Author Topic: A Russian election thread  (Read 3711 times)

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
Re: A Russian election thread
« Reply #30 on: 23:09 05-Mar-2012 »
"Tell me what Ukraine has the others want? I can only think Agriculture."

True.
Never underestimate the power of Agriculture. Remember when California was the #7 economy in the world? Food: not Hollywood, not steel, not Silicon Valley. Remember when Ukraine was the Bread Basket of The Soviet Union? Remember when the Nazis and the Russians both stripped Ukrainian super soil off the land and shipped it back to their countries?

What does Ukraine have? Agriculture. What does Ukraine NEED? Fuel and Farmers.
Gas to power tractors and trucks to ship to market, but we NEED to work the fields.

Of course this is very simplistic thinking, but ... I am not very intelligent or even very smart, so simple things come to my mind, you know, like food.

How far does it have to go to make that turn? Prosperity is just around the corner, only Ukrainians can find that corner and make that turn, they need to get behind the wheel and stay on the road. It is a long one...
Poor infrastructure does not maximize the crops (some places are still using ox) and 10-15% of the crop will rot waiting to transported.
what buys tractors and takes the food to the market? It is capital.
Capital will come when they know there is a stable government that protects property rights and clear rules of doing business.
Ukraine does not have any of this. Plus add huge bureaucracy which sole aim to protect non valued employment.
Look at how much it cost Kiev to build a stadium vs Munich?

Ukraine needs to look at Poland as an example of success.
It won't and as Nik stated, they will always take the easy way out.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #31 on: 23:36 05-Mar-2012 »
This thread has drifted.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline MWDabbs

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 217
  • -Receive: 285
    • Opera Mobile Store Blog
« Reply #32 on: 04:56 10-Mar-2012 »
Ah... well nevermind then - if the Financial Times doesn't like links and people reading their sh*t, I shan't give them any ever, ever again.

Simplicity is sweet, simplicity work's great for 99% of everyone but when a company thinks their excrement is so special everyone has to treat it differently, it ends up getting not treated at all.

So sayeth the mwdabbs...

« Last Edit: 09:30 10-Mar-2012 by MWDabbs »
We cannot afford governments that cannot afford to take care of our veterans.

Carlusha

« Reply #33 on: 06:33 10-Mar-2012 »
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/92d455d8-69eb-11e1-8996-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1ogbjm233

Okay - for those who have followed the Russian Elections - have into the above article.  How much of it is an objective presentation and how much of it is slanted BS?

FT doesn't permit the following of links unless one is registered. See attachment one.

A workaround is possible if the original poster ensures a few key words are available. In this instance they are obvious, "Russian elections the Kremlin-based midget". If referring to an FT article, the original poster could actually suggest the words to use.

OK so far? Right, into the google search field, type "FT Russian elections the Kremlin-based midget", hit/click enter. Alternatively, into the search field to search ONLY FT.com, enter "site:http://www.ft.com russian elections the Kremlin-based midget".

For obvious reasons, FT doesn't like people linking FT articles. Ideally all readers should be registered and presumably, paid subscribers. However, if you arrive on the news article you wish to read VIA A SEARCH ENGINE, you are permitted to read the article!

Interesting?

I should know better to first make coffee, THEN turn the computer on.   :( :'(

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #34 on: 18:47 17-Aug-2012 »
The Pussy Riot girls conviction was a foregone conclusion, of course.  They were just sentenced to two years.  Opposition figures, including Kasparov were arrested protesting in front of the Courts:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/17/pussy-riot-trial-verdict-live?newsfeed=true

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #35 on: 18:55 17-Aug-2012 »
Brace yourself for western media coverage over repression of freedom of expression and political condemnation over proportionate sentencing from western leaderships.

Brits though may do well to remember the Pink Floyd band member's son Charlie Gilmore was sentenced to 16 months in jail  for swinging on a Union Jack hung on a Cenotaph in 2010.

Either equally acceptable as a freedom of expression and equally disproportionate as a sentence - or absolute hypocrisy to follow in very large quantities.

I suspect the latter.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Carlusha

« Reply #36 on: 19:26 17-Aug-2012 »
Young Charlie Gilmore only served a quarter of his sentence - so 4 months. However, he also had to serve a 4 month curfew at home with his Mum and stepdad.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #37 on: 20:13 17-Aug-2012 »
Indeed, but his sentence was 18 months and there is no guarantee that the Pussy Riot girlies will not have their sentence reduced in due course.

