Author Topic: Homesteading in Ukraine  (Read 11592 times)

Carlusha

Re: Homesteading in Ukraine
« Reply #30 on: 16:29 21-May-2012 »
Weird, according to SWWTT until I mentioned it was in response to a request to clear up the garbage for UAH 10. She then said it means "Don't want it!"

I do hope you do not end up with the neighbours from hell.

Consider using salo instead of soap for the forthcoming party!

Offline DarrenF

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 193
  • -Receive: 82
« Reply #31 on: 17:18 21-May-2012 »
I'm not sure if you'll ever need homesteading advice. Here's a possible resource. It's America centric. Just ignore the political dustups, Folks chime in from other countries. Some Canadians post regularly. You may be able to find info to rehabilitate the apple trees you keep. The site is an information gold mine.

Sorry about the neighbor. Around here the solution is direct, quick and usually involves a firearm to reach an understanding. Of course that probably isn't possible in Ukraine.

www.homesteadingtoday.com

Be aware that many on the site think the end of the world, in a manner of speaking, is just around the corner. Try not to aggravate the natives no matter how silly some of the stuff appears.  ::) Many of them have useful knowledge to share.
« Last Edit: 17:24 21-May-2012 by DarrenF »

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #32 on: 19:18 21-May-2012 »
Weird, according to SWWTT until I mentioned it was in response to a request to clear up the garbage for UAH 10. She then said it means "Don't want it!"

I do hope you do not end up with the neighbours from hell.

Consider using salo instead of soap for the forthcoming party!

They're not quite neighbors from hell and once the fence and security system goes up there won't be any problems. After Babushka caught Papa giving criminal orders their haven't been any other problems and we've left things just to see if they'd be taken. I caught his eye a couple of times while I was working on the trees with a hand saw and I'm 200 lbs and lean. I gave a him a cold stare and he averted his eyes. Gorilla tactics, I know, but I think he knows that I know who he is and if he crosses me, well.... he'll find out who I am but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

We always take our video camera. I've seen no reason to think that they're being abused but I wouldn't be surprised by it and if he does something stupid and I catch him on video, some acquaintances of mine will pay him a visit and inform him why he needs to do better for his children.

I do feel for the children. My wife is wonderful with children and they are interested our little girl. They ask her questions and she shows them some kindness which they don't get much of at home. Our daughter will likely grow up around them so I hope in the future will be able to help them some. Perhaps some anonymous gifts left for them might brighten their world. Running around bare foot with Papa's broken beer bottles and other assorted trash around the yard seems a bit dark. We'll see what happens.

Anyways,

thanks for the link, DarrenF. Good stuff. I'm doing quite a bit of research on some projects I want to build: smokehouse, chicken coup, greenhouse, composting system/heating system for the greenhouse, beehive. I want maximize production. I can sympathize with the end-is-nigh crowd. I think Noam Chomsky says it best. The human species is headed for a cliff. Most people view themselves as separate from the environment in which they live and it's disastrous. Look around.

I also think corporate globalization is a catastrophe and it's best to get the hell out of the path of destruction. Local, sustainable communities and economies is the key to my children's future.

« Last Edit: 19:32 21-May-2012 by kyivkpic »
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2028
    • Kiev Life
« Reply #33 on: 09:50 22-May-2012 »

Well, the fence is going up as soon as possible.

I have just got a very good quote for fencing at trade prices...PM me if you need details.
I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: 10:19 23-May-2012 »

Well, the fence is going up as soon as possible.

I have just got a very good quote for fencing at trade prices...PM me if you need details.

Thanks, Ace. PM forthcoming.

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2028
    • Kiev Life
« Reply #35 on: 12:08 23-May-2012 »
Try not to aggravate the natives no matter how silly some of the stuff appears.  ::) Many of them have useful knowledge to share.

Sounds like here...

BTW - PM sent back
I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: 19:45 28-May-2012 »
Anyone have any experience with surveyors? Recommendations, costs? I figure it's prudent to have one come and find the precise lines for the fence. There are markers for our plot of agricultural land in the field but I haven't been able to find any around the house. There is an old fence that I removed on the side next to the wooded lot. The fence that used to separate our plot on the side of the neighbor is mostly gone and rotten.

Not much news about the homestead. We got the rest of the garden finished. Two rows of tomato plants yesterday. It's not enormous, 30ft x 25 feet. I used the old fence posts that weren't too rotten to put up a chicken wire fence to protect it until we can get the perimeter fence up.

We're having a tree cutting party this coming weekend. Shashliek, swimming in the lakes, and stacking up logs. I hope the weather is accommodating.

@Tnic, if you'd like some apple wood for your smoker let me know :)

« Last Edit: 18:12 18-Jun-2012 by kyivkpic »

Offline Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4076
  • -Receive: 1778
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #37 on: 04:30 29-May-2012 »
I know in the US the boundaries are marked with steel pins in the ground.  Dunno if its the same here or not, maybe a metal detector would find them?

