the down town areas.

So if they come back and negotiate can I lower my expectations and still have the same living standards? My guess is no.

Offline SpeedEight

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: 16:40 15-Jul-2011 »
Thanks plazkarta, that kind of confirms what I thought. With the exception of public transport, as you say, everything else seems as expensive or more so than Western Europe.

I've now heard back from them, the HR lady thinks my expectations can't be met as they currently pay senior guys half what I'm on in the UK! She justified it by referring to the low cost of living in Kiev :):) I don't think so, it's a non-starter probably! She said she'll check with her management but doubts it has legs.

It makes you wonder why they contacted me in the first place, they must know they're not going to get experienced people from the West for peanuts. I'll stay as I am for now but I'd still be interested to know what people think about costs of living in Kiev.
On Skype & Vk.com if you fancy exchanging contacts.

Carlusha

« Reply #3 on: 16:46 15-Jul-2011 »
Don't forget your high rent should be compared to London's west end, Knightsbridge, etc. Once you move out a few kilometres, rents drop quite a bit.

Offline Packman

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 112
  • www.fabbers.com.ua
    • Fabbers Desktop Factories
« Reply #4 on: 23:01 23-Jul-2011 »
I think a big issue is whether the offer is from a western company or a Ukrainian company.  Maybe you can give us some insight as to what industry and what type of company you're looking at?  And I think comparing Kiev's prices to to western European prices are fanciful.  Food is cheap...entertainment is cheap if you stay out of the expat ghetto...and rent I am sure is much cheaper than London.

Offline swampwiz

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: 00:51 27-Jul-2011 »

If you live out in the sticks like I do (still only about 35 minutes from Khreschatik), you can get a decent studio for 2800 UAH/mo.  Nobody takes a job in Ukraine for the money, but rather for the expat experience.