However, I have knocked up a quick blog relating to how FEMEN have supported the Pussy Riot cause - by chainsawing down a massive public Christian monument.  ::)

Young Charlie got 18 months, Pussy Riot 2 years, so what should FEMEN get for the actions within the video link in my blog?

http://www.odessatalk.com/2012/08/supporting-pussy-riot-what-the-fk-femen/

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: 20:23 17-Aug-2012 »
Gilmore did not claim to be making any manner of political statement.  At his trial, he claimed not to be aware of the significance of the Centaph, a memorial to war dead and was apparently drunk and stoned when he did this, said he was sorry.  The political slant to the story was more about the excesses of the privileged classes, and not about political speech.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/07/charlie-gilmour-prison-david-mitchell

At the time of Gilmore's sentencing, was anyone trying to make a freedom of expression issue out of it?
   To be sure, the Pussy Riot situation also has the desecration of a sanctified part of the Church, and the Charlie Gilmore case is similar in that regard.  If protesting the political activities of the Church doesn't mitigate or change the crime of desecration into something else, then the two situations are quite similar.  Some people might regard the Church involvement in politics as a sort of invitation...
Pop performer Madonna came out in support of Pussy Riot, and Orthodox priests were getting into the spirit of things themselves, burning her photos, the other day.  None went to jail, and of course they can protest Pussy Riot anywhere they wish with no concern whatever that they might be fined or jailed, unlike thousands of other sorts of protesters. 
The Pussy Riot band was created  to make "Protest Art,"  so while they might have some other motives, desire for fame or religious bigotry, it is hard to deny the political expression aspect especially since they are notable figures in the protest movement.

albert

« Reply #39 on: 20:26 17-Aug-2012 »
The little slut should get 5 years minimum. Femen is a huge organization, but I know not who pays for it, although I have my suspicions. If she tried that here, 5 years would be a blessing. It's a really LONG roll down the hill from our Church, nice tits or not. It's a Navy Church and most parishoners are Spetznatz. 

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #40 on: 20:36 17-Aug-2012 »
Gilmore did not claim to be making any manner of political statement.  At his trial, he claimed not to be aware of the significance of the Centaph, a memorial to war dead and was apparently drunk and stoned when he did this, said he was sorry.  The political slant to the story was more about the excesses of the privileged classes, and not about political speech.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/07/charlie-gilmour-prison-david-mitchell
At the time of Gilmore's sentencing, was anyone trying to make a freedom of expression issue out of it?
   To be sure, the Pussy Riot situation also has the desecration of a sanctified part of the Church, and the Charlie Gilmore case is similar in that regard.  If protesting the political activities of the Church doesn't mitigate or change the crime of desecration into something else, then the two situations are quite similar.  Some people might regard the Church involvement in politics as a sort of invitation...
Pop performer Madonna came out in support of Pussy Riot, and Orthodox priests were getting into the spirit of things themselves, burning her photos, the other day.  None went to jail, and of course they can protest Pussy Riot anywhere they wish with no concern whatever that they might be fined or jailed, unlike thousands of other sorts of protesters. 
The Pussy Riot band was created  to make "Protest Art,"  so while they might have some other motives, desire for fame or religious bigotry, it is hard to deny the political expression aspect especially since they are notable figures in the protest movement.

What?  Gilmore did what he did during a student protest march that turned into a riot.  How is that not political or a freedom of speech/expression issue?

What would happen if the Pussy Riot stunt took place in a synagogue or mosque?  The liberal elite would be condemning them for religious intolerance at the very least, but because it is a Russian Orthodox cathedral is was OK?

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: 20:59 17-Aug-2012 »
Indeed, but his sentence was 18 months and there is no guarantee that the Pussy Riot girlies will not have their sentence reduced in due course.

However, I have knocked up a quick blog relating to how FEMEN have supported the Pussy Riot cause - by chainsawing down a massive public Christian monument.  ::)

Young Charlie got 18 months, Pussy Riot 2 years, so what should FEMEN get for the actions within the video link in my blog?

http://www.odessatalk.com/2012/08/supporting-pussy-riot-what-the-fk-femen/

Not even an Orthodox Church cross, but Catholic one.

I am tired of these chicks. I hope they go to jail for this one.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: 23:19 17-Aug-2012 »
Apparently, high tuition was putting a dent in his allowance:
Gilmour was apparently in attendance at one other riot, the one where Charles' and Camilla's car was attacked.  This story says he grabbed the helmet off the head of a cop, for a trophy, earning cheers of approval, from the mob:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337506/Tuition-fee-riot-Charlie-Gilmour-mob-surrounded-Charles-Camillas-car.html

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: 13:55 22-Aug-2012 »
An interesting cultural analysis of "Pussy Riot,"  in the NYT
includes the Jucy quote from "Pussy Riot's"  lawyers who are appealing the verdict:
"Let them go to hell with their Pardon!"
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/arts/music/pussy-riot-was-carefully-calibrated-for-protest.html