Author Topic: A film about Happiness in the Ukraine  (Read 2445 times)

Offline MWDabbs

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 217
  • -Receive: 285
    • Opera Mobile Store Blog
Re: A film about Happiness in the Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: 14:53 14-Apr-2012 »
Two points,

A) hiring high profile lawyers to defend them, and
B) having their followers live in sub-humane conditions with no vacations for $3 a day.

How about we take one of those high profile lawyers and smack the entire organization over the head with "it"?  Odds are pretty darned good that by decreasing the number of high profile lawyers just by one, everyone else could probably make at least $4 a day and have a roll of toilet paper.
We cannot afford governments that cannot afford to take care of our veterans.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
Re: A film about Happiness in the Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: 17:40 14-Apr-2012 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_Temple

Many cults pretend to be something else than what they are.

Liberal backing?
While the Temple forged media alliances, the move to San Francisco also opened the group to San Francisco media scrutiny. After Jones and hundreds of Temple members fled to Guyana following media investigations, Mayor Moscone issued a press release stating the Mayor's office would not investigate the Temple.[58][74] During this time, Harvey Milk spoke at Peoples Temple political rallies[75] and wrote a letter to President Jimmy Carter after the investigations began praising Jones and stating that the leader of those attempting to extricate relatives from Jonestown was telling "bold-faced lies".[76][77][78]

PORTOS vs Peoples Temple Agricultural Project

Persecution or Scepticism ?

Fact about Jones Cult
In all, 918 people died, including 276 children.[93] It was the greatest single loss of American civilian life in a non-natural disaster until the events of September 11, 2001.[94][95][96] This includes four that died at the Temple headquarters in Georgetown that night.[97] Congressman Leo Ryan became the only Congressman murdered in the line of duty in United States history.[98]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_suicide

You did a nice piece on the Newfies, but I must say that I dislike religious movements and religious sects even more.
Do not know why people need a leader to think for them.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write