Hold on to that wood mate.  I just may take you up on it in the next year or so.   ;)
The only way to stop evil men is good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: 21:56 06-Jun-2012 »
Found the markers and solved the problem with the neighbor, I hope :-\.

I drove to the house last Tuesday sans the women folk. I was near the front corner of our property adjacent to his looking for the steel pins which I finally found. The old fence is gone there and the children were out playing. Papa come over and introduced himself as Igor. I reciprocated and told him that I will be building a fence. I asked him if there would be any problems with tearing down the rest of the old fence. He said no and then asked if he could do some work for me. I thought for a second and told him to come with me. I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt since he didn't take the bait after getting caught the first time.

I told him the old toilet and the strange makeshift closet next to it that was filled with an old tv and trash needed to be torn down and removed. I also wanted him to tear down the rest of the old fence and to organize the wood in the barn into two stacks; usable and for burning. In addition, I wanted every last piece of garbage removed from my property and for all of the remaining grass and weeds to be cut. I offered a generous wage and told him that I wanted it finished in 4 days. He agreed.

The children had followed us onto my property while I was showing the jobs and I asked him if we could have a private conversation. He sent them back to the house and I told him what Babushka had told me she saw and heard regarding our baby stroller. He looked down and fidgeted. I told him that I don't want any problems and that if I have any problems with him that I have much more money( a bluff but he didn't know) and more resources than he and that I could make serious problems for him. He understood. He wanted to do more but I told him that if he did as I asked than I would have more work for him. I told him that I don't need his friends and he volunteered, "ne vodka" . sure, ok.

I decided to go two days later to check on the progress. He had finished nearly everything to my absolute $$%^ing surprise.

Over the weekend we had a gathering of our friends. He cut down 6 trees with his chain saw and over the next two weeks he is going to be cutting the apple wood into 30 cm logs and stacking it against the barn. I had him cut a stump for splitting the logs and I'll be doing that at my leisure. He's also repairing the door on the barn, putting up a new outhouse out of sight behind the house and breaking all the dead wood into small pieces for cooking fires.

My wife fed him and he talked with her and Babushka. It turns out the children are actually his grandchildren. Their father (Igor's wife's son) is in prison. The oldest is going to a summer camp and my wife tells me their situation is not as bad as it looks. I'm not sure what she meant.

He assures me that he is "dobre mushina"
He, his wife and the children are all quite respectful of us now. Let's hope it lasts. I had another private conversation with him on Monday and he agreed to clean the garbage on his property as well. I told him that I know the wage I gave him is quite generous and that it was because of the children. I think he understood.

He is working at another property and building a fence he told us. I'm going to check out his work and may have him help put up the fence if my wife can ever decide on what she wants.
« Last Edit: 18:10 18-Jun-2012 by kyivkpic »

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: 22:10 16-Jun-2012 »
quick update.

We went this week to submit the documents to Zhek and some other office. My job is to drive there with babushka and wait as we put the property in her name for various reasons. The whole documentation process is described in P-N's thread about buying property. The process can be expedited for a price but we need to save cash.

5 apple trees and one dead walnut tree have been cut. We decided to leave 2 for the time being for shade. Our back lot is going to be an orchard and we've already planted 2 new apple trees, a pear, apricot and we have 3 cherry trees.

Igor fixed up the barn door and stacked up the wood. I'll split it and stack it up in the barn myself. He also built the toilet which the men will need while building. He's completed everything else we agreed to.

We'll be starting the fence soon and we already have some large radishes that added to our salad today. We're taking a tent next weekend to see the place in the evening and to go fishing at the lake nearby.

The water in the well which is about 25 meters down the road from our gate is at 6 meters down. We need to dig a well and it looks like it won't be very difficult. At the well today some ladies came up to my wife and gave us some candies. A lady put them in my hand and I smiled real big and said "spaciba boshor.' My wife told me that her mother had just died....f%&K :-[
« Last Edit: 22:18 16-Jun-2012 by kyivkpic »

Offline Tnic

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #40 on: 05:21 17-Jun-2012 »
Sounds like you're in the process of cementing a solid relationship with your neighbor.  Excellent work and Igor seems to be willing to work.  I've always heard it said that FSUers respect strength and it sounds like you've hit on the right approach.  Hoping it will hold up over time KP.

Enjoy your camping trip in a trash free zone.  Will there be some okroshka with those radishes?

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: 18:25 18-Jun-2012 »
Will there be some okroshka with those radishes?

We made some a few week ago. It's not my favorite to be honest.

We have a tripod with a pot and yesterday we made stew with meat, potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, peas, onion and carrot

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #42 on: 05:33 06-Jul-2012 »
http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.ca/

They have a cool facebook page also
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline Tnic

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #43 on: 05:50 06-Jul-2012 »
Nice link!  Thanks Clan.  They have a great p-butter recipe too.  hmmm

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: 13:27 26-Jul-2012 »
The back lot is cleared and ready for the foundation and the garden is producing nicely.