Author Topic: A message from Timoshenko....  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2028
    • Kiev Life
A message from Timoshenko....
« on: 08:36 27-Dec-2011 »
Very nice words... I wish she had written them:

http://www.tymoshenko.ua/en/article/xx2m75ez

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline BritKyiv

• Still own property in Ukraine
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 415
Re: A message from Timoshenko....
« Reply #1 on: 09:01 27-Dec-2011 »
Stop being negative. She did write it.  :-X
Who do you think wrote it....Martin Nunn?
or maybe one of the vast army of PR people in the UK?
I escaped. Now in Sunny Cyprus

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #2 on: 10:14 27-Dec-2011 »
I dunno ... I thought it was a piece of c#@p myself. Whoever wrote that needs to spend some time as an intern in a advertising agency to learn how to write propaganda effectively. To me, it seems, each time she opens her mouth she makes herself look more and more like a miscast spoiled high school child in a bad Hollywood B movie that wants to be part of the "cool crowd".

If indeed these are her own words then I have lost the very last shred of respect I had for her and now regulate her to my back burner of history. But then that's just me, I am sure some people still like her, but, I do not.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #3 on: 10:49 27-Dec-2011 »
I think this is far from the last gasp of Tymoshenko, though perhaps she has not benefitted from being tortured in prision as much as some influential Russian authors.
Even if you don't like her letter, at least it proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that something was tortured, if only prose.
I am certain she will recover her looks, power and Swiss Bank numbers, eventually as she has done before.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #4 on: 15:28 27-Dec-2011 »
Interesting that politicians are dead on the criticisms and tearing down of the others, but they cannot yet build up themselves or the country they were elected to do so.

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #5 on: 18:03 27-Dec-2011 »
With the exception of Svoboda (far-right) and the Communists, all other parties are ideology-less. 

All parties are without a grand plan and are therefore strategy and policy-less when it comes to specific direction and coherent narrative when forming strategy and policy.  Instead, at best and very occasionally, we have ad hoc and opportunist (or even worse popularist) politics and poorly thought out policy.

That really only leaves personalised politics and public spats between recycled parts of the old system, and that is what we have and will continue to have, as long as the old guard remain in political life.

Another 10 - 15 years of it ahead in all probability.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #6 on: 13:33 28-Dec-2011 »
I think this is far from the last gasp of Tymoshenko.............I am certain she will recover her looks, power and Swiss Bank numbers, eventually as she has done before.

I am quite sure you are right, but it may not be in a fashion she will appreciate.

The clock is ticking down to 2012 when her Dnepro ex-business partner and ex-Ukrainian Prime Minter Pavlo Lazarenko will be released from jail in California, still officially wanted in Ukraine under international warrants issued almost a decade ago.

That, given she is under investigation for shenanigans when in charge of UESU, is bound to rake up all those publicly available US court documents which name her, UESU, UESL and her transferring of illicit funds to off-shore accounts.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1423727.html

"4. United Energy Systems of Ukraine

Eventually, Lazarenko became the First Prime Minister of Ukraine and was responsible for the energy section within the government.   According to the indictment, an associate of Lazarenko's, Yulia Tymoshenko, created a natural gas company, United Energy Systems of Ukraine (?UESU?), which received deliveries of gas from RAO Gazprom.   UESU was held in large part by United Energy International, Ltd. (?UEIL?), which was owned by a Turkish national.   UESU conveyed title to the gas to UEIL such that payments from Ukrainian customers for gas were diverted to UEIL. UEIL did not pay RAO Gazprom for the gas deliveries with the money it received from customers.   Instead, it transferred approximately $140 million to a Cypriot company, Somolli, that was controlled, in part, by Tymoshenko.   UEIL and Somolli transferred $97 million to accounts controlled by Kiritchenko in Switzerland, Poland, and the United States.   Kiritchenko then transferred $120 million to accounts controlled by Lazarenko in Switzerland and Antigua.   Lazarenko made two transfers of $14 million each from one of these accounts to accounts in the United States."

The timing of his release and dragging that episode back into the public spotlight could probably not be any worse for her.
« Last Edit: 20:19 28-Dec-2011 by P-N »
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #7 on: 14:41 28-Dec-2011 »
I can hear the sound of the nails in her political coffin now... if only Ukrainians would read ....

Hammer vs Nail (sound)
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Re: A message from Timoshenko.... Yanukovich Responds...
« Reply #8 on: 03:21 31-Dec-2011 »
Tymo has been tossed onto a stretcher and trundled off to a "Remote"  Penal Colony in Kharkov (Kachaniviska,) where the inmates are famous for the hand crafted plastic bags and tarps that they are forced to make:
http://un.ua/eng/article/368636.html

Perhaps members of the board in the construction industry will be fortunate to drape one of their projects with a plastic tarp sewn personally by the former PM. 

A modest protest is said to be forming up, outside the minimum security prison.

Tymo's cell is quite large, 37 sq. M, and the two room cell includes a separate bathroom.  She has only one cellmate sharing the accomodation, which was set up for seven prisoners:
http://forua.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/kharkiv-penal-colony-confirms-arrival-of-tymoshenko/

The video at this link shows Tymoshenko's new home (exterior of the prision only:)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ukrainian/multimedia/2011/12/111230_tymoshenko_kharkiv_move_video_ak.shtml
« Last Edit: 08:17 31-Dec-2011 by David Rochlin »

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #9 on: 08:17 31-Dec-2011 »
Indeed, she seems to have landed a very pleasant and very comfortable (by Ukrainian standards) prison cell.

http://www.pravda.com.ua/articles/2011/12/30/6879017/

To be quite frank, rolling through the photographs at the top of the article, it looks more comfortable than some apartments I have been in.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #10 on: 08:24 31-Dec-2011 »
If you listen to her daughter in the video clip, Ms Tymoshenko went with only 12 suit cases of belongings.

I'll bet the other prisoners didn't go with 12 suitcases full of belongings!  Bit of a PR own goal.

Offline BritKyiv

• Still own property in Ukraine
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 415
« Reply #11 on: 19:55 31-Dec-2011 »
So Nick, you expect that she should be thrown in a cave and fed on bread and water?
2012 is going to be interesting for all concerned.
I escaped. Now in Sunny Cyprus

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #12 on: 08:37 01-Jan-2012 »
So Nick, you expect that she should be thrown in a cave and fed on bread and water?
2012 is going to be interesting for all concerned.

No nothing quite that Dickensian.  However, do I think she should be treated any differently from the Ukrainians who were railroaded under the same court system she was?  No.

Why?  Because there will be many Ukrainians in jails throughout Ukraine who didn't get a fair trial when she was in power and yet her government did nothing to change the system despite Euro tens of millions being thrown at her government to change this by the EU.

Did her government action all the ECHR rulings against Ukraine on her watch?  No.  Many were just allowed to pile up.

Are her human rights any more important than theirs?  No.

If there had been anything like a serious attempt by her to change the system when she was in power I would have more sympathy but there wasn't.

Do I think she should be in prison?  No.  Not because I think she is guilty or innocent but because the process was flawed.  Are there other Ukrainians in jail I also think should not be in prison?  Yes and for the same reasons, regardless of their guilt or innocence. 

If she had been a champion of the rule of law when in power, I would feel far more inclined to do much more than write a few words on a forum or in a few blogs stating that she should not be in jail because the process was flawed.  As she was no such champion of the rule of law, then she is no more wronged than many people who were wronged when she was Prime Minister.

Any support I have for her comes by default in the support of the rule of law and due process.  I am not interested in which recycled Soviet, corrupt patriarch holds which position of power in Ukraine as none of them are any better than each other.

Do I think she could have been sent to far worse prison conditions in Ukraine?  Definitely.

« Last Edit: 10:44 01-Jan-2012 by P-N »

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 05:29 03-Jan-2012 »
Most Westerners who want Tymoshenko out,want her out for the sake of Democracy in Ukraine, or at least a future of it.  Empathy for Tymoshenko, herself, is not very high.  She is more of a Bhutto, than she is an Aung San Su Kyii. 

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #14 on: 05:47 03-Jan-2012 »
Most Westerners who want Tymoshenko out,want her out for the sake of Democracy in Ukraine, or at least a future of it.  Empathy for Tymoshenko, herself, is not very high.  She is more of a Bhutto, than she is an Aung San Su Kyii.

Bhutto was liked
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write